Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies76 View Post
The prices may not compare to Los Angeles, but neither do the salaries. Employers do not pay much here, so 300k for a house is a lot when someone is making 30k per year... plus a lot of these people are also having to pay extrordinary insurance prices as well.
It's called the "sunshine tax". Also, Florida has very little in the way of labor protection laws.

Florida would probably be OK for a 20 something beach bum or a highly educated professional that can pull in the money. It is nearly unbearable for an adult with only some college education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 10,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasunshine View Post
I live in Lakeland due to all the things you said. I discovered it 2 yrs ago after doing research on homes. I live in county of polk. My taxes are 17. while my neighbers in Hillsborough are paying 27. There is no traffic like Tampa, Beaches are 30 mins further but I got to beach only few times a year.
Hi Floridasunshine-do you agree with the negativity that the people on this thread are saying about Florida?

Old 11-03-2007, 03:37 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,272 times
I was reading the first posts in this thread from March, and well I think things have changed a little bit. Property prices are going down fast, florida-no-fault expired so no more mandatory car insurance. I am probably relocating to West Palm Beach. Rent is high, yes, but affordable with an average salary. Although keep in mind that you just need an associate degree to get an average salary; with a little bit of sacrifice, you can get a bachelor degree and your salary range would be over 42k a year easy; that will give a pretty good middle class lifestyle to a single guy. Of ocurse don't buy or rent what you can't afford; to each his own; but right now you can rent luxury apartments in downtown WPB starting from 1,000 per month. And prices will keep gooing down for a while.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:40 PM

262 posts, read 937,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
....with a little bit of sacrifice, you can get a bachelor degree and your salary range would be over 42k a year easy.
I think that would depend a lot on what the bachelor's degree is in. I have met quite a number of people with degrees who earn far less or are out there looking for work. I earn less, and btw, lord forbid you should lose your job when you're in your fifties - it's so difficult getting a job as the employers much prefer younger people. Not just my opinion, either - this has been reported in the St. Pete Times (Business section, I believe).

Also, the housing slump is having ripple effects in many other sectors, from retail to construction, and anything dependent on those. And I doubt we've seen the worst of it yet.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
How soon before we get back to reality?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,396 times
property tax bill - close to $4000
that's reality, unfortunately

Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 PM

17 posts, read 84,523 times
I was born and raised here in Massachusettes, I lived in Clearwater, Florida for four years and I just came back home a year ago. I would never recommend anyone to live there. First of all the traffic is insane I worked 3 1/2 miles away from my house and on a Very good day it would take me 35min to get there. Unless you own your own business do not expect to make any money. One of my first job interviews the lady was going to hire me then I asked what the pay was. I almost fell over, I told her I could not feed my kid with what she was offering me and she told me "Well I also pay you with sunshine" Last I knew she didn't control the sun and the sun did not keep a roof over our heads. The cost of living I found was more expensive, rent,elec,gas,etc. Clearwater Beach was by far one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen, very clean, white sands, and alot of mom and pop shops. Not anymore now everything has been torn down or in the process of being torn down for you guessed it Condo's. What a waste of a beautiful beach. I recommend you go and visit you'll love it. Do not live there, you will regret it and you'll leave broke.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:09 AM

Location: Gainesville, Florida/now in Qinhuangdao China/Beijing
31 posts, read 112,754 times
well Its me again!!! billymillennium!!! lol!!! okaY heres my new question...my new gainesville employer will pay me $17.00 dallars per hour(plusOverTime)...will survival be diffacult there??? seeing Im from Northern Indiana...Is &17.00 per hour dangerouse living there???
ThankYou!

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM

398 posts, read 1,409,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymillennium View Post
well Its me again!!! billymillennium!!! lol!!! okaY heres my new question...my new gainesville employer will pay me $17.00 dallars per hour(plusOverTime)...will survival be diffacult there??? seeing Im from Northern Indiana...Is &17.00 per hour dangerouse living there???
ThankYou!

For one person in Gainesville is perfectly fine. Just do not expect to rent a house and buy an SUV. Expect a nice apartment and a nice used American muscle car. Welcome to the South.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 AM

137 posts, read 550,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymillennium View Post
ThankYou!
That is a pretty good starting pay for this area but if you are not single and the bread winner then it could pose a problem. Try living in an out-lying area and rent will be cheaper and I think you'll like the rural areas better. Are you working for the state or a private employer? Have you looked into where you might want to live...apt or house? Also, how old are you? Age has a lot to do with where you might want to live in Gainesville. If you are young then you'll probably like the apartment living with college aged students. If you are older then look into some out-lying areas, I can give you some town/city names if you are interested. Good Luck! Also, are you opposed to driving 30-40 min commute time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida