Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:11 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,735 times

Advertisements

I was hoping some of you might help me out. My husband and I are 'dreaded retirees' who live in a lovely town in Oregon. The place has 'mild' winters but we still find ourselves house bound for months on end. Oh, we can get around because there isn't much snow and ice, and it does get sunny. But it's cold. I don't want to sit around the fireplace all winter because it's too cold to go outside.

SO.

I came up with the brilliant idea of moving to Florida. My family is in NY, although the kids will remain in Oregon and Arizona. I want to be near the beach (what a surprise). My DH and I have been to Florida on visits but really have no idea of where to settle. I have my heart set on the west coast but it's a pretty big coast.

Any suggestions as to where to look? What would the insurance rates be on a $250k house a few miles from the beach or on a canal? Any idea of property taxes?

Thanks to all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times
I know you said you want to be near the beach, but maybe Arizona would be a better choice if you want warm sunny weather, since one of your kids lives there? It sounds like your family is very spread out, and getting together could be a pain.

I met someone from Miami and they were paying $4000/year for insurance. Some people on here have mentioned paying around $7000 a year. But SW Florida may be a bit cheaper than Miami. It depends on the roof and age of house too. If your looking to save money, the area of northeast florida (roughly from daytona up to Jacksonville) or the big bend area on the gulf coast will probably have lower insurance, and maybe lower taxes too.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:53 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
To get a good idea about home owner insurance check on the states website where rates from various insurance companies are compared by area - Florida insurance Rates

I live less than 500 feet from the gulf and my insurance including flood is about $2500/year.

Property taxes are based on the value of the property and the millage rate of where you live.
I live in Venice Florida my property is valued at $257k and my projected 2009 tax bill is $3600

For a community that is low crime with plenty of things to do and is located on the gulf of Mexico then look at Venice Florida. If you want to boat and live on the water in your price range look at Punta Gorda and the Charlotte Harbor area.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:58 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
To get a good idea about home owner insurance check on the states website where rates from various insurance companies are compared by area - Florida insurance Rates

I live less than 500 feet from the gulf and my insurance including flood is about $2500/year.

Property taxes are based on the value of the property and the millage rate of where you live.
I live in Venice Florida my property is valued at $257k and my projected 2009 tax bill is $3600

For a community that is low crime with plenty of things to do and is located on the gulf of Mexico then look at Venice Florida. If you want to boat and live on the water in your price range look at Punta Gorda and the Charlotte Harbor area.
I agree with Bob, and if you get bored and want to go to a city for a day, it's not that bad of a drive from Venice to St. Pete.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,467 times
My husband refuses to leave Florida because of the beaches and weather. If we had the option to live anywhere in Florida and it HAD to be by a beach, I would choose the west coast (Naples area). It seemed that the pace of life was a little slower and things seemed a bit more spread out. I currently live near Fort Lauderdale.

Now if I was able to choose anywhere in Florida without the stipulation that a beach had to be nearby, then I would choose northern (central) Florida where there are more springs. I agree with PP that north east coast may be a bit affordable and I think a bit slower.

Here is an idea of what we pay in Tamarac which is supposed to be considered a retirement community:
Property Taxes: $2,300 for 1,400 sq. ft.
Home Insurance: $1,200 yearly and we live far from the beach and house is only 5 years old.

You may get better tax rates with the drop in property values. If you are considering Broward county, here is a website where you can check out purchase prices and property taxes. You need to have an owner name or property address.

Broward County Property Appraiser's Network

Good luck and BTW - I would LOVE to live in Oregon. I know, the grass is not always greener.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
But isn't property taxes going to be much higher for the newcomer?

Old 08-30-2009, 03:50 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
But isn't property taxes going to be much higher for the newcomer?
Because of Save Our Homes it is possible for a long time resident to have a lower taxable value than the accessed value on a home. Property values have adjusted sharply downward over the past 3 years, so even though I'm homesteaded my taxable value is the same as my assessed value. Most of the outlandish stories of unjust taxation between people with simalar properties in the same neighborhood stem from the insane run up in property values between 2004 -2006.

There is a lot of mis-information out there about Florida property taxes and insurance. Which I find interesting since Florida has sunshine laws and each county and the state post taxing, and legislative information on the web.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM

You guys are great. Thanks for sharing all this helpful information.
Punta Gorda, Venice and Port Charlotte will be the first three on my list.
Crisanmos, we do like living in Oregon for most of the year but winter is just a tad cold for us. We'd probably return to spend part of the summer on the Oregon coast.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I know you said you want to be near the beach, but maybe Arizona would be a better choice if you want warm sunny weather, since one of your kids lives there? It sounds like your family is very spread out, and getting together could be a pain.
We had been considering AZ and haven't totally written it off, but there is no beach there. I miss being near water. Here in OR we are about a two-hour drive to the beach. Our beaches are lovely and cool, dramatic, foggy and misty all year round. Even when the sun comes out, however, it's too, too, too cold for swimming. I miss swimming in the ocean. Even California's oceans are too cold, actually.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
We had been considering AZ and haven't totally written it off, but there is no beach there. I miss being near water. Here in OR we are about a two-hour drive to the beach. Our beaches are lovely and cool, dramatic, foggy and misty all year round. Even when the sun comes out, however, it's too, too, too cold for swimming. I miss swimming in the ocean. Even California's oceans are too cold, actually.
If you you want beautiful calm, warm turquoise waters for swimming, accompanied by powder soft white beaches, look no further than the Gulf Coast! I think you will really especially like Venice out of your choices, it is right on the beach, not too crowded and has a charming and walkable little downtown.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida