Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 PM

19 posts, read 69,396 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I'll be moving to Florida but I haven't decided where exactly, Destin seems to be my first choice but I'm still unsure. I'm 30, single, racially mixed (I don't know if that matters) and I'm self-employed. Money really isn't an issue. I know I DEFINITELY want to live on the Gulf side and I want to live in a small beach community (these are musts). Now my question is (given the above) where would you move in Florida? Look forward to hearing all your imputs. Feel free to ask any questions too!
Thank you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,407 times
I can only tell you that I've been all over the state and wanted to settle in a Gulf side, small beach community also. Many were suitable, but when I saw the beaches here in Walton County...I was touched. These are about 25 miles east of Destin.

The coastal dune lakes are a phenomenon left unappreciated by most of the population. The Rarity of Coastal Dune Lakes (http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Rarity-of-Coastal-Dune-Lakes&id=1711414 - broken link)

The weather is cool right now but won't stay bad for long. The area is inviting and incredibly pleasant. The 4th of July is the peak of tourist season and things are really busy then. The traffic in Destin/ Ft. Walton is most challenging during season.

All of our friends and relatives who come to visit, fall in love with the place. You will, too.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:42 AM

26 posts, read 54,580 times
The West Coast of Florida is better definitely. I'm from the East Coast of Florida (I live near West Palm Beach), and I've visited the West, and I can tell you the beaches are nicer there, and it's a better, more relaxed lifestyle out there.

The only place on the West Coast I wouldn't recommend is Tampa. It has almost twice the crime-rate of New York City, the drivers are insane, and it's full of annoying college-kids.

Also I'd advise spending some time in Florida, particularly during the summer. You are moving to a state that gets to 83 degrees in DECEMBER, and on top of the, absolutely sweltering humidity all year.

If you love thick, sticky humidity all year, and 80+ degree weather all year, then Florida is fine. Me? I'm moving to New York by next Summer, and I won't miss this sandbar at all.

Also if you have children, do not move here, the educational-system is beyond abysmal, and you will deserve them resenting you for subjecting them to it. I don't think you'll even be able to find a worse educational-system in the entire country. Just do the research.

This is only a State for people who don't want kids, want to retire, and love hot, sticky humidity all year long. If that's you, then move right in.

Last edited by Y_NLD; 12-21-2009 at 04:03 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 PM

So is there a particular small beach community (town) on the Gulf side of Florida any of you guys would recommend? I want to live very close to the beach, walking distance. I reach to you guys for help because with my business I have very little time to travel, experence it then move back to Texas and pack all my personal items and then business items. I rather just go out there and try out the best small beach community!!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,407 times
Each town along this stretch of "30A" has it's own personality. Although I live in Seacrest Beach/Rosemary Beach, Grayton Beach is really neat and I'd love to live there as well. Many celebrities maintain homes here, too. It's not unusual to be in The Red Bar in the evening and have Sheryl Crow walk in and take the stage on a whim. Or to run into Jeff Foxworthy, Tony Romo, Jim Carrey...

Further east is Panama City Beach which is less expensive and a more party attitude but not out of control. Even to the west, Gulf Breeze is very nice. It really depends on what you perceive as suiting your personal style.

I would never tell someone where to live. But I'd say Grayton Beach is worth consideration.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 PM

Thank you so much, you all have been wonderful! I'm going to check out Destin and Grayton beach. More suggestions are welcomed ofcourse!

Old 12-21-2009, 05:40 PM

Seacrest is gorgeous from looking at the pictures. Is there an apartment I could rent, close to the beach in Seacrest? and live close to restauarants, stores etc?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
The panhandle is absolutely gorgeous.

If we did not want to be more central to all the things in Florida I would be in the panhandle for sure.

Make sure you spend some time in the areas of your final choice before renting or buying.

It seems many people have made mistakes of never even visiting areas they moved to and then did not like the town of choice for various reasons.

Goodluck!

PS - If you want to be on the gulf side and you do not choose the panhandle I would go more for the Venice area. Close to some awesome other beaches and many other things.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,036 times
We have to agree with the folks who are suggesting the 30A / Destin Area.

Here are a few photos from yesterday:

Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Absolutely gorgeous photos! Thank you all for helping a Texas lady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida