Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

This my Friend you just may be correct about - but we won't know until a comparison of a similar city is made. Overall I agree that southern folk tend to be nicer. So, it is not completely unreasonable to expect people to be nicer! On the same hand I don't expect to be cursed (or is it cussed - lol) out on a daily basis in South Florida either.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:31 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
I know someone who moved from Florida to the Asheville to work at the Biltmore Estate's in marketing and only stayed one winter. They are now back in Florida in working at Disney in marketing.

Did not like Asheville at all. Everyone likes something different and if you like Florida and what Florida has to offer, you won't like Asheville.

I know Asheville and the Smokey Mtns and love the Smokies and what it has to offer but I would not ever want to live there.

Both Asheville and Sarasota are beautiful areas ( well Asheville in the summer is anyway ) but for me even with the Smokies being so beautiful there is no comparison in the two towns.

Florida is NOT for everyone just as living in or near the mountains of NC is NOT for everyone.

For anyone to paste every town in Florida as bad to make an excuse to leave for Asheville is silly.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:56 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMom View Post
Ugggh! We're so tired of struggling, and things appear to only be getting worse. It's been said that Florida will be one of the last states to recover financially, and we're living it daily. Bill costs climb, cost of living increases are frozen and people are still being laid off left and right.......

I'm in Nursing, hubby is in technology.

Where to go?

We want wide open spaces, quality people and schools to raise our children....

I've lived here all my life and I'm broken hearted about it, but we're convinced we will just NEVER prosper here
I hear more good things than not about Texas, definitely worth considering.

Affordable housing, no income tax, nice people, good schools, wide open spaces and growth

Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
Well the main issues people have with FL on this forum seem to be

1. Hispanic immigrants
2. "Rude" people relocating from the northeast
3. Traffic/congestion
4. poor public schools
5. foreclosures
6. suburban sprawl
7. crime

All of that can be found in North Carolina and Georgia. No place in this economy is recession proof and yes FL has been hit hard. But cities like Jacksonville and Tampa whose primary industry is not tourisim will fair better than the smaller tourist/retiree oriented places.

Good and accurate post !!! ... funny is I see GA heading the way of the above "issues" list ... just add terrible air quality in its largest city
( Atlanta )

Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Are you Mike Peterson???? If not you must be twins.....
It's not even worth it. People will argue my points until blue in the face. Even though I and many of my family members have lived in both Asheville and S FL - and probably been living in S FL longer than a few of the posters have even been alive - but they know more about Asheville's crime than I do.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Com I don't think that is what Trim is saying at least it isn't what I'm trying to say at all! I totally get what you are saying - in your opinion NC has everything you want low crime, nice people and great quality of life. My only point to you is that I believe strongly that there is a town in florida that produces exactly the same things for other people. Can you just step back a moment and accept that it isn't likely as a whole to get robbed, raped, killed in most parts of Florida as is the same for NC? I realize there are pockets in every state that have bad/very bad areas and in a state as large as Florida you will have more pockets. What do ya think?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Com I don't think that is what Trim is saying at least it isn't what I'm trying to say at all! I totally get what you are saying - in your opinion NC has everything you want low crime, nice people and great quality of life. My only point to you is that I believe strongly that there is a town in florida that produces exactly the same things for other people. Can you just step back a moment and accept that it isn't likely as a whole to get robbed, raped, killed in most parts of Florida as is the same for NC? I realize there are pockets in every state that have bad/very bad areas and in a state as large as Florida you will have more pockets. What do ya think?
Of course, there are bad areas in every city in every state.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Estero..... The only place I have been in the state with no crime, and not one single bad area at all. Everywhere else I have been down here has had both. I am just lucky to be here right now. And yes pretty much every city has a crappy area in every state.

People down here talk about Naples like it is the best place in FL, and how great it is. Take a ride down to Davis Blvd and see how "great" Naples is... Naples is a crap hole. They claimed to be so "cime free, and low crime throughout". Yet every day I see bad stuff including murders coming out of Collier county. Not murders every day, but more and more in the last few years. We won't go there with Pit Myers and Cape Coma... Cape Coma used to be really low crime, now it's going downhill FAST.

There are cities and towns here in FL that are pretty low crime, but you have to really look for them. When you find them, be ready to pay more to live there. Estero is great, but pretty expensive. Great place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida