Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:27 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times

Advertisements

When I asked about pests, the Officer mentioned that they have a lot of Palmetto Bugs and if you do not keep your home clean and spray monthly, cockroaches (German). She did not mention grasshoppers.

Driving over that mass of grasshoppers...would have freaked me out too, Sun. Ew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 18,673 times
Have been living in Lakeland for 1 year,
am not impressed, but haven't encountered any grasshoppers
Have noticed that Kathleen area is not a great place to live in (it's more rural than lakeland, but breeds illiteracy and racism and negative southern pride, and the schools out that way I have heard from parents are horrible- from abuse to Pre-Kers to sexual comments towards high schoolers, and kids reaching 11th grade and can't read!!!) So I would pay the extra money and send my kids to private school. The lakes are nice in lakeland, but there are extremely limited places to swim... only the YMCA and Gold's Gym. Lots of Meth in this area, but I don't think that's uncommon, hey- a man got murdered in my apartment before I moved in. The only friends I have made here have moved away already!
So, I'd raise my family somewhere else and am looking forward to relocating myself. Downtown's pretty but very small, and it's really too hot to do much right now. But there's a really good barbecue place, and there seems to be a lot of women's empowerment organizations around. On the other hand, I think the city has grown faster than anticipated, and new growth is poorly planned, but the houses that were here already have good design in them and the college was designed by famous architech Frank Lloyd Wright.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM

442 posts, read 2,913,034 times
I think the city has grown faster than anticipated, and new growth is poorly planned, but the houses that were here already have good design in them and the college was designed by famous architech Frank Lloyd Wright.
is'nt that just every where in florida!
and Lakeland is a nice area , on the scale of a bigger city but not as big as Orlando , Tampa or even Kissimmee...it has everything also .. it was on our list of places to move ( 3rd on the list) but since the market is in the dumper we will just stay put for the time being

Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 38,764 times
We have lived in Lakeland (North Side) for two years. I have not been impressed. Seems like they are decades behind the rest of the world. Not much shopping and not many restaurants. Some chain restaurants but not much in the atmosphere-type restaurants. I find I'm going to Tampa or Orlando to spend my money. Housing here is a good deal if you want a new house, newer open floor plans and way less expensive. If you can make your own entertainment or don't mind driving to get to something, I guess it's OK but I'd like to see the whole area improved.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:07 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn56 View Post
We have lived in Lakeland (North Side) for two years. I have not been impressed. Seems like they are decades behind the rest of the world. Not much shopping and not many restaurants. Some chain restaurants but not much in the atmosphere-type restaurants. I find I'm going to Tampa or Orlando to spend my money. Housing here is a good deal if you want a new house, newer open floor plans and way less expensive. If you can make your own entertainment or don't mind driving to get to something, I guess it's OK but I'd like to see the whole area improved.
No shopping or restaurants??? You have to be kidding! In the short time we've been here we have been to dozens of places, with hundreds more to go to, including a few fine dining places, ethnic restaurants, neighborhood haunts, pizza places, seafood and steak, and on and on. And shopping - I have everything I want within a couple miles from my house - including the new Lakeside Village open air center, which is nicer than anything I've seen in Tampa. I think if you can't find restaurants and shopping, you just aren't looking! True we live on the southside of downtown, but the mall is in north Lakeland, where you said you live,and I see plenty of shopping and restaurants up that way. Not sure what it is that you feel you are lacking. There are plenty of little ethnic and non-chain restaurants, but you have to seek them out.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:05 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
Tons of places to eat in Lakeland:
Business Search Results (http://www.lakelandchamber.com/PreferredBusinessDirectory/BusinessSearchResults/tabid/592/Default.aspx?fltBizCatq=restaurants - broken link)

Tons of shopping:
Business Search Results (http://www.lakelandchamber.com/PreferredBusinessDirectory/BusinessSearchResults/tabid/592/Default.aspx?fltBizCatq=shopping - broken link)

Shopping Lakeland FL Florida + Outlet Mall - City Guide

The above link has a bunch of everything in the town - dining, shopping, attractions, etc.

Last edited by JeepGirl118; 10-03-2007 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 PM

7 posts, read 21,066 times
I've lived in Lakeland for almost 10 years,we are moving in a few months fo rmany many reason,if you would like to know about lakeland,just ask.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:48 AM

17 posts, read 50,693 times
miaminative,

Can you say if your reasons for leaving Lakeland are related to the city? As a Miami native myself, I am interested in Lakeland and would like to hear from someone leaving the city. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:59 PM

111 posts, read 392,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaminative View Post
I've lived in Lakeland for almost 10 years,we are moving in a few months fo rmany many reason,if you would like to know about lakeland,just ask.
I think a lot of people checking out the posts are looking for information, so it would be helpful to let us know what you don't like about Lakeland.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,995 times
i live in lakeland i have lived here for two years all my friends that i have made have all moved away so im all alone again no frineds and no family.....w t f and the bars here suck on my ass except the lousy little hole in the wall boondocks which ur bound to end up in a fight in. so i feel all of u on lakeland florida really sucks ass!!! im stuck cause stupid me bought a house here and im in for 7 years at least i just moved in it in aug 2009 im from chicago and this is def the boonies for me and the shoppin does really suck i find myself in orlando or the southside of lakelland way more! good luck chuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida