Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Coming up on 18 months in Florida.

Amazing how time has flown by.

I am planning on doing a nice assessment of a variety of things about Florida soon.

Hoping it will help others who are planning on moving to Florida.

Pros, cons, do's and don't etc.

The most important thing I can tell those people are for us it was the time spent researching the area we wanted to live in. Then actually spending time in that city getting to know it better.

Without any doubt it made our move a success as we believe we picked a town that fitted our wants other then not being close enough to the ocean but can drive to it whenever we want helps.
I'm glad that Florida is everything that you expected it to be. Thats fantastic. You sure were excited to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
You must be coming up on a couple years Sunny. How about an update on how things are going.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 AM

15 posts, read 80,431 times
I'm so glad to have found this thread. My husband and I have decided to move to Florida within the next 6 months and are very excited about it! I also feel that this forum has more negative stories than good ones. I had just figured the people with the success stories were too busy enjoying their wonderful Floridian lifestyles to post on this board. We almost skipped looking at Palm Coast on our trip down due to the many negative comments about that town, and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was when we got down there and how perfect it seemed for our family. Everyone should take all comments on these forums with a grain of salt - investigate the places on your own - and remember that it's YOUR life and if it's YOUR dream, then you will make it work. The weather itself is enough to boost my spirits by a ton, and the palm trees are beaches are amazing too, coming from WI!!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_solace View Post
I'm so glad to have found this thread. My husband and I have decided to move to Florida within the next 6 months and are very excited about it! I also feel that this forum has more negative stories than good ones. I had just figured the people with the success stories were too busy enjoying their wonderful Floridian lifestyles to post on this board. We almost skipped looking at Palm Coast on our trip down due to the many negative comments about that town, and I couldn't believe how beautiful it was when we got down there and how perfect it seemed for our family. Everyone should take all comments on these forums with a grain of salt - investigate the places on your own - and remember that it's YOUR life and if it's YOUR dream, then you will make it work. The weather itself is enough to boost my spirits by a ton, and the palm trees are beaches are amazing too, coming from WI!!
The success stories on this thread have some common points.

These folks moved here with a good job or some sort of income, or moved during the boom times. Most also had realistic expectations.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Okay, here is my story.

In November of 2011 my husband found out he was being transferred from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to Sarasota, Florida. Fortunately three years prior we had sold our big home, and downsided to a two bedroom condo.

We have always spent a lot of time in South Florida as five different sets of friends have second homes in Fort Lauderdale and my parents live in the keys part time. We also owned a home in Fort Lauderdale for a short period of time and we were in Florida at least once a month.

We had until January 2nd to get to Sarasota and boy did those days fly by! Trying to get down here to see rentals was impossible between Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years so on January 2nd, my husband, three cats, and Beta Fish moved into the Marriott.

Trying to find a rental in peak season was trying to say the least. Everyone wanted first, last, and security so a $2500 rental quickly turned into a $7500 check. No. Way. I'd buy something first.

Fortunately we found an apartment complex close to the beach that didn't have a problem with my three rescue kitties.

While my husband and I decided to move to Florida in 2003, we didn't make it down here until 2012.

Moving down here without a job already lined up is a recipe for disaster. It has taken me a year to find a good job. Yes, you can get a waitressing job fairly easily but that's a hard way to make a living.

I LOVE living in Sarasota and wouldn't change a thing. While it wasn't my first choice in Florida cities before, it certainly is now.

My advice for anyone else is do not move here without a job. It took us nine years and was worth the wait.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Okay, here is my story.

In November of 2011 my husband found out he was being transferred from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to Sarasota, Florida. Fortunately three years prior we had sold our big home, and downsided to a two bedroom condo.

We have always spent a lot of time in South Florida as five different sets of friends have second homes in Fort Lauderdale and my parents live in the keys part time. We also owned a home in Fort Lauderdale for a short period of time and we were in Florida at least once a month.

We had until January 2nd to get to Sarasota and boy did those days fly by! Trying to get down here to see rentals was impossible between Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years so on January 2nd, my husband, three cats, and Beta Fish moved into the Marriott.

Trying to find a rental in peak season was trying to say the least. Everyone wanted first, last, and security so a $2500 rental quickly turned into a $7500 check. No. Way. I'd buy something first.

Fortunately we found an apartment complex close to the beach that didn't have a problem with my three rescue kitties.

While my husband and I decided to move to Florida in 2003, we didn't make it down here until 2012.

Moving down here without a job already lined up is a recipe for disaster. It has taken me a year to find a good job. Yes, you can get a waitressing job fairly easily but that's a hard way to make a living.

I LOVE living in Sarasota and wouldn't change a thing. While it wasn't my first choice in Florida cities before, it certainly is now.

My advice for anyone else is do not move here without a job. It took us nine years and was worth the wait.
Blueherons, so glad you ended up in Sarasota and love it here! And you have rescue kitties - so do we! Anyway, Sarasota, to me, is one of the nicest places in Florida to live; at least for what I want in an area. And in all your posts, you seem like such a cool person - so glad to have you in my beautiful city and home state!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Blueherons, so glad you ended up in Sarasota and love it here! And you have rescue kitties - so do we! Anyway, Sarasota, to me, is one of the nicest places in Florida to live; at least for what I want in an area. And in all your posts, you seem like such a cool person - so glad to have you in my beautiful city and home state!
Awww, thanks for the welcome gypsychic! I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Please add your success stories here so many others can read, learn and enjoy them.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:51 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_solace View Post
Did you ever make it down?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Hey Chris... Nice to see you here again. Happy new year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida