Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM

74 posts, read 176,108 times

Advertisements

I cant believe there's not a thread for the panhandle .
I've lived in Okaloosa County since 1980, anyone want to contribute?
Questions, statements, likes, dislikes??
Remember when US 98 was right on the shoreline between Destin and Sandestin, that was a beautiful drive
Remember when it didnt take 90 mins to drive between Ft Walton and Pensacola on US98?
How about stories about riding out some of our more ferious hurricanes, Opal, Ivan, Fredeiric, others?
Cmon, lets hear from you....neighbors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allniter89 View Post
I cant believe there's not a thread for the panhandle .
I've lived in Okaloosa County since 1980, anyone want to contribute?
Questions, statements, likes, dislikes??
Remember when US 98 was right on the shoreline between Destin and Sandestin, that was a beautiful drive
Remember when it didnt take 90 mins to drive between Ft Walton and Pensacola on US98?
How about stories about riding out some of our more ferious hurricanes, Opal, Ivan, Fredeiric, others?
Cmon, lets hear from you....neighbors
You first. No kidding though I want to move to the panhandle in the worst way. I was to take a trip up there this weekend but have to put it off till next weekend because of business. I want to buy something and move up there so bad I can taste it. I am looking around Liberty county. Have any thoughts about the Bristol area? Anyone?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 PM

18,124 posts, read 11,758,079 times
I love the Panama City Beach water. The last time I played, tiny white fishes were swimming around my legs nibbling on me, not hurting, just letting me know they were there. The water was so clear and see-through that I could watch the white fishes swimming around my legs.

Also, the Dolphins are super friendly. It's not advisable to feed the dolphins dead fish bait whereas they lose their Independence.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
I've been trying to convince DH that we need to visit the panhandle, but he's not buying what I'm selling. He visited once when he was a kid and was bitten by a jellyfish. I told him jellyfish don't live 40 years, but he's not hearing me. The closest I've gotten was in Chipley for a night in the motorhome. Maybe you can tell us the finer points and I'll let him read it.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I just moved down here for good this time. I spent a few years down here back in the 90's, when I was younger and a whole lot dumber.

It amazes me how many things have changed here in the last 10 years.

This is the most beautiful water in the world, in my opinion. The beaches here are awesome, but I wish they'd push development away from the water, but what can you do.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
You first. No kidding though I want to move to the panhandle in the worst way. I was to take a trip up there this weekend but have to put it off till next weekend because of business. I want to buy something and move up there so bad I can taste it. I am looking around Liberty county. Have any thoughts about the Bristol area? Anyone?
Thanks for checking in!
Why Bristol/Liberty Co? It is a nice very rural area and probably doesnt have many job oportunities. Since it's rural you should be able to get a good price for land and/or a house.I live in a very rural part of Okaloosa Co, Crestview (pop 15000) is 14 mi. away and Ft Walton Beach (pop 34000) is 49 mi away. It's sometimes a pain to have to drive that distance for a Dr. or to shop but then you spend a nice quiet evening out on the deck watching the stars and listening to natures sounds and its worth it!
Maybe you're retireed and just want a quiet place to live, I can certainly understand about leaving the TB area, I dont care of big cities at all.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Default 2goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I love the Panama City Beach water. The last time I played, tiny white fishes were swimming around my legs nibbling on me, not hurting, just letting me know they were there. The water was so clear and see-through that I could watch the white fishes swimming around my legs.

Also, the Dolphins are super friendly. It's not advisable to feed the dolphins dead fish bait whereas they lose their Independence.
Oh yeah, the water is spectacular!! Either upclose, standing in it or from afar where you can see the different shades of blue/green/aqua/turqoise WOW, it still blows me away after 29yrs here.
Here in Ft Walton Beach, we have a high rise bridge that connects the mainland to a barrier island, and when you crest the bridge you have a spectacular view of the Gulf of Mexico and the variiuous colors of the water WOW again!!!. The panhandle is just a great place to live, unfortunatly more people have found our little secret and its alot more crowded around here.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Default TampaKAren

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I've been trying to convince DH that we need to visit the panhandle, but he's not buying what I'm selling. He visited once when he was a kid and was bitten by a jellyfish. I told him jellyfish don't live 40 years, but he's not hearing me. The closest I've gotten was in Chipley for a night in the motorhome. Maybe you can tell us the finer points and I'll let him read it.
Jelly fish are really not a major problem here, I'd guess maybe there is a jelly fish invasion only a few days each year. But you should come up and see our beaches with the sugar white sand and very few sea-shells or debri to step on.
And the gulf waters up here are spectacular, many many shades of blue/green/turquoise depending on the depth of the water. The water is so clear you can see the bottom from 100ft depth I bet!
If you come in snowbird season, Oct-Feb? you will miss all the beach crowds, probably enjoy lower prices and enjoy air temps in the 60-70's and water temps in the same with lower humidity!
As a special one time offer, I will be your husbands jellyfish bodyguard for a low fee of just 3 easy payments of $9.99!
Seriously tho, cmon up and see us I guarantee you'll be back!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Default Hi Memphis 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I just moved down here for good this time. I spent a few years down here back in the 90's, when I was younger and a whole lot dumber.

It amazes me how many things have changed here in the last 10 years.

This is the most beautiful water in the world, in my opinion. The beaches here are awesome, but I wish they'd push development away from the water, but what can you do.
Welcome back to Okaloosa County!! Yeah, the growth here has really gotten out of control but it appears to have peaked, I hope. I drove a 18 wheeler for the past 20 years (retired now) and pretty much lived on the road, and when I came home it was via I-10/FL 85. Earlier this year we went to Pensacola on 98, holy cow, I couldnot beleive how it was built up almost nonstop from FWB to Pcola and same thing east of Destin, it used to be country east of Sandestin but now it all commercialized And even Niceville is all built up waaay east of HWy 20. Oh well, we found Paradise first and natrually the word spred, I told everyone shhhh, keep it to yourself but nooooo

Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Allniter, there are plenty of Panhandle threads, just no Panhandle forum.
Threads like these probably don't help keep the secret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This is the most beautiful water in the world, in my opinion.
I agree.
The only water that comes close is the Adriatic, but it lacks the sugar white sand.
Development in the NW has peaked *for now* but no doubt there will be a later resurgence.
Employment is a whole other topic; finding a good job is not easily done these days.

We arrived in Port St Joe a couple months after Rita, during Wilma which stayed south.
Our neighbor showed us the storm surge waterline on his shed from Rita (his house was on stilts and didn't get flooded.)
Gotta watch out for those storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida