Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you love Florida or hate Florida ?
I Love/Like Florida 57 77.03%
I Hate/Dislike Florida 17 22.97%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:36 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSpidersAntsDrinkers View Post
SW Florida (why I hate it): I 've only lived here for about 3 months, but I can't take another day of it.

1)-- I can't handle these 3 and 1/2 spiders and all the rest of the nasty spider types overtaking the inside of my house and the oustide of my house, Me and my pets feel like a prisoners from it. This also includes the huge Fire Ant hills that I can't get to slow down in my yard.

2)-- The most favorite and popular activity arouns here are bars, drinking every day and staying indoors bored to death.

3)-- The fact that I can not take care of or grow a veggie garden well because they will get destroyed by either super high winds (from almost every day, nasty storms), or super heavy downpours of rain, threats of hail, excessive nonstop population of plant eating bugs.
Gardening is a lot of fun and also an art. You have to learn a little about it to be really successful. I like square foot gardening and it is so easy to grow stuff here even for people who don't have a clue. How many gardens have you done is your three months being here?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 19,834 times
Default Hate Florida

SW Florida (why I hate it):
I 've only lived here for about 3 & 1/2 months, but I can't take another day of it.

1)-- I can't handle these 3 & 1/2 inch spiders and all the rest of the nasty spider types overtaking the inside of my house and the oustide of my house, Me and my pets feel like prisoners from it, literally. This also includes the huge 'Fire Ant' hills that I can't get to slow down in my yard.

2)-- The most favorite and popular activity around here: are bars, drinking every day, and staying indoors bored to death.

3)-- The fact that I can not take care of or grow a veggie garden well because they will get destroyed by either super high winds (from almost every day, nasty storms), or super heavy downpours of rain, threats of hail, excessive nonstop population of 'plant eating' bugs.

4)-- Excessive amount of black wasps, that continuously live near the underside of your roof.

5)-- Barely no forests or woods to walk through, and what trees there are around and near here is impossible to even walk through, (a horrible thing for a nature lover that tremendously loved trail walks).
Barely 'no' parks. And you can't take your dog anywhere (parks and other places do not allow dogs).
You have to cross a bridge, after a hurried and crazy drive to get to one, and have to pay $4.00 - $6.00 every time you cross over one, just so you can get to a beach.

6)-- No where outdoors to go to and hang out at in relaxation for the nature lover.

7)-- The fires that get created around here and surrounding areas due to lightening or irresponsible smokers or the dry weather is excessive, ... for a few days I could'nt even breath well and that fire was many many miles away.

8)-- People don't have any fun outdoors (every one is either in bars drinking, out sea fishing, or stuck in their houses). ... You can't do bonfires and you always have to watch your surroundings and where you are stepping or walking (because something might get ya on the ground. Example: variety of huge spiders, fire ants, snakes, excessive amount of mosquitos, etc).

9)-- No lakes to fish at, and if you find one, you cant keep the fish because they are polluted with lawn and insect chemicals.
And also you might get attacked by an alligator if your too close to a lake.

10)-- Your dog hates Florida as much as you do, he is afraid to walk on the grass outdoors (hmmm, could this be due to the excessive and beautiful biting insect problem?), and find he rarely takes the time to go to the bathroom often because of it.

11)-- Expect to be taking your dog or cat to the vets often to 'try' to keep the nasty and strong Flea problem half under control.

12)-- Expect to hire some one to head to your house to bring in your plants into your porch or house (ones that need at least 4 hours of sunlight) while you are at work during the hours that the nasty storms come through every day, otherwise your plants (that need to be outdoors and need sun) will get destroyed during those storms when you are at work.

13)-- Own a large Pick up truck with a nice cap on it? ...Alot of the houses have garages that aren't made high enough so that you can fit your truck with your nice cap into that garage.

14)-- Your neighbors don't come around and be neighborly, they are pretty much non existed except for when you hear fighting or yelling going on outside.

15)-- You will see vehicles breaking down and left on the side of the roads. You will see alot of wierd sports cars with loud, pounding, wall shaking music driving by. You will see lots of disrespect and rushiness
with the drivers.

16)-- The teenagers who have lived here for quite awhile, think they are the hottest sh*t around and would not hesitate to beat the living crap out of you.

17)-- High theft rate.

18)-- Moderately high rape rate.

19)-- Need to get something fixed, repaired, built? ... You'll need to have that same thing done 3 times by who ever you called, before it is repaired, fixed or built to correctly.

20)-- All stores or indoor places to go to (which aren't many), close by 9:00 pm!!

21)-- The person at the gas station will make fun of you if you screw up on pumping your own gas, and after you tell them you are from New Jersey and that you never have to pump your own sh*t there, they will argue with you and say "you should know how to pump your own gas, parts of New Jersey pump their own gas!"...
Wow the intelligence and respect here (In New Jersey you "DO NOT" pump your own gas).

22)-- It is ugly here, not just boring. ... Barely no trees, passible forests, or barely no parks.

23)-- Watch out when you go to one of the numerous bars or pubs, pray that the evening you are there that there wont be a gun shooting.

24)-- Find a park or dock by the ocean that you want to visit and hang at? ... You wont be able to remain there for more than 10 - 15 minutes from the high humidity mixed with the hot temperature.

25)-- Plan to get caught in downpour and lightening storms often. If you get caught in one when driving home from work or what ever, you "won't be able to see anything" while you are driving.

26)-- Oh if you find some where to hike and you don't run across a poisoness snake or huge nasty spider, be sure to not run into a large female 'wild boar' or large pig who has babies with her (you can imagine what you'd be in for). (Do you own a rifle?).

27)-- Your neighbor might just be one of those who's hobbies are drinking at the numerous bars, and stays home almost every day, and on occassion comes out to fight with his girlfriend/wife to tell her he's going to kick the living sh*t out of her, all the while she is being calm and talking nicely.

28)-- Coming to SW Florida?... Good luck, and hope you have 'better luck'.

Last edited by NoMoreSpidersAntsDrinkers; 06-26-2007 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 19,834 times
Gardening is a lot of fun and also an art. You have to learn a little about it to be really successful. I like square foot gardening and it is so easy to grow stuff here even for people who don't have a clue. How many gardens have you done is your three months being here?
I am growing Tomatoe plants, Peppers, Eggplant, and Bonsai trees. Not one of them can be left outdoors very often (where they need sun) because high wind storms with strong downpours destroy their branches and break them in many spots. So they are planted in large planter pots so they can be brought in. But one can not be home every day when those storms with high winds and downpours happen and to bring them in and back out all the time. The plants are very big, but have lost lots of fruits on them and have a few broken branches on them because they were left outdoors when storms came through.
I'm in SW Florida.
Oh the plus or positive side for here in SW Florida??? Gee, no snow or ice storms to bother with (big deal), thats it. Good luck, and Take care.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I am growing Tomatoe plants, Peppers, Eggplant, and Bonsai trees. Not one of them can be left outdoors very often (where they need sun) because high wind storms with strong downpours destroy their branches and break them in many spots. So they are planted in large planter pots so they can be brought in. But one can not be home every day when those storms with high winds and downpours happen and to bring them in and back out all the time. The plants are very big, but have lost lots of fruits on them and have a few broken branches on them because they were left outdoors when storms came through.
I'm in SW Florida.
Oh the plus or positive side for here in SW Florida??? Gee, no snow or ice storms to bother with (big deal), thats it. Good luck, and Take care.
Where are you living, except for about the last two weeks it hasen't rained in like 6 months.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
SW Florida (why I hate it):
I 've only lived here for about 3 & 1/2 months, but I can't take another day of it.

1)-- I can't handle these 3 & 1/2 inch spiders and all the rest of the nasty spider types overtaking the inside of my house and the oustide of my house, Me and my pets feel like prisoners from it, literally. This also includes the huge 'Fire Ant' hills that I can't get to slow down in my yard.

2)-- The most favorite and popular activity around here: are bars, drinking every day, and staying indoors bored to death.

3)-- The fact that I can not take care of or grow a veggie garden well because they will get destroyed by either super high winds (from almost every day, nasty storms), or super heavy downpours of rain, threats of hail, excessive nonstop population of 'plant eating' bugs.

4)-- Excessive amount of black wasps, that continuously live near the underside of your roof.

5)-- Barely no forests or woods to walk through, and what trees there are around and near here is impossible to even walk through, (a horrible thing for a nature lover that tremendously loved trail walks).
Barely 'no' parks. And you can't take your dog anywhere (parks and other places do not allow dogs).
You have to cross a bridge, after a hurried and crazy drive to get to one, and have to pay $4.00 - $6.00 every time you cross over one, just so you can get to a beach.

6)-- No where outdoors to go to and hang out at in relaxation for the nature lover.

7)-- The fires that get created around here and surrounding areas due to lightening or irresponsible smokers or the dry weather is excessive, ... for a few days I could'nt even breath well and that fire was many many miles away.

8)-- People don't have any fun outdoors (every one is either in bars drinking, out sea fishing, or stuck in their houses). ... You can't do bonfires and you always have to watch your surroundings and where you are stepping or walking (because something might get ya on the ground. Example: variety of huge spiders, fire ants, snakes, excessive amount of mosquitos, etc).

9)-- No lakes to fish at, and if you find one, you cant keep the fish because they are polluted with lawn and insect chemicals.
And also you might get attacked by an alligator if your too close to a lake.

10)-- Your dog hates Florida as much as you do, he is afraid to walk on the grass outdoors (hmmm, could this be due to the excessive and beautiful biting insect problem?), and find he rarely takes the time to go to the bathroom often because of it.

11)-- Expect to be taking your dog or cat to the vets often to 'try' to keep the nasty and strong Flea problem half under control.

12)-- Expect to hire some one to head to your house to bring in your plants into your porch or house (ones that need at least 4 hours of sunlight) while you are at work during the hours that the nasty storms come through every day, otherwise your plants (that need to be outdoors and need sun) will get destroyed during those storms when you are at work.

13)-- Own a large Pick up truck with a nice cap on it? ...Alot of the houses have garages that aren't made high enough so that you can fit your truck with your nice cap into that garage.

14)-- Your neighbors don't come around and be neighborly, they are pretty much non existed except for when you hear fighting or yelling going on outside.

15)-- You will see vehicles breaking down and left on the side of the roads. You will see alot of wierd sports cars with loud, pounding, wall shaking music driving by. You will see lots of disrespect and rushiness
with the drivers.

16)-- The teenagers who have lived here for quite awhile, think they are the hottest sh*t around and would not hesitate to beat the living crap out of you.

17)-- High theft rate.

18)-- Moderately high rape rate.

19)-- Need to get something fixed, repaired, built? ... You'll need to have that same thing done 3 times by who ever you called, before it is repaired, fixed or built to correctly.

20)-- All stores or indoor places to go to (which aren't many), close by 9:00 pm!!

21)-- The person at the gas station will make fun of you if you screw up on pumping your own gas, and after you tell them you are from New Jersey and that you never have to pump your own sh*t there, they will argue with you and say "you should know how to pump your own gas, parts of New Jersey pump their own gas!"...
Wow the intelligence and respect here (In New Jersey you "DO NOT" pump your own gas).

22)-- It is ugly here, not just boring. ... Barely no trees, passible forests, or barely no parks.

23)-- Watch out when you go to one of the numerous bars or pubs, pray that the evening you are there that there wont be a gun shooting.

24)-- Find a park or dock by the ocean that you want to visit and hang at? ... You wont be able to remain there for more than 10 - 15 minutes from the high humidity mixed with the hot temperature.

25)-- Plan to get caught in downpour and lightening storms often. If you get caught in one when driving home from work or what ever, you "won't be able to see anything" while you are driving.

26)-- Oh if you find some where to hike and you don't run across a poisoness snake or huge nasty spider, be sure to not run into a large female 'wild boar' or large pig who has babies with her (you can imagine what you'd be in for). (Do you own a rifle?).

27)-- Your neighbor might just be one of those who's hobbies are drinking at the numerous bars, and stays home almost every day, and on occassion comes out to fight with his girlfriend/wife to tell her he's going to kick the living sh*t out of her, all the while she is being calm and talking nicely.

28)-- Coming to SW Florida?... Good luck, and hope you have 'better luck'.
Why did you move here?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times
OMG Nomorespidersantsdrinkers, sounds like SW florida is terrible. I had no idea that people in NJ did not have to get out and pump thier own gas??? We have to pump our own here in Illinois, LOL> I have never heard of doing anything different.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM

131 posts, read 184,166 times
we are originally from Anchorage Alaska- thought we would love it here.....
absolutely not the case... after 10 years it's still to hot for us... to many bugs,snakes, you name it. you have to fight to even grow grass!!!! Schools suck along with insurance rates, taxes and hurricanes. Living on the Gulf is beautiful but it's to hot in the day to go outside. Humidity is oppressive. Slave wages. We are almost done remodeling our house. Anyone interested in a house on a lake 20 min from the beach???

Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,417 times
It's called a pest control service, get it done to your house! We hard EVER have bugs in our house.

By the way, FL living takes some getting used to. Don't know that I would like living in S. Florida either but sometimes you have to stay focused and try to stay positive or else you'll be miserable forever. Otherwise just move back to NJ where you'll be happy. Life is too short.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
I love Florida so much I carry around a baggie with sand it in for good luck !!!

As far as bugs, if you really have all those bugs, do something about it, my brother in law lives in Fla and cannot remember when he saw a bug in his home, he of course has his whole yeard and house sprayed 2 x per year.

Again as I always say, if you do not like it where you are MOVE.

Allot of people are right, you really need to do your homework before you move to this miserable place, because most people are not cut out to enjoy what is in front of them.

Sure, its not for everyone, but my goodness, instead of whining about the heat and bugs you should be selling and moving and making room for oceandreams who is moving to Florida from a far worse state to live in called the northern hell hole states. We hate the cold, the storms, the congestion, , smog, no jobs, high taxes ( we all pay state taxes up here ), that is why Frank, Nomoresnow, Oceandreams and us and so many more are moving out and heading to good ole FLA.

Oceandreams is so excited to be moving to Fla she left he family at the curb and left 2 days early.....................

Old 06-26-2007, 02:58 PM

142 posts, read 1,030,834 times
I LOVE Florida, but hate some of the things we humans have done to it...(i.e. South Miami style sprawl)

Sometimes I daydream of being back there on the beach....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida