Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 AM

18 posts, read 37,982 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,
My husband and I are relocating our family to Florida and we need some help on what part to move to.

We are AA family consisting of us (43 and 38)and our 3 kids a girl 7 and 2 boys 17 and 19. We are looking for an area that is diverse, active, and friendly.

What I mean is we don't want to worry about cross burnings, child molesters, people standing on the corner trying to sell you drugs or robbing you or your house, basically no "ghetto or poor trailer park areas". Trust me between Baltimore,MD and Petersburg, VA I done seen it all and don't want to see it again.

Where is a good place that has nice beaches, schools, actives for the kids, malls and some kind of nightlife that will stay open late and is not a strip club hubby likes them but I hate strip clubs.

My hubby and I have been looking at some really nice houses online at Craigslist around Tampa bay area like New port Richey, Port Richey, and Holiday but after reading some post here I am scared real scared .
So, any area will be worth a look I was looking at Daytona Beach and Ft Myers too. Please don't say Miami I can't afford to move there and too many Latins and such there. I don't want to lose out because I can't speak anything but english.

Jobs are not a problem my husband is a otr driver and my oldest works for Walmart. I go to college so we are ok money wise. But we are not rich my husband said for me to find a house that is no more than $900 mo with 3br 2 ba so it is all on me so if I mess up I will be the bad guy.

I lived in Pensacola (Escambia)over 20 years ago but I was a Navy kid so we did not stay long but we stayed long enough for hurricane season so I am not afraid.

Any advice you give I will take it to heart when making a choice on where to look.
Thank you,
Mrs. H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:14 AM

224 posts, read 546,135 times
What is AA ? I feel dumb asking, I don't remember that one!

And good luck. Even in the more rural places I have been looking where rent is cheaper, a thousand a month for a 3 bedroom is at the BOTTOM end of what I have seen. But like my husband and I think, that is what is advertised, when you get to a place all the good deals aren't advertised.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Florida is like anywhere... there's good areas and there's shady areas. Get into a good neighborhood and you'll be okay.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 PM

83 posts, read 206,492 times
The Gulf Breeze area in Santa Rosa County is a great place for kids. The schools are top notch. The university is over in Pensacola and a Junior Community College is there as well. I left this area 3 yrs ago and went to western NC. I cannot wait to get back to FL. Good luck.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
You sound like a great fit for Polk County.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
What is AA ? I feel dumb asking, I don't remember that one!
African American most likely.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 PM

151 posts, read 714,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
African American most likely.
I read it as an "Alcoholics Anonymous" family and thought they wanted the avoid areas that would entice them to drink.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
I read it as an "Alcoholics Anonymous" family and thought they wanted the avoid areas that would entice them to drink.
AA= Afro American

Believe me I live in Virginia where alcohol is sold everywhere but the schools.

I know Pensacola, Gulf Breezes area loved it when I was a Navy Brat. But my credit is shot due to upside down mortgage on my current house and medical Bills in fact I will be doing a chapter 7 within the next month or so. I am scared to do real estate companies and giving away what money we have saved dealing with credit checks when we know it looks bad. I don't mind background checks because we are clean. So, unless we find people who just care about income and background check we are limited.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redraven_y2k View Post
Please don't say Miami I can't afford to move there and too many Latins and such there.
You said you wanted a diverse area? You sound like you would otherwise like some suburbs in South Florida.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You sound like a great fit for Polk County.
What's Polk County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida