Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times

Advertisements

After reading all these success stories in this posting, I am glad I decided to (someday) move to the lower keys. I am a single soon to be 40yrs old and i just bought a house down the lower keys right on a 45 ft wide canal. I plan on moving to florida someday but for now I can't afford to leave my (glad to have a) good job up north. I am having tenants move into my home in PA to help cover the costs of both homes I now own. I hope to someday rent out the philly house and move permanently to the keys and a life of fishing and diving!!!! Hope my florida job hunting is a successful as my home purchase!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 PM

35 posts, read 100,164 times
I love it when new residents move down to FL. Usually their expectations are pretty low after hearing all the complaints, but they can't resist the pull of the climate so they do it anyways. I've found so many of them say "I should have done it sooner". Nobody lives your life for you and you can certainly make each day as good as you want it to be. Yet we continue to let others negativity or opinions dictate and influence our choices to the point that we rob ourselves of life's greatest joy. The simple quality of life, of just being.

I too, like other posters here have worked hard to purge all the negative people in my life, those who need you to be unhappy too so their life is tolerable. There's no time or place for that in a happy life and one well lived. If you want to move down here you should, because you'll love it as much as you allow yourself to. Welcome home!!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:40 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
After reading all these success stories in this posting, I am glad I decided to (someday) move to the lower keys. I am a single soon to be 40yrs old and i just bought a house down the lower keys right on a 45 ft wide canal. I plan on moving to florida someday but for now I can't afford to leave my (glad to have a) good job up north. I am having tenants move into my home in PA to help cover the costs of both homes I now own. I hope to someday rent out the philly house and move permanently to the keys and a life of fishing and diving!!!! Hope my florida job hunting is a successful as my home purchase!
These success stories are very important to others. I ma hoping to get enough success stories posted that we can make a sticky at the top of the Florida forum.

The information along within this thread answers a ton of questions for most people who are looking to or are wanting to move to Florida.

If you can spend some time in the keys and look around at what the people of the keys needs and wants are, since your moving to the Keys you must have had something draw you to that area. Find a need of those who live there or travel there and fill that need.

Just like the lady who was from NO who baked bread/cookies etc for a living in NO. She is now a growing business in the Keys and lower Florida area. She is making bread not only for her own retail crowds in the Keys, but also for restaurants.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlabruno View Post
My wife and I are buying a home now in Port St Lucie as a secondary home but will be moving into it full time in Sept 2011. I will be 34 and she will be 31 and we both have a good work background. Her Nursing and me Business Manager for the government.

We are super excited to move to Port St Lucie. I have some family there as well.

I saw some pots reading them all talk about the economy and house prices dropping and agree with what some have said. The economy sucks everywhere not just in Florida. Think it is any better in New Jersey? NO, and house prices are dropping all over. I just had a friend in Jersey buy a house worth 440,000 a few years back for 250,000. The important thing to remember is when the economy rebounds and eventually it will your house will jump back up to where it should be one day.

So stay positive as I am and feel good about the future in Florida.
Congrats!

Being positive is vital to your success of moving to Florida or any other location.

Sept 2011 you can begin to enjoy a life full of all the great things Florida has to offer.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 PM

25 posts, read 152,999 times
Default NJ to Pt. St. Lucie maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreone View Post
My wife and I are buying a home now in Port St Lucie as a secondary home but will be moving into it full time in Sept 2011. I will be 34 and she will be 31 and we both have a good work background. Her Nursing and me Business Manager for the government.

We are super excited to move to Port St Lucie. I have some family there as well.

I saw some pots reading them all talk about the economy and house prices dropping and agree with what some have said. The economy sucks everywhere not just in Florida. Think it is any better in New Jersey? NO, and house prices are dropping all over. I just had a friend in Jersey buy a house worth 440,000 a few years back for 250,000. The important thing to remember is when the economy rebounds and eventually it will your house will jump back up to where it should be one day.

So stay positive as I am and feel good about the future in Florida.
I am thinking about a move from Central Jersey to Pt. St. Lucie. I am a pastor and am looking at a church down there. This forum has been wonderful to read. It's nice to hear so many positive things about Florida. New Jersey is a tough place to live. I am amazed at how many NJ folks have moved or are moving to Florida. I also looked at Arizona, but no beach. I am enthused about Pt. St. Lucie. Can't wait to visit to check it out!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilsark View Post
I am thinking about a move from Central Jersey to Pt. St. Lucie. I am a pastor and am looking at a church down there. This forum has been wonderful to read. It's nice to hear so many positive things about Florida. New Jersey is a tough place to live. I am amazed at how many NJ folks have moved or are moving to Florida. I also looked at Arizona, but no beach. I am enthused about Pt. St. Lucie. Can't wait to visit to check it out!

I know several former business friends/owners who moved from NJ to Florida and are spread out all over Florida and tell me how much they love it in Florida.

There are tons of great positives about Florida. Choose a couple towns in the area of your liking and spend some time in those towns.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Came here in 1994 with no idea what Florida was like. I knew it had Palm trees, beaches and a big mouse. I ended up staying for the last 16 years. Had my ups and downs, but I ended up in a decent career I learned here. Been to, and done a lot of things since I have been here. Was going to leave, but things just drastically changed, and I will be here for longer.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Now that's a real success story.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Came here in 1994 with no idea what Florida was like. I knew it had Palm trees, beaches and a big mouse. I ended up staying for the last 16 years. Had my ups and downs, but I ended up in a decent career I learned here. Been to, and done a lot of things since I have been here. Was going to leave, but things just drastically changed, and I will be here for longer.

Your information can be very important to those who will read this thread.

Since you have lived in different parts of Florida your knowledge can help so many people.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Your information can be very important to those who will read this thread.

Since you have lived in different parts of Florida your knowledge can help so many people.
List of cities I was in. Don't forget, I am in apartment maintenance, a lot of moving around and transition in this business. Since my daughter has been in school, I have been here in the Cape Coral/FM/Estero area for the last 5 years.

Orlando(Winter Park)
Melbourne
Palm Bay
Rockledge
Vero beach
Lake Wales
Bradenton
Cape Coral
Fart Myers
Naples(least favorite)
Bonita Springs
AND... Estero.

Landed in Inverness, FL in 1994. I was only there for 2 weeks before we went to Winter Park and began the FL Journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida