Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM

168 posts, read 424,899 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what field of work you are in. I am trying to relocate, and I am in the process of acquiring a local address and applying to everything and anything. I'm just wondering what fields actually do relocate people as I see people from out of state in all of the areas on this board talk of there new job in "insert Florida area I want to be here" but then everyone says that no one can relocate. Just trying to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
dh is in management consulting IT and have been down here may will be a year...and it wasnt a work transfer..it was a change of life decision....lol

Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
I think most of the time...the kind of Companies that relocate people with all expenses paid, are mostly professional and supervisory office workers. Thats been my observation in the past.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:25 PM

I don't want any expenses paid. I have been doing nothing but saving money since last summer and have more than enough to relocate. I have been considering doing it without a job no later than December of this year, but honestly don't want to still be where I am any later than my 27th birthday (October). I can't catch a break as far as interviews so it probably is my only choice. I doubt the local address is going to do anything.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
I am an attorney and was hired from out of town just over a year ago. The company relocated me here. The company actively recruits out of town but like a previous poster noted mostly they recruit out of town for mid to upper level management, IT and professional positions.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:43 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
I don't want any expenses paid. I have been doing nothing but saving money since last summer and have more than enough to relocate. I have been considering doing it without a job no later than December of this year, but honestly don't want to still be where I am any later than my 27th birthday (October). I can't catch a break as far as interviews so it probably is my only choice. I doubt the local address is going to do anything.
I strongly suggest you have a job to come to here in Florida before you move here unless you have a very high amount of cash saved to hold you over , and, you are quite sure there is a demand for people in whatever your line of work is.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I strongly suggest you have a job to come to here in Florida before you move here unless you have a very high amount of cash saved to hold you over , and, you are quite sure there is a demand for people in whatever your line of work is.
I always wonder when I hear people say they have quite a bit of money saved up so they are not worried. That money was not easly come by and if you don't have to spend it on living expenses would they not prefer saving it? I don't know, I just see so many people who end up with nothing and nothing to even show for it. Much better to have money coming in, if only to keep you some where around even for a while. I mean be willing to do any kind of work for a while rather then completely deplete your savings just eating and paying bills and find yourself desperate when it was not necessary. You can almost never have enough money if you have nothing coming in. It is amazing how fast you can go through 30 or 50 thousand dollars doing nothing. You thought you had a pretty good bankroll but you were kidding yourself. Got to have money coming in, I can't say that enough.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I always wonder when I hear people say they have quite a bit of money saved up so they are not worried. That money was not easly come by and if you don't have to spend it on living expenses would they not prefer saving it? I don't know, I just see so many people who end up with nothing and nothing to even show for it. Much better to have money coming in, if only to keep you some where around even for a while. I mean be willing to do any kind of work for a while rather then completely deplete your savings just eating and paying bills and find yourself desperate when it was not necessary. You can almost never have enough money if you have nothing coming in. It is amazing how fast you can go through 30 or 50 thousand dollars doing nothing. You thought you had a pretty good bankroll but you were kidding yourself. Got to have money coming in, I can't say that enough.
It's not like I plan on moving down and partying every night, living like a complete idiot. I have a fairly diverse work history and would do anything. Even though I have a Masters degree, I am not opposed to working in labor or service until I can get a real position. My only other option is to stay in the DC area and be severely underpaid. I have no plans on getting stuck here because unless you love politics, bad weather, and condescending smart asses this area is terrible. 33K in DC is not very much when you consider the cost of living. Cost of living comparison says to maintain my current lifestyle I would only need somewhere between 20K and 27K in the areas of FL I am considering moving to.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
It's not like I plan on moving down and partying every night, living like a complete idiot. I have a fairly diverse work history and would do anything. Even though I have a Masters degree, I am not opposed to working in labor or service until I can get a real position. My only other option is to stay in the DC area and be severely underpaid. I have no plans on getting stuck here because unless you love politics, bad weather, and condescending smart asses this area is terrible. 33K in DC is not very much when you consider the cost of living. Cost of living comparison says to maintain my current lifestyle I would only need somewhere between 20K and 27K in the areas of FL I am considering moving to.

I'd say go for it!!!

Sounds like you are single. Master's degree...you should have no problem.

Go and live where the sun and palm trees are. Better it is to eat dry bread and in a beautiful place than to live in a depressing area with good food.

I often say...I would live in a travel trailer and be happy then to live in a nice home with debt and misery.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Hubby is MD and we were not transferred here, we decided to move and he found a position before hand so everything was lined up once we got here. I was still in school at the time so I tranferred me credits/schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: