Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:34 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Good Question, its like anywhere else that people flocked to..its not just florida that has Nasty Nykers trust me...However there are nasty people everywhere from our expereinces living elsewhere...if you were from certain parts of NY like we are from brooklyn, unfortunately it has changed since we grew up and lived there it was time to move on....Nyker's in general are a tough breed, but the same could be said about southerners and so on, we just choose not to assosicate with the Nasty people..lol..I will tell you that its a comfortable place to be, depending on where u are of course, u have people somewhat u can relate too..the Food is very good here, and dont forget about not wanting Winters and Cold although Weather shouldnt be the main factor for moving..although the Weather is awesome....the summer really hasnt been bad for us, as living in charlotte the temps got up to 96 degrees with high humidity so it isnt much different there or in NYC for that matter...this summer they are lucky as it has been unseasonably cool....

I think it comes down to a different quality of life than opposed to better because we all know all places have thier pro's and Cons and things dont stay the way they were when u moved there in the 1st place....People also look for a Change of life..florida is very attractive we think, there are things to do and I wish I could explain it but I cant....we have met some great new friends, very friendly people, the kids are at their happiest here so I cant speak for all NYker's but I know that not all places are for everyone but we have landed here and dont plan on leaving as we are very happy here so far and look at the positives than opposed to the negatives..I also have family here and friends and dh and I wanted to retire here anyway...LOL...
Life is staying ahead of the curve. Nothing is forever or will stay as you like it but there are always new horizons. It is what makes up human
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Life is staying ahead of the curve. Nothing is forever or will stay as you like it but there are always new horizons. It is what makes up human
exactly

Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 AM

976 posts, read 1,112,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Maybe they will have read all about Florida in the City-Data forum instead, and get the impression that North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas are better places to be.

LOL, and if they read the article about how FL treats the homeless and how we are ranked 49th out of 50 in volunteer work and helping the needy, I think the NYC homeless people relocating to FL would be a long shot. But, as most do, the dream of the beaches and no snow will draw them in, lol.

I bet Charlie Christ will have something to say about this.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Good Question, its like anywhere else that people flocked to..its not just florida that has Nasty Nykers trust me...However there are nasty people everywhere from our expereinces living elsewhere...if you were from certain parts of NY like we are from brooklyn, unfortunately it has changed since we grew up and lived there it was time to move on....Nyker's in general are a tough breed, but the same could be said about southerners and so on, we just choose not to assosicate with the Nasty people..lol..I will tell you that its a comfortable place to be, depending on where u are of course, u have people somewhat u can relate too..the Food is very good here, and dont forget about not wanting Winters and Cold although Weather shouldnt be the main factor for moving..although the Weather is awesome....the summer really hasnt been bad for us, as living in charlotte the temps got up to 96 degrees with high humidity so it isnt much different there or in NYC for that matter...this summer they are lucky as it has been unseasonably cool....

I think it comes down to a different quality of life than opposed to better because we all know all places have thier pro's and Cons and things dont stay the way they were when u moved there in the 1st place....People also look for a Change of life..florida is very attractive we think, there are things to do and I wish I could explain it but I cant....we have met some great new friends, very friendly people, the kids are at their happiest here so I cant speak for all NYker's but I know that not all places are for everyone but we have landed here and dont plan on leaving as we are very happy here so far and look at the positives than opposed to the negatives..I also have family here and friends and dh and I wanted to retire here anyway...LOL...
Good post, if you all are happy in S FL, that's what matters. You definitely sound like a nice family, and you are happy (not to say most arent, but they sometimes have a way of acting angry and impatient all the time, unfortunately). But you all sound much different - that's good!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:27 AM

362 posts, read 774,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
So they can be HOT and homeless? They will go wherever they have family, doesn't necessarily mean Florida. It is a difficult situation for all (the city, the families and the final destination).
well, they won't freeze and die, atleast FL might get them some food AKA fish at that Beach,

Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Both Good Morning America and CNN did a piece of this yesterday. It is not a new concept. Both California and Florida have done this is the past. The reports said that they contact the homeless family members to make sure they can take them in. One woman they interviewed (from LA) said she wanted to go home but didn't have the money to get there.

The other woman interviewed was from Florida. The family had lost their jobs and their home to foreclosure. They moved to NYC for a new start, but couldn't find a job. She said she really didn't want to go back because she was trying to escape the same thing there. I suppose they must have had family in Florida. I didn't see the end of the interview.

I suppose in these times today it is a problem all around the country.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Saw this today:

seems NYC had given one way tickets to 550 families so far since 2007 in their program. Of the 550 only 100 of them have been sent to Florida. The article also says Broward has been doing the same thing for sometime now as well.

link

Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
98% of these people will just end up homeless again wherever they go. If a bus ticket were all that was needed to solve their problems, their problems would have been solved long ago. Bloomberg is dumping these people in other states.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post

I bet Charlie Christ will have something to say about this.
Unless they're stealing his spot at the beach or tanning bed, he's not going to have anything to say about it

Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM

^^^lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida