Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver View Post
...we will travel from Indiana to see some houses and help him buy the home before he returns to the states.
I think this is an important factor in helping you as to what normal is from your perspective in where you're from in Indiana. i.e. Urban vs Rural, Multi Cultural, etc.

Daytona Beach is the smallest town I've ever lived in my entire life. Being urban, I embrace diversity and having access to numerous cultures, races and festivals. This may not be your cup of tea.

Quote:
One additional question or two on Daytona. Is crime a major concern in the areas you mentioned?
The areas I mentioned are absolutely fine. Daytona has virtually little violent crimes (and if there is any, it's always during some Special Event from drunk tourists attacking each other over the last beer ). Like most other areas, we have seen an increase in burglaries this past year due to the economy.

The factors that strike me as odd about Daytona Beach are that:
  1. All the Special Events such as Daytona 500, Bike Week, Spring Break attract transients/homeless from all over the country who just show up because of the action, good weather, etc. Then they move on to some other place. People who may show up for these events ususally get the impression they are here year-round are a normal part of our city population, however the are NOT! (I think when you purchase your tickets you should be allowed the option for adopting one and taking them back to your town when you leave as they might have come from there originally.)
  2. Drug dealers and prostitutes actually commute here from other areas such as Orlando, JAX etc to offer their services to tourists (requesting them) during these events.
  3. Most of the Social Service Agencies for the entire region (like the VA, Salvation Army, etc.) happen to be located in Daytona Beach. This means most of the social ills from surrounding communities are sent here because they don't offer anything to help anyone. The city is working to spread these services out to other locations in the region.
Here is a link to Daytona Beach crime maps (you can also put your city in as well to compare):
Search CrimeReports.com=

Quote:
Do you know if the areas you noted would have potential for resell or rent?
The areas I mentioned closest to the Halifax River + walking/cycling distance to amenities would probably fare the best.

Quote:
We will also work with a local realtor and if you know of any that are reputable, let me know.
The TOS for this thread do NOT allow posters to make specifc vendor/product recommendations (although I can recommend a restaurant or hotel) as this helps limit posts from professional PR firms flogging specific goods/services in their posts (hidden agendas).

I can say that there are now realtors known as "Exclusive Buyers Agents" who do not have a conflict of interest of having any listings for sale. This means they cannot steer potential buyers to properties they (or their firm) have an interest in.

You may wish to research if there happen to be any in this area.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 02-27-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM

8 posts, read 35,362 times
So DaytonaDewd (that name sounds familiar... Do you post elsewhere with the same name, News-Journal or other ??). Great info you provided in this thread.

I also thought (by hearsay) that homeowner & flood, etc. insurance was sky high. Is it a lot more if you live right on the river vs near the river?

And what about the Wind insurance I've heard you need if you are anywhere from 0 to 12-15 miles from the ocean?

I also read property taxes are up in DB 137%.

I also keep reading about the low-lifes, homeless, druggies, criminal population increasing & out of control, etc. etc.

Yet the way you describe it, DB is not that bad at all. I actually had never heard your description before, lol, but it's nice to hear a positive opinion. I guess I've been reading too many reader comments at the News-Journal (for lack of any bonafide DB forum anywhere on the net that I could find). Man oh man, talk about DEmoralizing, the comments at News-Journal. Whew! I was thinking of coming back to DB eventually but due to all the negative comments at the NJ, I was beginning to change my mind.

In another thread here, I had read a few months ago where you told a lady that it's the entrepreneurs that make it in DB. If I come back that was to be my plan.

Look forward to running across all your educational posts & yes, there should be a separate DB section here at city-data.

Last edited by Florida4Dummies; 03-07-2010 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 AM

8 posts, read 35,362 times
PS: Is that DB Beach Street in the pic in your profile? Very nice. Reminds me of the one of the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse with the full moon, a Jeff Greenberg (?) pic I think. He also has a nice one of the Halifax River at sunset. Google google Images.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:19 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Thumbs up News-Journal - Just Forgetaboutit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida4Dummies View Post
...Yet the way you describe it, DB is not that bad at all. I actually had never heard your description before, lol, but it's nice to hear a positive opinion. I guess I've been reading too many reader comments at the News-Journal (for lack of any bonafide DB forum anywhere on the net that I could find). Man oh man, talk about DEmoralizing, the comments at News-Journal. Whew! I was thinking of coming back to DB eventually but due to all the negative comments at the NJ, I was beginning to change my mind.
That's WHY I no longer subscribe to, read or view the News-Journal website (have you read the comments after stories? )

Their view of the city is that it should just be razed as part of some sort of cleansing program (hint: racial), yet they promote using it as the public toilet for the entire region (as well as having DB subsidizing the wiping of other municipal backsides)! Such a deal!

I think if they're ever sold soon, they should change their name to "The Halifax H@re (sic)!" (Go figure if they can't even spell their own name right, you KNOW what kind of coverage you're about to get on ANY news.)

What I find about most posts regarding Daytona Beach is that a some point in the past 30 years they visited here. Either for Spring Break, Races, etc -- or to get a donut off of I-95. So now that I've been to Newark a few times, should I be eagarly posting to the New Jersey board as a local expert?

Both Daytona (AND Newark) have changed a lot in the past 4 years!

BTW, my taxes actually went DOWN (as did my property value), so again dunno WHERE you're getting these facts. Ditto for your homeowners insurance facts too. (But will say it's getting harder and harder to get renewed, there are more inspections/hurdles to jump, easier to get dropped and harder to find companies underwriting all over the State anyway.)

Yes, the photo in my profile is of Beach Street. I change out the shots regularly to show proof (a photo is worth a thousand words) that DB is a clean, decent city full of promise and real people (who can also read).

Last edited by daytonadewd; 03-07-2010 at 10:39 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,319 times
Thumbs up Thanks I'm looking to

Move there from Canada, Newmarket. ON

Would like a place I can rent out for the summer months.

Any advice is helpful.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 AM

227 posts, read 856,024 times
Palm Coast/Flagler County property taxes are much less than Volusia County taxes. Schools are also very good here. Plenty of parks.

Jobs of course is the biggest problem. Our home ins is $988 a year for $246k. Good luck and be sure to check all the areas as there are plenty of good cities.

Please thank your son for his service to our country.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:32 PM

231 posts, read 849,253 times
I also attended ERAU...Great school for those with a passion for aviation.

I agree that Port Orange, Ormond or Deland are all nice areas and well within a decent travel time to the college.

Not sure about the home prices in that range?

I've since flown for the airlines and large corporate departments. Currently flying medivac in Hawaii, but do miss the Daytona area and plan on one day returning to finish up my flying career.

If he is going to be a flight student let me know. I can answer alot of questions. Specifically on how to save a ton of money on the flight portion while still obtaining the ERAU degree. Their planes are overpriced and you can get the same certificates from a local school in Ormond or new Smyrna while at the same time taking "normal" classes at the college.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Definitely agree with Port Orange or South Daytona. Deland is a bit of a hike to daytona IMO

Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 AM

6 posts, read 12,464 times
I brought my husband to Daytona beach for his first time and he absolutely fell in love with it. So in love he wants to move down there from MN. He may be able to transfer to the auto auction as he works for the one here in MN. I need info on schools and good area's to live. We would be renting a house.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 AM
R66

145 posts, read 419,600 times
I've lived off an on in Daytona Beach since the late 1970s. I currently own a plush Condo in the best ocean front residence in all Volusia county.

My opinion? Daytona is a toilet -- period.

This city is completely dead -- period.

There was a point in the mid 1980s when Daytona was headed to be the next Miami Beach of Central Florida but the old retired guard wouldn't have it. That said, I'm trying hard to sell my Condo. I am done with Volusia county and all of central Florida. Daytona is a repressed area for many years now. if you are old, retired, a Bum from the midwest or a burned out Biker or drug addict or alcoholic then you will love DB.

Daytona Beach has the highest suicide rate per capita in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida