Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy for $100,000 give or take a little. Condo, townhouse, single family are all ok. Want to have a good night life as well.

Want to be within 1.5 miles of a beach that you can go swimming in.

And some level of people under 30 would be a requirement as well.

Any thoughts or am I asking for too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I flipped through listings on our local site, and there are actually a couple of condos on the barrier island in that price range. Current listings that are at least second floor (first floor condos there tend to get a couple feet of water during bad hurricanes) within a block of a public beach access and within walking distance of a couple nightlife options:

EmeraldCoastHomesOnline.com

EmeraldCoastHomesOnline.com

Ft. Walton Beach is mostly a military town, so lots of under 30s around. We actually rented in the above area for a couple years when we moved down here and while it's rather scruffy, violent crime isn't an issue and the only property crime issue we had was when some idiot teenagers decided it would be fun to go through the neighborhood and break car windows. (Oddly, they didn't steal anything out of the cars even though they had ample chance)

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Looking to buy for $100,000 give or take a little. Condo, townhouse, single family are all ok. Want to have a good night life as well.

Check around Mexico beach area.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 PM

141 posts, read 752,540 times
You're asking way too much for South or Central Fla. If you don't mind the panhandle, you might be able to make it happen there. Personally, I much prefer the panhandle culturally, but I really appreciate being a little further South come Febuary. I once spent Christmas on the beach in Pensacola and temperatures were in the 40s - too cold for me.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
When we left Port St Joe a couple years ago, there were unsold condos in Bay County, but I'm not seeing tons in the listings now. (There might be some sweet deals in Gulf County, and Franklin too.) I'm not sure how much (you'll find in the $100K range. A caveat: on the beach in Mexico Beach pretty much means on Highway 98. There might be some places inland that are not far from the beach, which is beautiful. Listings
Panama City is not my cup of tea. That's just my opinion. You might like it.

There is some very fun nightlife on the Forgotten coast. But it's not exactly Miami. It is fairly marginal, spread-out, small-town stuff,and usually involves driving, which is not a good thing after a few drinks on an unlit highway. Younger people may cluster more toward the more affordable Wewahitchka, but it is inland. Apalachicola has fun nightlife but you have to drive to St George Island. Having both, and having them be convenient, is a bit of a problem.
The beaches east of Panama City all the way to St George Island are dropdead gorgeous, but if you want real nightlife, I'd follow Beachmouse's advice and stick closer to the Emerald coast, which is even prettier (it's more developed, but tastefully done). You're still going probably going to deal with driving, but things might be less spread out.

Here in Fernandina Beach on the east/Atlantic side, the water is fairly cold (IMHO) until late May, but stays warm well into fall. The beaches are not quite as pretty as northwest Florida, but very fine indeed, and we also have the quiet beauty of the marshes as well as spanish-moss draped oaks; Nassau County's state parks are wonderful.
Nassau County CD Page
Fernandina Beach CD Page (with some of my pix )
If you could find a place you liked close to downtown, you could manage to be both near the beach as well as downtown. Fernandina definitely has nightlife, including live music-- it's fairly small town stuff, as well, but more to choose from. Another caveat: I think the median age here is 40-something, though nearby Yulee has younger folks.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:42 AM

98 posts, read 478,663 times
Lake Worth (southeast coast, near West Palm Beach) has the beach, young people and nightlife, and you could probably get a condo, or a small cottage, for not too much over $100K (and, as a homeowner in the area, it hurts to write that.)

Old 09-05-2009, 12:01 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Thanks for the help everyone. it is appreciated

Someone recommended Deerfield Beach to me. Is this a good town?

(http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/145-Westbury-I-Unit-145_Deerfield-Beach_FL_33442_1110249938 - broken link)

Old 09-05-2009, 01:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
You're asking way too much for South or Central Fla. If you don't mind the panhandle, you might be able to make it happen there. Personally, I much prefer the panhandle culturally, but I really appreciate being a little further South come Febuary. I once spent Christmas on the beach in Pensacola and temperatures were in the 40s - too cold for me.
You should have been up here last Christmas ; it was sunny and 70 f. Absolutely nice.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:33 AM

98 posts, read 478,663 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone. it is appreciated

Someone recommended Deerfield Beach to me. Is this a good town?

(http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/145-Westbury-I-Unit-145_Deerfield-Beach_FL_33442_1110249938 - broken link)
Deerfield Beach is OK. Just south of Boca Raton, and about 10-15 minutes north of Ft Lauderdale. They've done a lot of development near the beach, with a couple of new luxury condos and a bunch of restaurants and other businesses.

Personally, I've never been a big fan. I lived in the next town south, Pompano Beach, for nearly 10 years, and just never saw much "character" in Deerfield, although I did look there before moving to my current location. They do have a nice fishing pier, and a couple popular restaurants on the beach. Nothing wrong with the town at all, but, at least for me, there were better choices. It's definitely worth checking out, though.

Paul

Old 09-13-2009, 08:58 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Quote:

Your challenge will be your price range and wanting under 30's nightlife (near the beach). Deerfield or Hollywood in Broward would be the more affordable beachfront areas, but really think $100K would be some very hard work (and the other issue of finding a "willing" agent there for the work needed on that commission).

The other areas mentioned in the Panhandle aren't really known for under 30's or nightlife (other than annual Spring Broke).

Also, if you're going to be seeking employment, you should look at other CD postings on this topic as Florida jobs are very difficult right now to find (in general). The economy is really affecting nightlife in general, as many people are not going out as much and this in turn creates more closings and job losses. Or just a "dead" scene.

I would definitely recommend you try Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater. Am not certain you'll find something on the beachside, but you'll surely find something in the Metro area in your price range, there is substantial nightlife, great beaches and a significant under 30 crowd concentrated around the USF campus. There would also be more chances for job opportunities.

You'd also be able to find a place in Daytona Beach, but have a very difficult time right now finding employment, even at Burger King.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida