Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM

216 posts, read 913,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeStager View Post
Not only mold but check for chinese drywall too. A lot of what many of you are describing can be symptoms of exposure to chinese drywall as well. Those of you with the ear infections, especilly inspect for chinese drywall, as it can cause upper respiratory infections including ears. Depending on the batch varying levels of arsenic gas is being released and that can lead to hearing loss. I'm already aware of two cases.

Same with those who have been experiencing extreme fatigue/lethargy with frequent headaches.

Was the home/condo built or remodeled after 2001? Did the symptoms start some time after moving in?

If you can say yes to both, there are ways to inspect the place yourself for the signs. Best to do it so you can rule it out or know to get out.
Thanks, but our home was built in 1999 and has not been remodeled, is it safe to say Chinese drywall is not the issue? We moved into the home last October. Our symptoms started this May. Four of us live here, only two of us are affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I wonder if its your seasonal allergies, that might be the issue? Its all connected. Maybe you need to the allergist and/or an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor too.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
My friend just got an ear infection..... was told that it was from swimming in the pool.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeStager View Post
Not only mold but check for chinese drywall too. A lot of what many of you are describing can be symptoms of exposure to chinese drywall as well. Those of you with the ear infections, especilly inspect for chinese drywall, as it can cause upper respiratory infections including ears. Depending on the batch varying levels of arsenic gas is being released and that can lead to hearing loss. I'm already aware of two cases.

Same with those who have been experiencing extreme fatigue/lethargy with frequent headaches.

Was the home/condo built or remodeled after 2001? Did the symptoms start some time after moving in?

If you can say yes to both, there are ways to inspect the place yourself for the signs. Best to do it so you can rule it out or know to get out.
good catch....(although she said they had the same allergies in NH but didnt mention ears).....

i heard on the radio yesterday there's no test to rule out/in chinese dry wall it's a visual exam which is pretty crappy,,,,

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Nah, I got the Lyme in Pennsylvania doing yardwork. They caught it before any stages though. I should say I caught it. I was at work and behind my knee was itchy and I found this big thing there. I had the bullseye and it looked like it was going to get infected so I ran to the Dr. office, my Dr was away....and the resident said that's not a tick bullseye and gave me a hard time about prescribing an A/B. So I said, ok good, let it rot then if it's a melanoma I have your name, have a nice short career. He wrote the script within 30 seconds. LOL

Thank GOD you noticed the bullseye and caught it quick!

My titer said I was exposed, later on.

STOP the Q tips ......it's not a coincidence that I guessed that even IF I have good ESP haha.

Ha ha ha......that is a pretty good catch! I've always used Q tips though so I didn't think that was an issue. No, she definitely isn't grabbing my Q tips, good idea though

Is there any chance your daughter is grabbing your used Q tips after you're through with them and imitating you? Just a wierd random idea...

Good luck at the ENT. BE DETERMINED. For us it's ok, but for a little kid it's too scary. Post back with the results so we can learn ok? There are four classes of antibiotics by mouth so if they can culture ears that would be best no doubt about it. I guess it depends how deep down everything is. I remember my veterinarian telling me an untreated ear issue can go inward to the brain. So if they can culture it then they'll do the sensitivity on it (C&S). It takes about 5 days to grow the bacteria and kill it off in the lab with the right AB.

I will absolutely post the results. I have heard about the infection going to the brain, so scary.

Your ENT may say wait until her previous A/Bs are out of her system. That's normal. Especially with a chronic condition. If it's an emergency they might do a C&S but they know that it'll be not 100% reliable since the prev a/b may have killed off some bacteria and masked the true combination of all that's in there. She might even need two like a combo. Then again maybe she'll only need topical and none by mouth like I took. (ditto for you, you both need to get it done, IMO)

I just remembered a coworker had the severe ear infection that she let go untreated trying to be all natural and stuff....and she DID end up with a very serious thing and needed some kind of scary surgery. I forget the details though, but it brought to mind the vet with the brain thing.....

YOURS isnt' like that I'm not trying to scare you...just sayin....
I completely understand what you are saying and I agree, I have given her the antibiotics each time, I just would really like to get to the root cause of the issue and address that, rather than all these antibiotics. I am hoping the ENT visit helps! Thanks again for all your info!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 PM

192 posts, read 722,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
good catch....(although she said they had the same allergies in NH but didnt mention ears).....

i heard on the radio yesterday there's no test to rule out/in chinese dry wall it's a visual exam which is pretty crappy,,,,

Exactly. Someone who already has allergies or asthma, would be considered a "sensitive" that would be most likely to experience reactions more quickly and more severely to the exposure. Because she said the problem with the ear infections increased, I thought "maybe."

Their's was more of a stretch. I think I decided to jump in with the possibility for those talking about noticing increased fatigue/lethargia and headaches.

It's worth it just to rule it out as a possible cause.

I am aware of one report on a home with it that is a 98 build. Their's being a '99 it is very unlikley.

Anyone can check for it.

Look for blackening on the copper evaporater coils of the AC/ fridge. Note any frequent AC coil failures "corrosion leaks". Note frequent appliance and electronic failures as well, including computers.

Cut power to the breakers and remove outlet plates around the house. Pull out the outlet and inspect copper wires for blackening. A black soot will come off on your fingers if you rub over it.

Check for blackening/pitting of metals in the bathrooms. Check for corrosion/fogging behind bathroom mirrors.

Do any lights flicker, bulbs blow out faster, not work, outlets stop working? Does smoke alarm randomly go off for no reason?

Have silver items such as jewelry, antiques, collectibles, picture frames, ect, been blackening and pitting at an unusual rate.

Anyone ever comment noticing, especially after being away for a while and then re-entering, a smell like burnt matches, fireworks, spoiled milk, sweet vinegar, or rotten eggs?

The above encompasses the aspects of the physical inspection. One thing all CDW homes definetely have in common is the blackening of the copper wires and AC evaporater coils. Start there as it is the easiet and most important catch that can not be missed.

I hope and pray it is not the case for any of you. Considering it has been a problem with newer construction in Florida, it's worth it for all of you with to check and rule it out for sure.

If your "within a decade" new home shows those signs, please do your best to avoid the understandable denial people go into upon the discovery, and take it very seriously.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
Hi,

We moved here to FLA last summer. Recently, about 3 months ago, my 5 year old daughter and I started getting ear infections. We both have seasonal allergies and take Claritin and Zyrtec. We never had ear infections in NH, we did have allergies with similar symptoms though. We have both had 3 ear infections each, in the past 3 months.

It is not swimmer's ear, the doctor has confirmed this several times. What could be causing these ear infections? My 2 year old daughter and my husband aren't getting ear infections. I'm at a loss, I don't like to take lots of antibiotics and I really don't like having my kids take antibiotics, but I am afraid that her hearing could be damaged if I don't! When she has an ear infection, the only way I know is because she can BARELY hear at all. She says it doesn't hurt, it just feels stuffy which is exactly how mine feels.

If anyone has any advice or ideas, I am all EARS
Hmm. Wouldn't be so quick to rule out the swimmer's ear. Do you have a pool or go swimming a lot?

I'm a native Floridian and have the same problem, including alergies. I used to play on the swim, water polo teams. Today I can get them from just taking a shower and still have to use drops afterwards as a prevention. I also have problems with wax buildup in my ears and have to have them cleaned each year as part of my checkup with my ENT. (Don't ask, but you'd be truly amazed about this if you have a similar problem).

Would suggest you get a second opinion from a well recommended ENT in your area. If you disagree, try an allergist to start running some test series.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM

831 posts, read 2,438,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
Hi,

We moved here to FLA last summer. Recently, about 3 months ago, my 5 year old daughter and I started getting ear infections. We both have seasonal allergies and take Claritin and Zyrtec. We never had ear infections in NH, we did have allergies with similar symptoms though. We have both had 3 ear infections each, in the past 3 months.

It is not swimmer's ear, the doctor has confirmed this several times. What could be causing these ear infections? My 2 year old daughter and my husband aren't getting ear infections. I'm at a loss, I don't like to take lots of antibiotics and I really don't like having my kids take antibiotics, but I am afraid that her hearing could be damaged if I don't! When she has an ear infection, the only way I know is because she can BARELY hear at all. She says it doesn't hurt, it just feels stuffy which is exactly how mine feels.

If anyone has any advice or ideas, I am all EARS

The same thing happened to me when I first moved here. My entire family suffers from the ear problem and sinuses as well but really only during the summer months. As far as being so tired I also suffered the same experience. I thought I was sick but didn't have any symptoms. I really couldn't move. After speaking to a couple of people they said it takes awhile for your body to acclimate to the summer humidity. It will totally wipe you out. Just be patient you will eventually get more energy.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Hmm. Wouldn't be so quick to rule out the swimmer's ear. Do you have a pool or go swimming a lot?

I'm a native Floridian and have the same problem, including alergies. I used to play on the swim, water polo teams. Today I can get them from just taking a shower and still have to use drops afterwards as a prevention. I also have problems with wax buildup in my ears and have to have them cleaned each year as part of my checkup with my ENT. (Don't ask, but you'd be truly amazed about this if you have a similar problem).

Would suggest you get a second opinion from a well recommended ENT in your area. If you disagree, try an allergist to start running some test series.
Hi,

Yes, we have a pool and we use it almost every day. I would have assumed it was from the pool, but the doctor said that there is a clear difference in how swimmers ear looks compared to a middle ear infection. I still find it hard to believe that the swimming is not the cause.

We are going to see an ENT soon, so I am interested to see what he says and I guess we will go from there. I am hoping he has some answers.

Thank you!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
The same thing happened to me when I first moved here. My entire family suffers from the ear problem and sinuses as well but really only during the summer months. As far as being so tired I also suffered the same experience. I thought I was sick but didn't have any symptoms. I really couldn't move. After speaking to a couple of people they said it takes awhile for your body to acclimate to the summer humidity. It will totally wipe you out. Just be patient you will eventually get more energy.
I am hoping it is just acclimating to the climate change, thanks for sharing your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: