Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 34,263 times

Advertisements

We spent an all too short weekend on Amelia Island in the fall. We seek a coastal area home for young, vital retirement. Would be very grateful to all who might give advice on lifestyle there in Fernandina Beach, windstorm concerns, boating! the marina, and best reasonably priced area to live around FB... Please take a moment to respond...Thank YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Actually, I got married at the Ritz-Carlton there (8 yrs ago). It is a beautiful area. Beautiful beach. If you are retired- Fernandina has quaint shops and restaurants.

sunny

Old 02-24-2007, 10:06 PM

36 posts, read 141,319 times
Great place. Sure wish I was back down there. Ice storms in
Missouri too much. You will love it.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Hi Islandgirl
We too are seeking a home on Amelia. My husband is working there now, he comes home to PSJ every couple weeks (younger son and I need to stay here until he graduates from high school).
The affordability is the tricky part. We go back and forth between renting or buying, but the spouse leans towards buying because prices have not lowered that much and may well go back up.
Off-island is definitely cheaper.
We haven't looked into the boating too much yet, but this is something the spouse does eventually want to pursue.
Hurricanes are statisically rarer there, but you still have to be prepared.
Property taxes and homeowner's insurance are other considerations.
A lot of people like Amelia Island Plantation, but we are leaning towards Amelia Park, a traditional neighborhood development which is close to Fernandina's little downtown area.
If you google Amelia Island, the Amelia Island Living website should show up.
It gives you a feel for island life there.
It's a real place. There is light industry in the form of smelly paper mills, as well as on the mainland, and there is a Navy Base at nearby Kingsland, Georgia. There are people born and raised there who (understandably) are not necessarily thrilled to have their childhood community turned into a resort town. However, this kind of change is seemingly inevitable, and you just hope that city planners can adjust accordingly.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:35 PM

Thank you for your response...I agree... beautiful beaches... sunrises... and the shops are very nice.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Cil, Sunnyhelena,Danbomo,
Thanks all... we, too, like the area nearer the town. I am also curious about Port St. Joe... is it still nice there, too?... your pics were beautiful and reminded me of the time I spent at Port St. Joe's Park... PSJ is just the most beautiful beach in the world...but I fear insurance on the Gulf, now would be astronomical... We are also looking for a very dog friendly place, and Amelia fits that bill, too. We have Westie's that are family members... Currently live just south of Annapolis, MD, but all of youth spent in South ALA and panhandle of FLA, so, I really want to get back to heaven....

Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 PM

PSJ is not nearly as quaint as Fernandina. They are still coming along in terms of health care, shopping etc. However, the beaches (very dog friendly) are breathtaking: more beautiful than Amelia's. But the trade-off is okay by me.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Smile nice post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
PSJ is not nearly as quaint as Fernandina. They are still coming along in terms of health care, shopping etc. However, the beaches (very dog friendly) are breathtaking: more beautiful than Amelia's. But the trade-off is okay by me.
I am missing the beach more and more. Cil- any pix of your dog on the beach? We had to be careful in Boca- too many ordinances!

sunny

Old 02-26-2007, 04:01 AM

Pics of Elwood at St Joseph Bay, and Cape San Blas at Port St Joe:

At Amelia Island (below):

We saw other dogs at the Amelia beach and it seemed very mellow.
At PSJ, technically dogs are supposed to be on leash, but I only put him on if I see other people around. And of course I always clean up after him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida