Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,517,941 times

Advertisements

Wow...

Let me start by saying I live on Long Island and drive into NYC regularly. I am here for a month (3 weeks already). I cannot believe in 3 short weeks how many accidents (and near misses) I have seen from people talking on cell phones.

Just this morning (on the Palmetto) this woman was gabbing on her phone...passed me...changed lanes with no blinker and side swiped another car.

2 days ago...another person on their phone was looking over her shoulder to the right...changed lanes to the left and went onto the shoulder and hit a piece of debris on the road.

I can sort of accept the speeding and non-use of blinkers, but I have never seen so many problems from talking on the phone while driving.

Does anyone know why there are no call phone laws here? Not enough dead people yet? Thats what it took in NY...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 AM

796 posts, read 1,844,409 times
I feel the same way...

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 AM

22 posts, read 59,604 times
i agree 100%!!! I drive 200 miles per day here in FL. The things I see is incredible!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,547,614 times
We have strick cell phone in car laws in NJ, including a texting band. From what I see, it has had no effect! I even see the cops talking on their cell phones while patrolling.

I think that all vehicles and cell phones should have a chip installed that only allows you to use the cell phone if the vehicle is in park. Calls could still come in, but if you wanted to answer you would have to pull over and put the car in park.

Anyway, if you pass by me while driving and talking (or texting) on your cell phone, read my lips: "Stick the cell phone up your a$$ and drive!".

Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 AM

22 posts, read 59,604 times
that reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw recently..it read "hang up and DRIVE!"

plain, simple, and to the point...i love it! :-)

Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I think that all vehicles and cell phones should have a chip installed that only allows you to use the cell phone if the vehicle is in park. Calls could still come in, but if you wanted to answer you would have to pull over and put the car in park.".
I don't think that a chip like that is such a good idea. For example what if someone couldn't call for help while the car was moving, just because of this chip. What if they were in one of those run away Toyotas, and couldn't call for help. They can't obviously pull over to call for help.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,547,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I don't think that a chip like that is such a good idea. For example what if someone couldn't call for help while the car was moving, just because of this chip. What if they were in one of those run away Toyotas, and couldn't call for help. They can't obviously pull over to call for help.

And what did we all do before cell phones arrived and became cheap enough that everyone could own one?

I see 7 year olds riding their bikes around the neighborhood talking on their cell phones. When I worked at the college almost every student I saw walking around campus was talking or texting. I see the students in the back of the class texting. Cell phone are not a device. They have become a desease!

Oh, but that is a valid point. Add to the chip the ability to use 911 with the car still in drive......

Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Cell phones are here to stay, nothing we can do about that. If a parent wants their seven year old to have a cell phone that is their issue, not my business. We can only educate parents and users on better etiquette use of the cell phone. But to put a full no cell phone while driving law in place or chip, is a little harsh when there are times like I gave an example for that using a cell phone while driving is needed. I do agree with you driving and using the cell phone is not a smart idea.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
LOL, we call the left-hand lane on freeways the "cell phone lane." Seems everybody who talks on the phone has to be in that lane and be a super slow driver... It's unbelievable.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

141 posts, read 453,896 times
I 100% agree! I am also from NYC (brooklyn) and I moved into my winter home in palm beach gardens in October last year. I cant believe how many people are on their cellphones! I have nearly been hit at least 5 times already and every time someone was on a cell phone. Every time I look at a driver, they are on their cellphone!

I have a cellphone but I use my handfree bluetooth when I deem it necessary to make/take a phone call while I am driving.

I have seen 4 major accidents on donald ross and military trail and I am willing to bet every time a cellphone was used. It is SICKENING. And I am 27 years old, not someone who is not up to date with technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida