Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What?????? TN has very mild weather that is extremely conducive to exercise, much more so than Florida, at least central to south Florida.

I can come up with positives for both states, well, I'll really have to think hard when it comes to southwest Florida, but I'm sure I can come up with something... I know, they have palm trees! There's something positive!

But anyway, I'd much rather be outdoors in Tennessee year-round than Florida.
Being from the north originally, in South Florida during the summer I had to stay indoors- the heat and humidity was unbearable. I also got tired of intense heat everyday by 8 AM, and having the central air on 10-11 months out of the year.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 01:10 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times
Well it's not all bad in FL. I mean anywhere you live in the state, your no further than a 2 hour drive to the beach. We have more sunny days than rainy ones though when it rains, it pours. Where else can you watch the sunrise on one coast and sunset on the other coast in the same day? Heck, across the street for that matter if your in the Keys. (By the way, Key West has the absolute best sunsets) Yeah it's hot in the summer but we all know to plan our day around the morning hours because we all know it's going to rain at 2:00 in the afternoon everyday. There's always some kind of craft fair, club meet, festival or something going on outdoors all year long at least where i live. Yeah we have 2 months during the year we don't need AC or Heat and there is air conditioning everywhere we go in the summer but it's the same up north only they have heat on everywhere they go. Unless you like to be out in the freezing cold snowmobiling or skiing, your stuck indoors for 3 or 4 months too so really it's no different being stuck indoors in the summer from the heat. All in all said, it is getting expensive for everyone but for those who can afford it, the benefits I think are worth it.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:29 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,914 times
Also, I think that because Florida has so many who are new to our state, they tend to see the negatives, but haven't been here long enough to experience the positives (strong sense of community, deep friendships, finding their niche/routines ie- back roads to avoid bad traffic, favorite grocery stores, etc. Things that require some time to cultivate.)

I was born and raised in Miami...so I guess my negative opinion of Miami carries some weight? I visit the Florida forum to keep up to date on info for my in-laws who are trying to sell their home. Miami is also my hometown and it breaks my heart to see what Miami has become.

When I see families with kids trying to move to Miami....it drives me nuts. The best I could do is suggest they rent for a year so they can get a feel for it.

If it is a single person, rich folks, etc., go for it. My gripe is with South Florida, I don't know the rest of Florida so I keep my mouth shut.

I left Miami and I have no regrets...I just wish I would have left sooner.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Yeah we have 2 months during the year we don't need AC or Heat and there is air conditioning everywhere we go in the summer but it's the same up north only they have heat on everywhere they go. Unless you like to be out in the freezing cold snowmobiling or skiing, your stuck indoors for 3 or 4 months too so really it's no different being stuck indoors in the summer from the heat.
Well, that's true for up North, but the thread concerns TN/NC/SC.

And JimKing said that if you are not into exercise than you should live in one of those states, which seems kind of odd.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well, that's true for up North, but the thread concerns TN/NC/SC.

And JimKing said that if you are not into exercise than you should live in one of those states, which seems kind of odd.
Well i was just trying to give an example to go along with my ENTIRE post. I assumed people in TN/NC/SC (sorry i referred to up North) use heat and probably do stay indoors a little more during the colder months (not necessary for 4 months like way up north) but anyway, my point was that as much as we use AC down here, you might use Heat up there which wasn't even the issue i was trying to point out on my reply. Geessh..... i give up.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:08 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
My complaints are more directed @ South Florida (see my posts in the Miami forum).

- Cost of living
- Traffic
- Rudeness, discrimination for being non-Hispanic
- Lack of things to do

(in summary).

Hey, but northern Florida is actually OK - I'd live there!

I have my own thread about why I hate south FL. Not many complaints about north FL, I too would live there if I was rich, houses arent cheap even in north FL and theres hurricanes to fear. I can live in the northeast for a fraction of the cost and much less to fear about hurricanes. The weather is better than FL in the summer and worse in the winter, although id like some snow for a change, it gets cold.

North FL isnt bad except for the very expensive houses and hurricanes. I consider the northeast to be just as desirable in my opinion but its much cheaper.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:07 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
I have a home in South Florida but I also have a home in the upstate of South Carolina. I like the upstate it gets cold but for 3 months at the most. I have been there in the winter and use the fireplace with the a/c fan on and it warms the whole house. We had snow this year and it was like the whole town shut down. The snow was gone by the time the sun went down. My dog loves it there. Down here the a/c is on all year round. The people are nice up there its like it was here 20 years ago. All my friends are here but most are selling and moving away. Down here most new people don't know half the people around them and don't care too. Don't get me wrong I love Florida and have been here all my life. But it's sad to see what it has become.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:30 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I have my own thread about why I hate south FL. Not many complaints about north FL, I too would live there if I was rich, houses arent cheap even in north FL and theres hurricanes to fear. I can live in the northeast for a fraction of the cost and much less to fear about hurricanes. The weather is better than FL in the summer and worse in the winter, although id like some snow for a change, it gets cold.

North FL isnt bad except for the very expensive houses and hurricanes. I consider the northeast to be just as desirable in my opinion but its much cheaper.

Most of the folks are not rich and actually live well on incomes of $35K plus... I have many friends that a combined income (wife/husband) is on the $60K and have very nice homes and live well. The key is to live within you financial means.

Don't be afraid of hurricanes, is you prepare yourself for a hurricane and follow the guidance provided everything will be fine. If your house if affected that is what you have HOI for. I was in Homestead for Hurricane Andrew and we evacuated as directed, granted the base housing was destroyed and my renters insurance paid for the replacement of my belongings.

Again don't fear what you don't have control over, just be prepare and follow the directions/hurricane safety checklist. Learn to live with the risk.

If you can't take the risk, then you must evaluate your position and look for greener pasture. Go north or to a location that you feel safe. Most of the other 49 states have weather or other risk that provide unsafe conditions. I will take a hurricane versus flood, blizzards, earthquakes or mudslides. I even experienced a volcano in Iceland.

The key to survival of any weather disaster is awareness and education. If you know the risk and opted to live in the area you can't blame Mother Nature, was your choice….

Last edited by sunrico90; 02-24-2007 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: corrected errors

Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 PM

134 posts, read 601,014 times
Read my comments on the "FL exodus" thread about TN and NC. Both HOT and so is SC. Georgia, however, one must credit that state in not allowing buliding along their coastline. But , HOT, lol lol

Old 02-24-2007, 07:03 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
hereinfla, Cil, and jhlcomp. I think you have summed it all up very well and very nicely.
I'm in Miami...and it frustrates me no end to keep seeing the same complaints over and over from the same people every chance they get. Not that everything they say is ridiculous. There are some facts but I think it all comes down to attitude, too much comparing to other parts, yet they don't leave Miami, and probably have a series of other problems. So I think if you have to be here because obviously some maybe just cannot pick up and move, then why not make the effort to look for the good in people and places? I think their own lives would be so much more meaningful and less stressful if only they could change their attitudes a little bit.

I think it was Cil that said that she found this forum when looking for relocation spots. That's how I found it. My knee jerk reaction at my HOI premiums was THIS IS ENOUGH. The more I read here and THERE, the more I started to realize that heck, I am just fine here. Not perfect but well enough. Someday I may look to north Florida to get a little quieter, slower, way of life because by then I will be that much slower too. But in the meantime, I enjoy where I am and what I have which is a lot more than many, unfortunately. I'm not rich by any means. We work and we pay bills and we keep on going but there are so many that are really living in poverty, without enough food or medical care or a warm place to sleep, or someone to give them a hug, that it makes me sick to hear so many complain about stuff that is REALLY, after all is said and done, not very significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida