Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:10 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
Ok, forget about Caylee as an "abduction." What about all the others? How is 4 in the last 15 yrs in FL even remotely possible (look at the 5 or so I listed off the top of my head)? These all made national news, so it wasnt like it wsa only on local news and it only seems like it happens more in FL because I live here and see the local news.

And speaking of Nancy Grace, when was the last time she was covering an attempted abduction case, and the case wasnt in FL?

From another post in the "Another mysterious abduction in Florida" thread:

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

New York has 78

Texas has 143

California has 221

Florida has 275.
That's sad. Numbers tell it all. Also, parents need to keep a close watch of their kids. Except maybe until high school age, no kid should be left alone at their bus stops. An 11 year old girl was in Orlando and she was kidnapped, taken to an empty house, and well...I don't like saying that word...and then she was brought back right at the stop afterwards. Sad and scary.

It's also sad that the highway system devotes part of its electronic signs for amber alerts when kids are taken, and even silver alerts (I guess for older people?), and I see those alerts more and more rather than just the travel times to the airport. Wonder if it'll get to a point when people won't start paying attention to those with the frequency they happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,395 times
It is not just Florida, it is everywhere. People can't go on vacation without keeping close tabs on their kids. How many have we heard about overseas? It is not a safe world, sad, but true. You have to be a vigilant parent, period.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 AM

263 posts, read 574,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
That's sad. Numbers tell it all. Also, parents need to keep a close watch of their kids. Except maybe until high school age, no kid should be left alone at their bus stops. An 11 year old girl was in Orlando and she was kidnapped, taken to an empty house, and well...I don't like saying that word...and then she was brought back right at the stop afterwards. Sad and scary.

It's also sad that the highway system devotes part of its electronic signs for amber alerts when kids are taken, and even silver alerts (I guess for older people?), and I see those alerts more and more rather than just the travel times to the airport. Wonder if it'll get to a point when people won't start paying attention to those with the frequency they happen.

Yup, those 2 hispanic men in Orlando were caught! Thank God! And they'll be in prison for a looooong time!

Also, speaking about that "silver alert" thing, I see it a lot in Orlando, at one point it was like a couple times a week it seems.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 AM

"It is not just Florida, it is everywhere."

You are absolutely right, it is everywhere. But, what I am saying and have observed, and what the stats show (located on previous page) is that it happens in FL more. And that is very scary.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
"It is not just Florida, it is everywhere."

You are absolutely right, it is everywhere. But, what I am saying and have observed, and what the stats show (located on previous page) is that it happens in FL more. And that is very scary.
Agreed.

I am amazed at how often I hear that statement with not only people on this board, but in public here as well. It's like back in elementary school when someone would get in trouble by the teacher and the kid would say, "But Tommy and Mary did it too", (as if that would make it OK).

But to play along anyway, I agree, child abductions can happen in any state. However having kids of my own now, the RATE at which these things happen would be a factor for me when choosing a state to permanently settle down.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:34 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
From another post in the "Another mysterious abduction in Florida" thread:
New York has 78

Texas has 143

California has 221

Florida has 275.
I tell you this most of my friends with children, not all, have left Florida to raise their children in safer places in their opinion. One friend said to me, I want my son to be able to ride his bike outside in the street, or be able to ride his bike to school. She said here in florida she couldn't let her son ride his bike to school and forget about letting your child ride their bike in the neighborhood with a parent around.

Like someone else already said Florida is a place to come if you want to be left alone by authorities. And so this is one reason why we have so many transient people.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I tell you this most of my friends with children, not all, have left Florida to raise their children in safer places in their opinion. One friend said to me, I want my son to be able to ride his bike outside in the street, or be able to ride his bike to school. She said here in florida she couldn't let her son ride his bike to school and forget about letting your child ride their bike in the neighborhood with a parent around.

Like someone else already said Florida is a place to come if you want to be left alone by authorities. And so this is one reason why we have so many transient people.

Unfortunately, your right. And it really sucks for the good folks that live here that have to worry about this stuff. FL attracts a lot of criminals, sex offenders, and malcontents, and it keeps a lot of good people from moving here, it makes a lot of good folks that have lived here for yrs leave, and the ones that you want to leave, will not leave.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 PM

268 posts, read 899,999 times
Ohhh YES!

It's horrible down here in Florida!!! JUST TERRIBLE!!! DANGEROUS!!!

Child Killers every street corner just waiting for their next little victim! Please, open your eyes, pack that heat and don't let your guard down!

Wear body armour and pepper spray, and pack that Desert Eagle in your big bullet-proof vest!

Oh, and don't forget to bring money, you need to rent right? A place to sleep? ( bring $$$$ ).

Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,827 times
Let's not forget the guy at the Boca Raton mall last year (year before last?) who shot a blonde hair lady and her 3 year old daughter outside in the parking lot. That's why u got patrol cars and dudes in cherry pickers swarming out in the mall parking lot these days. The guy was never caught and got away with it.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Ohhh YES!

It's horrible down here in Florida!!! JUST TERRIBLE!!! DANGEROUS!!!

Child Killers every street corner just waiting for their next little victim! Please, open your eyes, pack that heat and don't let your guard down!

Wear body armour and pepper spray, and pack that Desert Eagle in your big bullet-proof vest!

Oh, and don't forget to bring money, you need to rent right? A place to sleep? ( bring $$$$ ).
Nobody said it's dangerous everywhere and that there are child killers on every corner. We are saying that it is scary at how often it happens in FL. Show me another state, within the last 5 yrs, that has had more abductions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida