Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 07:43 AM

168 posts, read 424,899 times

Advertisements

what metro area of these three would be the best? Tampa Bay, Broward County, Palm Beach County, Dade County, or Orlando? It's either this or sales right now as about my only options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
what metro area of these three would be the best? Tampa Bay, Broward County, Palm Beach County, Dade County, or Orlando? It's either this or sales right now as about my only options.
Of those four, I believe that Tampa Bay offers a slightly lower cost of living.

Those with the gift can make good money at sales.

Good Luck!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 AM

168 posts, read 424,899 times
out of those, what would be the best fit for a male in his 20's and would also have the best outlook as getting a job in a bar (i have bar backed, bar tended, and worked security)? I am considering the sales work though because I think it might look better on a resume when applying for jobs in my field (education) whenever they finally start hiring again in Florida.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:21 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
out of those, what would be the best fit for a male in his 20's and would also have the best outlook as getting a job in a bar (i have bar backed, bar tended, and worked security)?
I would say Tampa or Broward in Fort Lauderdale, possibly Miami Beach if you blend in with Spanish-speaking culture.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM

217 posts, read 640,441 times
i worked in orlando for a year - DON'T GO THERE!!! well, let me rephrase, don't go there to work in the service industry to make tips. i worked at a bennigans in 2002 / 2003 and it was very difficult to make money because there were so many tourists from other countries that just don't pay their service personnel the way we do in the states (i'm trying to say this as nicely as possible!) one of my co-workers was a native floridian, and she left to go down to miami because she said the money was a lot better for a bartender down there.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Actually you CAN do OK in the Orlando area, IF you work someplace that doesn't cater to tourists. There are a lot of parts of the greater Orlando area that aren't touristy places, most of us locals tend to stay far, far, far away from the tourist areas.

Most of my regular haunts "where everybody knows your name" type places where I can walk in on any night, knowing that I'll run into some of my friends, not a bunch of faceless tourists. That goes for both bars and restuarants.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
My friend moved from out of state to West Palm area and works in a bar restaurant. He does have a roomate but lives pretty well there and with other expenses. I don't know how much he makes or if he had savings. I had though Broward county is more affordable then Palm Beach. Back in my 20's I worked in a restaurant though I did not live in Fl but I did pretty well income wise. What kind of sales? That to me in this economy could be a hard way to make a living depending on what type of sales it is. I am sorry I don't have more to offer. Good luck in your choice

Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
If you want to feel like your being pimped, than go for a sales position. Companies in Orlando could care less if your making a ton of money for them, they don't value their good salespeople. Also, companies WILL change their commission structure at any given time, so you might be making $ selling one item and than they turn around and they won't pay you for what you just sold, or in many instances they won't even tell you they changed the commission structure, welcome to Floriduhh. This place is filled with shady companies, with poor IT and poor human resources and communication. I actually think employers here look forward to firing people and/or getting rid of people, even the good ones.

Tipped positions can be good sometimes, but bad other times. And I agree with the foreigners being cheap, you literally have to tell them you work for tips or they will give you the shaft, even after lifting 100 lb. suitcases like you're a slave. I know some bartenders in Universal that can pull in a grand a week sometimes, bartenders at Disney make good money too.

Last edited by **NoodLes**; 09-11-2009 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 05:22 PM

10 posts, read 26,179 times
Default Tips

I hate to post to an older thread but I think I need to point out that 'foreigners are cheap' is a narrow view of the facts. You have to keep in mind that most other countries pay their wait staff etc. just as any other job and it is not automatic for them to tip. In most European countries a 10% tip is considered pretty generous but it also is not considered to be a part of that persons wages like it is in the US. On the same point, when traveling abroad, wait staffers believe Americans tip big and throw money around when we tip 15-20% as is considered customary here.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj6879 View Post
I hate to post to an older thread but I think I need to point out that 'foreigners are cheap' is a narrow view of the facts. You have to keep in mind that most other countries pay their wait staff etc. just as any other job and it is not automatic for them to tip. In most European countries a 10% tip is considered pretty generous but it also is not considered to be a part of that persons wages like it is in the US. On the same point, when traveling abroad, wait staffers believe Americans tip big and throw money around when we tip 15-20% as is considered customary here.
When in Rome...

I look at it this way--if I visit a country where it would be customary to cover my head (as I am female) I would do so. I expect that when people from other countries visit the US that they spend a few minutes researching our customs and be prepared to follow them--regardless of what their customs are "back home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida