Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:25 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,849 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been reading the city data site trying to figure out where to move as I just retired from the military. Almost all of the state forums are 98% positive with a few negative posts, but this Florida forum is 60% negative and only 40% positive, why the negativity?

I lived in florida close to 20 years ago in Panama City, I did not own, rented only. Are the costs and weather that bad now, or what is the driving factor for the negativity?

Thanks for any insight, I'm considering moving to FL, no family there, only a potential job at the Navy base in Panama City is what would bring me there.

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 06:46 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,492,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Hello all,

I've been reading the city data site trying to figure out where to move as I just retired from the military. Almost all of the state forums are 98% positive with a few negative posts, but this Florida forum is 60% negative and only 40% positive, why the negativity?

I lived in florida close to 20 years ago in Panama City, I did not own, rented only. Are the costs and weather that bad now, or what is the driving factor for the negativity?

Thanks for any insight, I'm considering moving to FL, no family there, only a potential job at the Navy base in Panama City is what would bring me there.

Tony
I think the sole reason for so many negative posts and not for the states that you listed in your title is because it deals with money. Those states have WAY more affordable housing than here in FL, AND don't have the high prices of taxes and insurance as well. I might be wrong, but living in FL and looking at those places to move to...that's one reason why I am looking. Plus, they're not over congested (YET) with too many people and construction and traffic...

Old 02-24-2007, 07:24 AM

458 posts, read 599,587 times
If you are one of the 70% of the US adult population who is sedentary and not into exercise, Florida has very little to offer you. You should live in TN, NC, SC or where ever.

But if you are an active, outdoors person who realizes that sweating and exercise are healthy, it is Florida or S. Cali all the way. The many activities and no winters make them an active person's paradise.

The higher cost of living, congestion, etc. are worth it for people who love being active outdoors 12 months a year.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:32 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Lets see, I looked and got these from other threads, these seem to be the main complaints...
I am sure I missed a few. But remember one person might hate these things the next may disagree and love these things.

Lack of affordable housing in desirable areas
Cost of living
Conjestion
Property Taxes
HOI
Crime (but that is everywhere)
Hurricanes
Heat & Humidity
Wages
Over Crowded Schools
Insects

Old 02-24-2007, 07:38 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,492,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
If you are one of the 70% of the US adult population who is sedentary and not into exercise, Florida has very little to offer you. You should live in TN, NC, SC or where ever.

But if you are an active, outdoors person who realizes that sweating and exercise are healthy, it is Florida or S. Cali all the way. The many activities and no winters make them an active person's paradise.

The higher cost of living, congestion, etc. are worth it for people who love being active outdoors 12 months a year.
That's an odd post. You almost make it sound like there aren't any outdoor activities in TN, NC, and SC. Having been to all three states, I remember going hiking, horseback riding, swimming, trail walking, playing sports, boating....hmmm. I live in FL, and I know I go to the beach and lay around...MIGHT go swimming, where I am it's hard to find horseback riding and I know because I have tried...definitely have not gone hiking up any mountains here...please tell me how those 3 states, who are known for their beautiful outdoors, have nothing for exercise.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post

What?????? TN has very mild weather that is extremely conducive to exercise, much more so than Florida, at least central to south Florida.

I can come up with positives for both states, well, I'll really have to think hard when it comes to southwest Florida, but I'm sure I can come up with something... I know, they have palm trees! There's something positive!

But anyway, I'd much rather be outdoors in Tennessee year-round than Florida.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,377,367 times
Tony1790 - What you are reading are the posts of a small sampling of the population who, unfortunately and justifiably, are extremely discouraged by what has taken place in Florida re the escalating cost of owning a home, quality of life, etc. Many have personally experienced considerable loss from one hurricane or another. Insurance companies are slow to respond and even as I write this, one of my neighbors is still waiting for a new roof (Hurricane Wilma 2005).

I live in South Florida and while we have become extremely concerned about hurricane insurance (ours is now $7541 a year) and rising property taxes (our is low as we purchased in 1994), I can not speak for the rest of the state.

If you have been offered a job in Panama, then consider it - come down and visit - talk to people - everyone's experience and living requirements vary.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Tony, while I personally don't much care for Panama City (too many stucco strip malls, not enough personality) I do think north Florida has much to offer.
Most of the negative Florida posts revolve around problems in central/south Florida, but not all of Florida's problems are strictly limited to the southern peninsula.
HOI and property taxes are genuine concerns for the entire state. And congestion is not unthinkable for the entire state, either.
Everyone has to do their research.
While I have read negative stuff about NC, SC and TN, I think the problems of south Florida do not exist there, at least not in nearly the same magnitude.
Plus: I think people just like to vent. Repeatedly.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 02-24-2007 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Tony

Tony-

I think if you will check, many of the negative posts about Florida come from some of the same people who post the same opinions ad nausem over and over. For instance- Need Affordable Housing has never answered my questions, but appears to ba a kid living with his parents, without a job, who posts about a number of other states, yet has never traveled outside of the south Florida area. The_Pines has stated that he/she lives in a two bedroom house with the sister and her child and his/her bedroom is a storage shed behind the house.

Also, I think that because Florida has so many who are new to our state, they tend to see the negatives, but haven't been here long enough to experience the positives (strong sense of community, deep friendships, finding their niche/routines ie- back roads to avoid bad traffic, favorite grocery stores, etc. Things that require some time to cultivate.)

To use the anaology of a home that one has lived in for a number of years. You may have a breakfast nook that is cozy and is the place you gather your thoughts each morning while enjoying a cup of coffee while reading the paper and that perfect spot where you put your Christmas tree each year and the memories that it invokes. You may not even notice the front door that sticks when you walk in or the dirty base boards, yet those are the little negatives that would color the first impression of a new buyer. So it is in the broader sense with transplants to our (or other) states.

When I first came to this site, I tended to be very negative about Jacksonville and used this site to research other areas for relocation purposes. What I found was that I needed to make that mental list of positives and negatives as it applied to me and my kids. I also realized that there are good people everywhere and I needed to look a little harder here before I looked for greener pastures elsewhere. (And at this point, many of you are probably thinking DUH!!!!what took you so long!)

The decision that I have made is to remain in Jax, seek out like-minded folks (shoutout to Myfask here!) and become more involved in being part of the solution. And guess what, the negatives have gotten smaller for me and the positives have grown. Funny how that works!

I think that if you want to return, it will work out. It's all about attitude! Keep us posted on what you decide.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM

170 posts, read 285,726 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Tony
My complaints are more directed @ South Florida (see my posts in the Miami forum).

- Cost of living
- Traffic
- Rudeness, discrimination for being non-Hispanic
- Lack of things to do

(in summary).

Hey, but northern Florida is actually OK - I'd live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida