Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:31 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
You mean we've been getting bent out of shape responding to a 14 year old's research??????

Okay, okay...I always thought there was a minimum age to post here. Well, hope we helped.
Thats funny we lived in Union County for 2 very long years....Mod that is funny, my son is almost 15 and wouldnt post here Hope this helped you rl

enjoy your road trip...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 AM

76 posts, read 242,566 times
Thumbs down don't move here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltluke View Post
I'm trying to get an "inside look" of Florida from people that live there and how people like where they live.

Anything you want to say is appreciated greatly!

Bad, BAD schools some of the worst. I know there are many educated people in this state, (northeast transplants,etc)etc...but they have to be some of the rudest people i have ever come across!! FL drivers are horrid too! I have never encountered so many fatals on the highways! They are always shuttinh the highways down because of fatals!

I think some people (whom I worked with) were super people BUT, for the most part, snitty, snobby jerks with sticks up their arses.. I lived in a well-to-do neighborhood in Orlando. I have never seen so many people in my neighborhood not talk to one another! OMG!! I said hello to my neighbors one day, then never spoke to them after that! You think some people would welcome you to the neighborhood?? Everyone was snooty there! I couldn't wait to leave. Rude drivers, rude people, rude everything! I did like Baskin Robbins though!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
It's a mixed feeling for me...ive seen lots of bad shi$ in Florida in my personal life..but i "LOVE" the state ..there is something about saying I'm from Florida that gives me a sense of pride wherever I go....i live in Tennessee now and although people are way nicer in general here i miss Florida after leaving 5 months ago because of personal problems....you have to have lived in and experienced Florida for some time to understand it....I know this is general info but Florida contains people and cultures from all over and a modern feeling but at the same time has that anchor of being in the South /Old Florida at the same time...Surrounded by the top beaches in the world also says something for the state no matter what the crime rate

Old 02-21-2010, 06:22 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post

I think some people (whom I worked with) were super people BUT, for the most part, snitty, snobby jerks with sticks up their arses.. I lived in a well-to-do neighborhood in Orlando. I have never seen so many people in my neighborhood not talk to one another! OMG!! I said hello to my neighbors one day, then never spoke to them after that! You think some people would welcome you to the neighborhood?? Everyone was snooty there! I couldn't wait to leave. Rude drivers, rude people, rude everything! I did like Baskin Robbins though!
So is everyone on this board 14 years old?

Old 02-21-2010, 10:07 AM

54 posts, read 53,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
You mean we've been getting bent out of shape responding to a 14 year old's research??????

Okay, okay...I always thought there was a minimum age to post here. Well, hope we helped.
I don't think there's an age limit? It says on my profile that i'm 14, so there must not be one.

And, is it bad that i'm 14 or something?

I think it's really good that i'm 14 and doing research about where I want to relocate (along with my dad). Maybe in a few years when I'm old enough to live on my own, I'll know the best spot that I want to live in because I've been doing research for years!

And, it kinda seems that you guys' are putting it that FL is the state just like TX, people are proud to be from there...etc. And, i've read this on several other FL forums also.

What do you think?

Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Luke, my grandmother lived her whole life in Monroe, Michigan, but she's gone now. I welcome you to CD and commend your research. I researched possible retirement locations for years before we settled on Florida. I think the sunny days, blue skies, warm weather, access to beaches, natural beauty, and year round opportunities to be outside without freezing are what's most appealing to me. Being from the Midwest helps me appreciate what Florida has to offer. Best wishes.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Luke, my grandmother lived her whole life in Monroe, Michigan, but she's gone now. I welcome you to CD and commend your research. I researched possible retirement locations for years before we settled on Florida. I think the sunny days, blue skies, warm weather, access to beaches, natural beauty, and year round opportunities to be outside without freezing are what's most appealing to me. Being from the Midwest helps me appreciate what Florida has to offer. Best wishes.

Thanks!

What about the people? Half the people say their rude and stuck up, then the other half says their really friendly. Does this depend on what location your in?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltluke View Post
Thanks!

What about the people? Half the people say their rude and stuck up, then the other half says their really friendly. Does this depend on what location your in?
No, I think that every location has both rude and friendly people (and people who just want to be left alone). I (in my old age wisdom) stay away from the rude people and make friends with the friendly people. I should add that I avoid the people who seem too friendly..... (they probably think I am rude).

Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I agree there is a mix of people. The difference though from MI is that in FL you have people from many different states so with that comes with a mix of personalities. I think it is nice you are doing research. A lot more though when the time comes would need to be looked at like are you going to go to college here,work,afford the move. MI and FL are much different. Both have different positives and negatives.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:27 PM

Well, I'll be 15 this summer. So next summer (next year) i'll be 16, and therefore i'll be able to get a job, etc. I plan on going to college, but i'm not sure what for yet.

What are the most common jobs down there?

I've heard the tourist industry and being a carpenter are the two most common? And how's finding a job down there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida