Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 AM

130 posts, read 155,637 times

Advertisements

I moved from Weston/Sunrise, Florida (i lived in Westerm Broward nearly all my life) to Northeast Mississippi.I first visited after my Father retired here from Sunrise, Fl.I left a good job and all the negatives behind and have not thought about South Florida since (or anywhere in Florida for that matter)I do miss my friends but, heck there all moving to this region anyway

My average monthly bills are as follows:

Water: $10 a month (sometimes $20in the Summer) and it is the best tasting water ever!

Electric: Summer $98 Winter $76

LP gas: Winter I pre buy $400 and still have 200 gallons available.

Home: i have a beautiful 3/2 approx. 2,000 sq.ft. home, detached 3 car garage approx. 1,000 sq ft., fireplace, 8 acres and four stall barn. All for $83,000!!!!!

Taxes and insurance on home: is approx. $1,600 a year and it would be $200 cheaper but, i elected to have a few extras on my insurance policy.

Garbage pick up: $10

Motor vehicle gas: at this time is $2.65 a gallon

Phone: basic service is exactly $20 a month

High speed intermet: i feel is a little expensive but $50 a month.

At first i had a bit of a hard time with the move and being away from friends and family.But, i have friends here now and some of them are from major metropolitian areas of the country.I earn almost $80,000 a year and my Wife earns $30,000.Talk about actually having money to spend on your kids and having a FAT savings!I could not do that in South Florida.We have privacy and alot of fun with the kids around the house on the land.When we want to go out and eat we are only 30 minutes away from Tupelo, Ms and it has everything you will ever need there.Soon, the Toyota plant will be built West of Tupelo and that will be a big boost to the area economy.
I actually leave my keys in my car at night and some nights have left the front door opened or unlocked.No traffic while commuting to work is the BIGGEST benefit that i never realized while living in South Florida! (need i say 595 West/East at rush hour)
People are very friendly with your occasional annoying Redneck/nosy neighbor.But, i have learned to deal with it and really is not a problem.My Daughter is in the local High School and after football games they attend "the fifth quarter" at a local church.The only problem that i see with the youth in this area is there are about 2 pregnant teens in her School.My wife is from Colombia and has been recieved very well with no problems at all.She is actually friends with a local Attorney and she is Colombian as well.

Well the town i live in is called Tremont (Indian for three mountains) located in Itawamba County on the Alabama Mississippi State border and just South of Tennessee approx.40 miles.Nearby towns (9 miles) Fulton is also an excellent area and just West of there is Tupelo.

I know some of the local major metro transplants would shoot me if they knew i went around telling people how good we have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
sounds great but how do u make money there? is there a job market? it seems like it is located between memphis,tn and birmingham,al. do people commute to these areas?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
sounds great but how do u make money there? is there a job market? it seems like it is located between memphis,tn and birmingham,al. do people commute to these areas?
No, generally you would not commute to Birmingham, AL. or Memphis, Tn.Tupelo is large enough to sustain a sizeable workforce.For just about any job.
If you earned $30,000 to $40,000 here you would be able to live a lifestyle you only dreamed about in Florida.Cost of living is very low but, still has great civil services.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
How far do you live from the nearest beach?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:33 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud to be American View Post
No, generally you would not commute to Birmingham, AL. or Memphis, Tn.Tupelo is large enough to sustain a sizeable workforce.For just about any job.
If you earned $30,000 to $40,000 here you would be able to live a lifestyle you only dreamed about in Florida.Cost of living is very low but, still has great civil services.
what type of jobs pay 30K-40K?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
How far do you live from the nearest beach?
About 6 hours north.I know alot of people that go on weekends but, i got that out of my system while in Florida.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
what type of jobs pay 30K-40K?
Teachers earn about $35,000-$40,000 a year then a host of blue collar jobs.
Teachers can actually earn more when they have certain extra certificates.
Nurses are in great need and pay something like $21 or more an hour to start out of nursing school so experienced Nurses will earn more.North Mississippi Medical is the largest rural Hospital in the country and covers Tn, Ms, and Al.
It was also rated as one of the best in technology for any hospital.It really is a beautiful Hospital.The head chairman is from California and i think he brought alot of his connections with technology with him.I do not work in the Medical field so these figures could be higher.I do know that ICC the local community college recieved an award according to the late local news with the best nursing program in the entire Southeast.Graduating rate and job placement and low tution were some of the factors.We have alot of people go to the nursing program from out of state because it is cheaper. Then when they graduate they go back home.Therefore, this leaves a void in this feild locally.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
if u dont mind, how do u make 80k there?

Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Do you have any pics of the area that you could post for us?

Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
if u dont mind, how do u make 80k there?
I sent you a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida