Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 08:42 AM

436 posts, read 1,120,546 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'll be moving to Florida in the next two years.

My wife and I like to have our windows open whenever possible. However, I'm concerned about creating humidity/mold problems in the house. Is it okay to open your windows in Florida? Obviously, in the middle of summer when it's very hot and humid outside you won't want to. But, I'd like to keep them open with fans going rather than use the A/C whenever possible throughout the year.

Is doing so asking for mold problems?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Hi. I'll be moving to Florida in the next two years.

My wife and I like to have our windows open whenever possible. However, I'm concerned about creating humidity/mold problems in the house. Is it okay to open your windows in Florida? Obviously, in the middle of summer when it's very hot and humid outside you won't want to. But, I'd like to keep them open with fans going rather than use the A/C whenever possible throughout the year.

Is doing so asking for mold problems?

Thanks.
I open mine all the time with no problems. A lot will depend on type of construction and whether or not you have a lot of big trees overhanging your house. We have a solid little one-story block stucco home with big windows, great cross-ventilation, and a sunny yard with minimal tree overhang.

Your biggest concern is keep water intrusion out, i.e. leaky roofs, plumbing etc. That's the biggest cause of mold.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 AM

436 posts, read 1,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I open mine all the time with no problems. A lot will depend on type of construction and whether or not you have a lot of big trees overhanging your house. We have a solid little one-story block stucco home with big windows, great cross-ventilation, and a sunny yard with minimal tree overhang.

Your biggest concern is keep water intrusion out, i.e. leaky roofs, plumbing etc. That's the biggest cause of mold.
Thanks gypsychic. What part of your Florida are you in? My wife and I are strongly considering Tampa Bay (not in the city but on the coast).

We definitely want a house with sound structure (stucco/brick, not siding and cheap wood).

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Default mold

Quote:
Thanks gypsychic. What part of your Florida are you in? My wife and I are strongly considering Tampa Bay (not in the city but on the coast).

We definitely want a house with sound structure (stucco/brick, not siding and cheap wood).
Lived in the Tampa area for 10 yrs.. The biggest problem with mold and mildew is lack of air circulation and high humidity. If you not home for an extended period of time, do not set ac higher than 80 degs.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:

We are in northern Sarasota, which is considered part of the Tampa Bay area, same climate basically. Like I said, look for good cross ventilation, big windows and no water intrusion. You will get better breezes on the coast, but it might be a little more humid, so it's a trade-off. We are near the coast, I find it very pleasant except for the few hot, rainy summer months we get. I have my windows open 7-8 months of the year.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:15 PM

25 posts, read 64,068 times
I just bought a house in Palm City. I found some grass cloth in the garage. Somebody told me not to use it because it might contain mold spores. I left the grass cloth unrolled in the house while it was fumigated for mold. Will it be OK or should I throw it out anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida