Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ENJOY the FL 9-month summer?
Yes, I love the massive heat! 129 56.09%
No, I hate the massive heat! 101 43.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:03 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
These are the comments that make me wonder.... Especially when we talk about perspective (and believe me Lisa, this isn't meant as any sort of attack on you personally...), but do any of you that talk about sitting out in the hot weather by the pool every day sipping Mai Tais have a job you have to go to???

I'm not asking to be a jerk. It's a legitimate question because my job didn't allow me to wear shorts and a t-shirt as most don't. Throwing on a starched shirt and tie with slacks is brutal when it's that hot. I often would be sweating between my door and the car (and then a bit worse waiting for the car to cool off after burning my hands trying to get that metal seatbelt on..... Okay, I'm getting a little melodramatic here, but.....).

I'm just wondering sometimes that one's opinion on the weather really must depend a LOT on

A) Whether you are working or retired.

and

B) What your job is if you have one..

Also (I don't wanna open up a can of worms here, but.... what the heck... ), I've always felt working women can escape heat a little better anyway because, let's face it, a dress breathes a bit better than a business suit....

I remember when I first moved to Orlando I hooked up with a temp agency that promised office training after I worked with them for a month..... So they hook me up with this job at Sea World in a smoke house smoking pork, chicken, ribs, etc... all day (Ever wonder where that fabulous luau feast comes from ??? ). Anyway, the assinine thing of it was the required uniform was navy blue polyester pants and a navy blue polo shirt with a navy blue hat...... Needless to say it was HOT HOT HOT HOT!!!! The only reprieve was doing prep work in a walk-in refrigerator. It's AWESOME to be drenched in your own sweat and then walking into a 40 degree refrigerator to prepare chicken legs...... Needless to say I quit after two days.

That story isn't meant to be relevant to the discussion, but just a memory I wanted to share...... THAT stunk...
How it effects you and what you do is always going to be a factor. I know cops for example who with all the stuff they carry and the uniforms actually suffer in the height of the summer. I have never worn a suit in my life but I could not imagine being in and out of a car and in and out of an office all day with the heat.

Looking sweaty and half dirty can't be the best way to do business. Common business dress is not practical in Florida some months of the year. If I had employees, I would never demand they dressed in the uncomfortable manner I see people dressed every day. Take a look at Australia and some of the Latin countries, they don't ware hot suits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:19 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
but do any of you that talk about sitting out in the hot weather by the pool every day sipping Mai Tais have a job you have to go to???
I think most people are stating an overall general perspective & not an actual everyday thing.

Haven't seen anyone post that they are sitting by a pool 24/7 drinking mai-tais but that it is just nice to be able to wear shorts & flipflops on a regular basis. Lots of people live in warmer states b/c they like warmer weather. Lots of people live in northern states b/c they like seasons or can't take extreme heat. I lived in TX for 5 yrs & talking about 100 degree temps from June-Oct was not a topic. It was just accepted b/c it is Texas afterall, kinda like FL. Lots of people like TX b/c they are in warm weather & can wear shorts & flipflops on Christmas morning. But I think they have jobs, also.

Think you may be reading into it too much

Old 05-08-2007, 07:23 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I think most people are stating an overall general perspective & not an actual everyday thing.

Haven't seen anyone post that they are sitting by a pool 24/7 drinking mai-tais but that it is just nice to be able to wear shorts & flipflops on a regular basis. Lots of people live in warmer states b/c they like warmer weather. Lots of people live in northern states b/c they like seasons or can't take extreme heat. I lived in TX for 5 yrs & talking about 100 degree temps from June-Oct was not a topic. It was just accepted b/c it is Texas afterall, kinda like FL. Lots of people like TX b/c they are in warm weather & can wear shorts & flipflops on Christmas morning. But I think they have jobs, also.

Think you may be reading into it too much
Certainly wouldn't be the first time....

It does, however, seem like there are a large amount of people either retiring or very close to it that post here...... (Gee, the Florida board go figure.. )

Old 05-08-2007, 07:57 AM

672 posts, read 906,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
How it effects you and what you do is always going to be a factor. I know cops for example who with all the stuff they carry and the uniforms actually suffer in the height of the summer. I have never worn a suit in my life but I could not imagine being in and out of a car and in and out of an office all day with the heat.

Looking sweaty and half dirty can't be the best way to do business. Common business dress is not practical in Florida some months of the year. If I had employees, I would never demand they dressed in the uncomfortable manner I see people dressed every day. Take a look at Australia and some of the Latin countries, they don't ware hot suits.
My husband works in a Naples IT office. From Memorial Day until Labor Day the men can wear dress shorts (like Dockers) and a golf type shirt to work. The women can wear capris or bermuda shorts and a tshirt (no tank tops). Even when they have to meet with a client, they still don't wear a suit (or for women a dress/heels); then it is typical business casual attire.

It is about the same where I work up North for summer attire. About the only thing we cannot wear to work are tank tops, cut offs, flip flops, or anything very revealing.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:00 AM

60 posts, read 107,492 times
Yes, flip flops and tees every day for us. No mai-tais though.

But weather aside, do people really move somewhere primarily for the temps? I wouldn't even use cost of living as a reason to relocate. For example, when we lived in Illinois for a short while, our electric bill was so low it was a joke. We often joke about moving back there because the utilities are so affordable. Today I read that they just came off a 10-year freeze and their electric bills have gone up as much as by 300 percent. Things change. Weather happens. Live where you're happy.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcurious View Post
Yes, flip flops and tees every day for us. No mai-tais though.

But weather aside, do people really move somewhere primarily for the temps? I wouldn't even use cost of living as a reason to relocate. For example, when we lived in Illinois for a short while, our electric bill was so low it was a joke. We often joke about moving back there because the utilities are so affordable. Today I read that they just came off a 10-year freeze and their electric bills have gone up as much as by 300 percent. Things change. Weather happens. Live where you're happy.
Because of all the "fuel surcharges", what they now politically correct call "Increased Costs of Providing Services" (ROFL) added to my utilitiy bills (New York), the electric in the summer with A/C and my natural gas heat bills are about the same; around $400 a month for a 3 bedroom house. We are fortunate in that we have a total of about 6 month period where we don't need either A/C or heat. I have a payment plan with the utility where I can spread the payments over the low usage months.

The fuel surchages are now almost equal to my actual usage. If they were removed, my bills would be about cut in half.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 12,615 times
Default enjoy summer

Actually , I enjoy Florida summer (Cape Coral) reasons

cheap golf, empty beaches, rain so things green up, not so busy restaurants , warm water in the ocean, pool is so refreshing with warm air.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
Im not a fan of big heat, but after suffering 9 month winters
and the cost of them financially and mentally Im ready to trade !

Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Im not a fan of big heat, but after suffering 9 month winters
and the cost of them financially and mentally Im ready to trade !
What do you consider winter? Honestly. Anything under 80 degrees? It is now 65 degrees out. I don't need the HEAT on. I also don't need A/C on. My utility bills will now go WAY DOWN. I have all my windows open and a nice breeze coming in. It is called SPRING outside now. All the trees and flowers are now blooming.

You people are crazy. NINE MONTHS OF WINTER. lol

Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,765 times
I really don't mind the hot summer days because it can easily get just as hot in most other areas of the country (temperatures topped 100 on our last visit to Chicago, for example). The only things that bother me about the summers are (a) the hurricane threat, (b) the fact that temperatures at night usually don't all much below 80, and (c) it's still hot and humid here in October when the rest of the country is getting beautiful fall weather. But as I like to say, at least you don't have to shovel the heat and the rain.

As for the issue in previous posts about how people dress in Florida, I have to laugh. The A/C is kept so cold in our building that it's actually advantageous for people to dress in heavier clothing, even when it's 90 outside. We have people wearing jackets and sweatshirts at their desks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida