Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM

330 posts, read 1,084,767 times

Advertisements

Is the heat and humidity really that unbearable in Florida in the summer? We have been down several times in the fall and winter for vacations in the past few years, but have not been down in summer in 15 yrs. I forgot how hot it was then.
I see several people on here complaining about it. Makes me have second thoughts about moving down there at all.
I guess Im gonna have to visit in July to see for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
It's not THAT bad for me, but in the peak summer months (July and august) it can get pretty annoying. Those are the times I find my self at the beach, springs, pools, and water parks.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 AM

330 posts, read 1,084,767 times
I think I can handle it if everytime it bothers me I will just think about the snowstorms up here in Upstate NY!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
DNC - I'm not sure where you are from but I and several other Northerners have come to the conclusion that it seems just as hot in the summers up north as in florida. However, the thing is that the summers tend to last months longer in Florida. I guess that makes it feel hotter. I know that they say the closer to the equator you are the hotter the sun is, but I figure with the size of the hole in the ozone layer over NYC we should be about even on that (at least in my mind).

GLS, I'm so glad you mentioned beach, pool, springs and water parks. When I try to explain to people that it is stifling hot in NYC they argure, but it is reall hot and the beach, pool, springs and water parks are not viable options for the everday. Call me crazy, but I'd rather be hot in Florida than hot in NYC. And, while I understand that you guys have been frozen the past couple of weeks, I would gladly take that over being cold for 5 months!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
I've spent a lot of time in Florida in the summer - all the way from Jacksonville to Key West and lots of places in between. IMO, the summers are very hot and humid, but not any worse than my area (Baltimore) in July and August. The big difference is that they last a lot longer in Florida. What the east coast might experience for a couple of months or so lasts up to 6 months down south.

Still, I much prefer the heat and himidity over the bitter cold and wind of our winters. And, as you mention, the snow storms.

I am hoping to relocate to southwest Florida in the not to distant future. I will happily deal with a few more months of heat and humidity rather than spend the winters feeling like a prisoner in my own home! I hate the cold weather, and it gets worse as I get older.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
DNC - I'm not sure where you are from but I and several other Northerners have come to the conclusion that it seems just as hot in the summers up north as in florida. However, the thing is that the summers tend to last months longer in Florida. I guess that makes it feel hotter. I know that they say the closer to the equator you are the hotter the sun is, but I figure with the size of the hole in the ozone layer over NYC we should be about even on that (at least in my mind).

GLS, I'm so glad you mentioned beach, pool, springs and water parks. When I try to explain to people that it is stifling hot in NYC they argure, but it is reall hot and the beach, pool, springs and water parks are not viable options for the everday. Call me crazy, but I'd rather be hot in Florida than hot in NYC. And, while I understand that you guys have been frozen the past couple of weeks, I would gladly take that over being cold for 5 months!
Agree 100%!!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:35 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
People don't believe me, but I visited 3 summers ago - I was in SE Florida for 15 days and it was cooler there than in NYC, when we got back the heat wave was still on - you have no ideal how different 90HHH feels when you have a pool in the back yard versus 90HHH and nothing but the hot concrete to slap you back in the face!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM

160 posts, read 498,834 times
In my opinon summer in Florida is marginally hotter that summer in New Jersey. It really isn't that bad, for all the complaining that is done on the board.

If you constantly need to be outside during the hottest hours of day doing manual labor, then yes Florida summers would be rough.

However, anyone that is logical, or can help it, knows to do most physical activities early in the morning or later at night. During the hottest part of the day a lot of people go to the beach or enjoy their pools.

I also recall one day during the summer when where I lived in NJ had a 92% humidity and it was in the low thirties in Florida

It gets humid in the northeast and midwest and you have to contend with blazing temperatures of 115+ in Arizona, Indland California, New Mexico etc. Florida rarely breaks 100 in most parts.

In conclusion, Florida summers = hot/long lasting, but not even close to being unbearable.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Is the heat and humidity really that unbearable in Florida in the summer? We have been down several times in the fall and winter for vacations in the past few years, but have not been down in summer in 15 yrs. I forgot how hot it was then.
I see several people on here complaining about it. Makes me have second thoughts about moving down there at all.
I guess Im gonna have to visit in July to see for myself.
When people complain how hot and humid it is here in Florida. They are not saying its the hottest place in the country or the most humid place. They are complaining how long it can be hot and humid in Florida. From Mid-May through November (and even into the winter months) its above 80 degrees and humid. Some parts of the state this past year had over 300 days (10 months) of hot and humid weather in the 80s or higher. 10 months of hot and humid weather is a long time to be uncomfortable outdoors, hence the term hibernation isn't just for the winter months up north. Many Floridians hibernate from Mid-May through November. The best thing is to do your research and come in and visit this summer.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
When people complain how hot and humid it is here in Florida. They are not saying its the hottest place in the country or the most humid place. They are complaining how long it can be hot and humid in Florida.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida