Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 AM

145 posts, read 564,518 times

Advertisements

Hi

We live in Atlanta (North suburbs) and just paid our mortgage off. I have wanted to move to Florida for years, mostly for my love of tropical/sub tropical plants.
Home prices have considerably dropped in Florida since last I checked. But insurance and taxes still seem high.
We are looking in the wide central Florida area, away from the water, would have to be close to Orlando or Tampa or both (1 hour max commute to work OK).
Which counties shall I look into as far as lower taxes and HOI?
I looked quickly at Polk, Lake, Orange, Osceola and found lots of homes in our price range (120k-160K).
I have a related question. How come if HOI and taxes are so high in Florida, so many hispanics can afford to own here? Lots of Hispanic here in Atlanta and they don't have the high paying salaries but they can make it fine here as taxes and HOI are affordable. Just wondering!

Thanks a lot

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 AM

66 posts, read 143,690 times
i've noticed too that taxes and HOA fees are high. it's soured me on moving to the orlando area. looks like the tax and spend republicans are ruining florida too. LIBERTARIAN REVOLUTION NOW! KICK ALL THE TAX AND SPENDERS OUT OF OFFICE.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:31 AM

26 posts, read 82,389 times
HOAs are a joke. Avoid whenever possible.

HOI on the other hand is a necessity and probably fairly priced due to hurricanes. I too would be interested to know the area with the lowest taxes and HOI rates.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times
Insurance is lower in inland areas, but it also depends on other factors--what year the house was built, what type of roof it has and how recently the roof was updated.
Seminole county mill rates seem to be slightly lower than Orange. I don't know about the other counties, you can find all that on the appraiser's websites. I think Lake or Polk might end up being a bit cheaper for you overall than Orange or Seminole. Don't know about Osceola. Remember you get a homestead exemption on your taxes. If you want to be between Tampa and Orlando, Polk would work, although I can't guarantee that it will be exciting to live out there. It's better to just pick one city or the other based on a job than to try to live equidistant between them.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 AM

I don't know about taxes, but from what I know the lowest insurance is in north Florida (on the peninsula, not the panhandle).

And I think the highest is in Dade & Monroe counties.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:44 AM

I'll grudgingly admit that Jacksonville is attractive in this sense. The lower priced homes when compared to the rest of the state combined with the $50,000 SOH exemption probably make it the cheapest in taxes.
What area specifically has the lowest -- Orange Park?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 AM

I don't know that area. If you go to the Jacksonville appraiser site they'll provide that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoExpat View Post
I'll grudgingly admit that Jacksonville is attractive in this sense. The lower priced homes when compared to the rest of the state combined with the $50,000 SOH exemption probably make it the cheapest in taxes.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 AM

If your coming from Toronto, it might be easier to blend in as an outsider Central Florida than north FL It all depends on you and what you're looking for, but north FL is different than other parts of the state.

Quote:

Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 AM

It's a suburb in a different county, which is why I believe it might be less tax. I'm too lazy to goto Duval County and Clay County and do the comparisons... later today though unless someone beats me to it.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 AM

I saw on another thread that you have family in Jax so you probably know a lot more about it than I do.

Quote:
It's a suburb in a different county, which is why I believe it might be less tax. I'm too lazy to goto Duval County and Clay County and do the comparisons... later today though unless someone beats me to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida