Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:56 AM

207 posts, read 614,901 times

Advertisements

Is there good camping in Florida? We are coming from Michigan and enjoy camping. We would like to continue to do so, but we aren't sure about being outdoors like that in FL...what would our concerns be? Gators? Right now all we have are mosquitos to worry about...Also what kind of camper should we go with, right now we have a pop up...but I don't think that would cut it down there...any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 11:51 AM

8 posts, read 82,394 times
A pop-up will work fine down here,unless you want to camp in the middle of summer,which I wouldn't recommend anyway because of the mosquitos.You shouldn't have too much to worry about with gators unless your camping in a hooch out in the glades.Alligators are not as bad as you see on your sensationalized local news channel,they tend to avoid humans and usually go the other direction when they see you.The reason they seem to be "invading" is because their habitat is being constantly encroached upon by development.The heat is another factor that you have to deal with during the summer.I know the actual temperature may say only 92 degrees but when you add in the humidity factor, it feels well over 100.A friend of mine that lives in Las Vegas said the 90 degree heat here feels worse than when it is 110 in Vegas.Good luck.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,106,883 times
Fl has a lot of national state parks. look them up online. they are spread out from north to south FL

Old 07-08-2007, 03:47 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,937,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymccamper View Post
Is there good camping in Florida? We are coming from Michigan and enjoy camping. We would like to continue to do so, but we aren't sure about being outdoors like that in FL...what would our concerns be? Gators? Right now all we have are mosquitos to worry about...Also what kind of camper should we go with, right now we have a pop up...but I don't think that would cut it down there...any suggestions?
There are AWESOME places to go camping in Florida, and like previous posters said, the alligators should be nothing to worry about. Just do NOT feed them!!!!!!!! I recommend camping in the winter because of the humidity and mosquitos in the summer, and there are a lot of cool places in Everglades Natl. Park and throughout the state, actually! I don't go camping, but I can tell you there are PLENTY of places.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:31 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,629,763 times
Summer camping in Florida is not the most comfortable activity. Fall, Winter and Spring camping, however, is awesome. You can check out the state parks here: Welcome to the Official Florida Online Parks Guide!!

If you really have an urge to camp in Florida in the summer, then try to go to the parks around the Ocala area. The springs there are cold and refreshing and many have public swimming areas. Just be sure to bring bug repellant as the deerflies are mean biters in the summer.

One neat thing about the state park system is you can reserve a camping space in advance and not worry about the park being sold out when you get there.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Another good link.....

Florida camping primer: Florida campgrounds, campsites, weather and gear

Old 07-08-2007, 04:35 PM

Yet another round of options for camping in Florida. We found the Forestry parks to be less crowded than the State Parks are, probably because less folks know about them maybe?

State Forests in Florida HOME: Division of Forestry - FDACS

Old 07-08-2007, 04:38 PM

The Blackwater River State Forest (north Florida/Panhandle area) is my favorite spot to camp, but Myakka River State Park (Sarasota area) comes in a close second.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,106,883 times
St. Augustines' Anastasia Park is nice too if you want to be on the beach at the same time. The campground has it's own private beach access to the ocean. Daytona has a nice state park too and a 10 minute drive to the beach. I too recommend camping in the fall, winter or early spring. It's too hot to even be at the beach during mid summer heat at least for me. We used to camp in tents and just last year upgraded to a travel trailer. Oh what a difference it made. We try to take it out often even if it's just for weekend getaways.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,867,480 times
If you want to make a trip to the Keys I would suggest that. I went last September to Long Key State Park and all my fiance and I had was a tent. We did not even have a camper and we were fine. We had a camp site right on the beach and it also had a place to grill. Although it was the rainy season down there we had a blast but having a camper that should not bother you too much if it rains off and on during the day. It is beautiul down there but it is an extra few hous away from Miami so it is quite a drive. There are a lot of good camping spots on the upper and lower Keys. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida