Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:40 PM

38 posts, read 162,486 times

Advertisements

"Also, I'm pretty sure I want something suburban, maybe even a gated community with tropical flowers and a brochure-like facade"

I moved from Quincy to Boca - and I'm happy I did. There's something about beautiful scenery that boosts my morale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 124,854 times
Riveree, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it strange. I also did some research on San Diego, and man...the posters were practically fighting over their turf, defending crime, gang activity... No thanks. I actually visited San Diego for a day, and it appears nice, but I don't want to constantly be looking over my shoulder or restricted to where I can walk/travel. And I'm not a small guy, or even a square: I lived in New Mexico for a year, amidst rampant junkies and gangs. Yes, if you keep your nose clean you'll be safe, but I prefer to be in a safe place...and then choose where to stick my nose

Twistedsista: Quincy Mass? No kidding. Does that explain the music title? (LOL. I'm going to Marina Bay this weekend!). Well I'm with you, because I love sunny, colorful scenery to wake me right out of bed each day.

The job market is bleak, friends, but the hunt continues...

Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I wonder about this too, Luckycharms. There is a lot of talk on the forums about crime. Crime happens, and it's a terrible thing, but is it that prevalent in the everyday lives of these posters?

I'm far from oblivious about the possibility of crime in my day to day activities, but I just keep my guard up as best I can and go on with life.
Not where I live (Tallahassee). We have crime but in the nicer parts of the city, it is not a significant problem. I see elementary school kids playing unsupervised in my neighborhood all day and night, and I think the last burglarly in the immediate neighborhood was over 10 year ago...

if you stay away from the major cities and tourist areas, rural and small-town Florida can be one of the safest places in the country to live.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 45,220 times
Default I am so greatful for the positive energy!!!

Finally some thought provoking sense-making points! up to now all I've been reading is negative, scary blogs. The winters in long island are so debilitating, people hybernate literally. you don't see or hear from friends and all you want to do is sleep until spring. Then a few nice weeks, and wham-o the intense heat. July & August is peppy, and then the last week in August you can feel the warmth leaving.

And my energy leaves with it. Thx for all the positive points because I was really hoping to find them. and it makes sense that people will have negative things to say about the place they are leaving!

The word "bugs" does stop me in my tracks, though. humitity - well I can go swimming or find air conditioning. right?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:34 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterviewgal View Post
Finally some thought provoking sense-making points! up to now all I've been reading is negative, scary blogs. The winters in long island are so debilitating, people hybernate literally. you don't see or hear from friends and all you want to do is sleep until spring. Then a few nice weeks, and wham-o the intense heat. July & August is peppy, and then the last week in August you can feel the warmth leaving.

And my energy leaves with it. Thx for all the positive points because I was really hoping to find them. and it makes sense that people will have negative things to say about the place they are leaving!

The word "bugs" does stop me in my tracks, though. humitity - well I can go swimming or find air conditioning. right?

Don't worry about the bugs or other animals. Just enjoy them as part of the scene and use good sense when dealing with them.

I was going to tell you about how I got stung in the face by a Florida scorpion but never mind...

Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,176 times
As a college student in Miami, there's nowhere else I'd want to live than in Miami. Miami offers the convenience of city life and suburbia. Plus, there's always some type of civic event going on (Miami Fashion Week, Bike Miami, Art Basel Miami, Miami Book Festival, Miami Food & Wine Festival, Sony Ericcson Open, college football, Miami Art Festival, you name it). Then, you've got all the museums, sports, beaches, parks, culture, shopping places, neighborhoods, food, etc. I'm a city person, so I love the fact that I can catch the Metro from Downtown to Dadeland or be minutes from anything I want in South Beach, but still be 5 minutes from a national park. I love Miami.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 9,833 times
need to know area with jobs in construction/home improvement and is affordable to live

Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffercw View Post
need to know area with jobs in construction/home improvement and is affordable to live
at this time I am unemployed

Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM

122 posts, read 401,819 times
Stay in the major cities (Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, etc) and stay away from NorthWest Florida (Pensacola, Panama City, Crestview, Etc) I have lived in the Pensacola area my entire life and have never liked it here and over the years, all my family has moved away to different parts of the country. This area of florida has never had a decent job market and now with the economy, it's near impossible to find a job here, even at Wal-Mart and Target! Pensacola is also a smaller town and doesn't have much to offer other than the beaches. Pensacola itself is a poor city with a lot of run down areas... visit Pensacola sometime and drive through Brownsville, warrington, mayfair, montclair, and on main street by the sewage plant. You'll think twice about coming here. Pensacola also has the 11th worth polution in the USA, worst than los angeles due to a company that is located in Milton. Also, drive down Pace Blvd and W Street while you are here, as well as Fairfield. CareerBuilder lists 13 technology jobs here, Jacksonville shows nearly 200, Atlanta over 600. There are so many more choices than this hole in the earth.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I don't know Northwest Florida for a young hip graphic designer???? I am in the same industry as this original poster. IMO, You need to be in the larger cities for work (Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Palm Beach that is it). In our industry it has been said "the good artists don't stay in Florida they go to NY, Chicago, LA" I have met some great artist down here don't get me wrong. The #1 ad agency in the country (located in Miami) just moved their entire art department out to Boulder to be in a more creative environment, just think in their opinion Miami isn't a creative enough environment. Depending on your skills, Florida may be fine, but if you are looking for a bigger career look at NYC, LA or Chicago.
We have artist in our family and I don't know a one of them that makes a living at it. But I'm not so sure they have really tried to either this is not in my gene's tho its more in the gene's of one my mother's ex's with whom she has two children and which means one of my sisters so that is the only blood in that aspect. I never knew that artistry ran in the family but I guess it does in theirs.

I do recall fooling around with drawing in my youth here and there and did pretty good with help but never really pursued it. And can't even copy what I use to do in my youth. I don't really have the patients for it anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida