Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:23 PM

518 posts, read 2,227,146 times

Advertisements

Had to laugh when looking at the subject line of this thread. I'm a frequent visitor to the Asheville/western North Carolina threads on the N.C. forum and much of what is posted there certainly couldn't be categorized as positive. Typical comments regarding Asheville: Crime is on the rise. Housing prices are too high and building costs are skyrocketing. Traffic is horrible. The schools are poor. The job market stinks. Asheville is too liberal; the areas around it are too conservative. And some of the locals' posts show the type of rudeness that South Florida is known for.

As for Tennessee, it is the trendy new escape route for Floridians and I think there's still a honeymoon period. All I know is that my wife and I visited a heavily advertised development on the Cumberland Plateau while searching for retirement property and quickly determined we wouldn't be happy in a place that was almost an hour away from necessities like grocery shopping, medical care, etc. Hordes of South Floridians are buying land in that development and are thrilled about it, and I respect their reasons and opinions -- to each his or her own. Will they be happy five years from now? Only time will tell.

I thought vpcats' post was terrific. South Florida is not perfect, but many people love it here, warts and all, and wouldn't think of leaving. We'll probably live at least part-time near Asheville or Tennessee's Tri-Cities when we retire simply because we love the mountains and the temperate summers, but that's a long way off. In the meantime, we will do what we can to make things better here. Get involved in efforts to reform things like windstorm insurance and property taxes; something good just might happen and you'll never know unless you try. Repetitive screeds about "why I hate South Florida," on the other hand, accomplish little and tend after a while to reveal more about the poster than the region they're posting about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 72,121 times
Default florida

Vacationing visiting my family in Tampa safety harbor area being from new York it is beautiful with the ocean but the landscaping is not everything. The bugs were what did not sell me when i was looking for colleges. I could not believe just sitting during the day by the pool the crawling bugs and at night the flying bugs. I don't mean too be rude but in new York where i live they spray once and that is it no bugs crawling or flying too bother your beautiful evening or day by the pool

Old 02-25-2007, 01:08 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,956 times
it frustrates me no end to keep seeing the same complaints over and over from the same people every chance they get.

Oh you and me both and it's quite irritating because like you said, it's the same people and those who complain sure read things the wrong way sometimes so be sure to type exactly the way you want it read cause boy, it will stir someone up. We get the point already. What's a shame is that new people to the forum who want to move read these posts from the negative talkers and probably make their decision based on them but when in reality, it's only a handful of people in the whole state so be sure not to take anything to heart because what's bad for one person might be good for another.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:16 PM

142 posts, read 578,826 times
Default Summer doesn't work for me..

I've lived here for 20 years off and on. I've owne the same home for the last 19. As hard as I've tried I can't live here in the summer. I'm not an AC person. Finally, last year, I was able to buy a home in my native Pa. I like the contrast.

The clients I have in S. Florida are mostly natives and are very friendly. I clear out of here in late May and that will get earlier and earlier every year. I come back early Nov.

I'd agree with the following..

Lack of affordable housing in desirable areas-I paid 68k back in '89 and I thought 'that' was high then. I wouldn't live in Florida at these prices.

Cost of living-Everything cost more here.. period. I buy my clothes when I'm in Pa ..no sales tax on clothing there.

Conjestion- Scary really...I wont ride my motorscooter on the main roads anymore. I'm thinking of wearing my MC helmet in my car..

Property Taxes-Mine are 1100 a year. But I can't currently move the way things are, unless I don't mind paying 4k more for taxes. But I think if I went through the hassle of selling my house, I'd move to Pa full time under (even) the ideal tax situation..

HOI- Mine is 1200 a year.
Crime (but that is everywhere)- this is onething that I think will have me outta here in 5 years or less. Getting worse every day..

Hurricanes - I have a real good insurance company. So I don't care if my house blows away. In fact I hope it does. I'll be in Pa ..send me a check..

Heat & Humidity-A deal breaker for me. If I knew in 89 what I know now, I wouldn't have moved.

Wages- Start your own business. There is demand for everything here. Plenty of successful businesses here who are not very good . So you can do well if you do it right..

Over Crowded Schools-Like dropping your kid off at prison every day. I would never feed my child to the sharks. 2 words.. home school..!

Insects-Fortunatly no longer an issue for me anymore. But yech..!! They grossed me out every summer I've been here.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:31 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Lets see, I looked and got these from other threads, these seem to be the main complaints...
I am sure I missed a few. But remember one person might hate these things the next may disagree and love these things.

Lack of affordable housing in desirable areas
Cost of living
Conjestion
Property Taxes
HOI
Crime (but that is everywhere)
Hurricanes
Heat & Humidity
Wages
Over Crowded Schools
Insects

1. I find Florida extremely more affordable than Massachusetts ever was
2. Ditto
3. Conjestion? Try driving around DC
4. Same as #1 and #2
5. My HOI is reasonable
6. Not much crime, if any, in VB
7. Hurricanes? I'd rather a hurricane every so-many-years than a crippling snow storm every other week
8. Heat & Humidity - it's hot and humid in the summer. No different than the northeast in the winter when you can't go outside or your nose will freeze off
9. Wages - Yeah, they probably stink down here but we're retired
10. I can't comment on the schools
11. Insects - Haven't seen any. We get sprayed quarterly. No bugs

Old 02-25-2007, 04:20 PM

142 posts, read 578,826 times
"Insects - Haven't seen any. We get sprayed quarterly. No bugs"

You haven't seen any bugs..??? Obviously you don't go outside during the 7 hot months.. Also bug spray is bad for you and they overspray in Florida. It builds up in your system. That is a problem you don't have to be concerned about in the north..

When I did spend summers here I would spray only if I had an emergency. I worked for a pest control company on my first sales job. I could tell you stories about the techs health related woes, a stuttering manager and customer lawsuits.

Spray your home as a last resort whereever you live..

Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2dadark View Post
"Insects - Haven't seen any. We get sprayed quarterly. No bugs"

You haven't seen any bugs..??? Obviously you don't go outside during the 7 hot months.. Also bug spray is bad for you and they overspray in Florida. It builds up in your system. That is a problem you don't have to be concerned about in the north..

When I did spend summers here I would spray only if I had an emergency. I worked for a pest control company on my first sales job. I could tell you stories about the techs health related woes, a stuttering manager and customer lawsuits.

Spray your home as a last resort whereever you live..
Oh please!!!! I just spent two weeks in the northeast in February and I'm just getting my dry itchy skin quieted down. Husband had bronchitis. Grandkids had colds and ear infections. I'll take a little whif of bug spray any day.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
it frustrates me no end to keep seeing the same complaints over and over from the same people every chance they get.

Oh you and me both and it's quite irritating because like you said, it's the same people and those who complain sure read things the wrong way sometimes so be sure to type exactly the way you want it read cause boy, it will stir someone up. We get the point already. What's a shame is that new people to the forum who want to move read these posts from the negative talkers and probably make their decision based on them but when in reality, it's only a handful of people in the whole state so be sure not to take anything to heart because what's bad for one person might be good for another.
But you are buying land in Tennessee.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
But you are buying land in Tennessee.
You don't think i should? why or why not?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
I have a friend whose parents bought some land and a house in TN somewhere for a little under 100k to retire. Last I checked they are now trying to sell it, but I'm not sure what the reason is.

My friend (in her 20s) likes the property.... but it's so damn far from anything, it's not very good for people who need schools, jobs, and culture. Retirees? Fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida