Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 22,752 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation:

I'm a single mom with a 12 year old son who is half Japanese. Growing up in the south, I got along with people of all ethnicities (I am caucasian -fair coloring). After college, I moved to Hawaii, married a man of Japanese descent and had my son. We divorced and he now lives in the Florida panhandle. Because of my profession, pharmaceutical sales, I have lived in Seattle, Wa; Savannah, GA; Tallahassee FL and France (yes, the country). My son loves Honolulu, but at my age, 51, I am ready to settle in one place, buy a home and plant roots. I love Hawaii, but don't have a billion dollars to buy a home there and home ownership is a top priority. Florida has the beaches and beauty like Hawaii without the staggering price tag.

When we lived in Georgia and Tallahassee, my son was taunted and bullied for his asian features. It was so bad in school in Tallahassee, I ended up homeschooling him. My son, having been exposed to many diverse cultures, is very outgoing and makes friends easily. However, after the previous experiences of racism, I am anxious about relocating in Florida. However, my company has offered a non-traveling opportunity in the state and it's time to settle down and have some stability.

Which communities in Florida:
- have the least racial tension & are more accepting of Asians?
- have older homes (I love vintage 1930's and older houses) that cost less than $300,000?
- have things to do for kids as well as a single woman who would like to meet a special man and maybe remarry?
- would be safe for a woman and child to live?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Last edited by blanclila; 01-26-2010 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Southeast Florida is probably the most diverse part of the state. and probably the closest you are going to get to accepting of different backgrounds. I would check into Broward and Palm Beach Counties if I were you. You probably will not find a vintage home for under 300k in a nice area, but you can always look. South East Florida has plenty of things for children and single people too. Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,513,310 times
A lots people say that Broward county is the most tolerant in the state

Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM

I have heard that about Broward county. Thank you for the replies!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:45 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
There are vintage and historic home neighborhoods in your price range West Palm Beach (check out the Southend, Flamingo Park, Grandview Heights, Sunshine Park, Southland Park). I live in Flamingo Park and its very bohemian/accepting. The area in general is very diverse.

I know parts of Tampa and Sarasota also have nice historic areas and vintage homes.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:53 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There are vintage and historic home neighborhoods in your price range West Palm Beach (check out the Southend, Flamingo Park, Grandview Heights, Sunshine Park, Southland Park). I live in Flamingo Park and its very bohemian/accepting. The area in general is very diverse.

I know parts of Tampa and Sarasota also have nice historic areas and vintage homes.
This is a very good suggestion. Coastal southern West Palm Beach, South Tampa, and Sarasota are all options that fit your criteria well.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
My vote is for Sarasota county. Excellent school system and historical homes in the downtown Sarasota area.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 PM

I will definitely check out the cities you all have recommended.

SoFLGal, I've been looking at Sarasota - do you know how diverse that area is and if there is much opportunity to meet other single adults?

And TriMT7, I am quite bohemian myself, so I love your suggestion of Flamingo Park - what a very "Florida" sounding name!

Sometimes it is difficult to balance my needs as a single adult with my child's educational and social needs, so I really appreciate the suggestions.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times
Sorry your kid's having such problems. People can be such jerks.

For racial tolerance I'd look towards south Florida (my youngest nephew's best friend is asian) or Tampa. Not a lot of 1930s housing in Broward. Maybe nearer to downtown West Palm Beach. Or Lake Worth (again, in town, not the suburbs). Certainly Miami & Miami Beach has housing from the 30s.

Personally I'd think your best bet is Tampa which has more of a racial mix, (City-data shows a greater Asian population there than in south Florida--which I was not aware of) and it has a huge area of arts & crafts styled bungalows (I believe they are from the 30s, not sure) known as the Heights (Seminole Heights, Tampa Heights, etc) and you can buy in for way under $300k (safest closer to the river). Do your research however as foreclosure rates are quite high there especially in areas which were in the middle of gentrification when housing crashed.

ps. Sarasota is only diverse if you consider tanned white people diversification.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanclila View Post
I will definitely check out the cities you all have recommended.

SoFLGal, I've been looking at Sarasota - do you know how diverse that area is and if there is much opportunity to meet other single adults?

And TriMT7, I am quite bohemian myself, so I love your suggestion of Flamingo Park - what a very "Florida" sounding name!

Sometimes it is difficult to balance my needs as a single adult with my child's educational and social needs, so I really appreciate the suggestions.

Well, the neighborhood in general is very forward thinking. They have monthly get togethers for residents, home and garden tours twice a year, neighborhood centric volunteer opportunities, etc. which is a good place to meet people. Also, you're very close to downtown West Palm and Palm Beach, which has a singles and entertainment scene.

Many local groups and organizations are available to join. And of course, there's always no shame in meeting people online.

This is a good website for getting a feel of the houses available in a particular neighborhood in Palm Beach County:

http://floridahome.palmbeachpost.com...unicipality=39

It doesn't have every listing available, but gives a sense of the types of inventory available.

In the "neighborhood" box, be sure to check out Grandview Heights, South of Southern, El Cid (very fancy neighborhood, but some good deals may be found), Southland Park, and Central Park/Monceaux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida