Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM

29 posts, read 286,222 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that no one can give me info on Lakeland . Does this place not exist anymore? Is it that bad??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 12:24 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
Apparently not many Lakeland residents are on CD! My neighbors across the street are moving to Lakeland next week to be nearer his work. She liked the area and rent is less expensive there for a much larger house than it is here (we're about 45 miles north of Lakeland).

I personally know absolutely nothing about Lakeland, but here's a website that may give you more information:

Welcome to the City of Lakeland!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
There is at least one active member of CD who lives in Lakeland and she always speaks highly of it. Hopefully she'll be by to answer your questions.

I have a neice who lives in Lakeland. She has a family now and they really seem to like it there. She's a nurse at the hospital and it sounds like it's a pretty good place to work and just a good hospital in general.

But sorry, I don't live there and I don't have much info about it either. Click on "Search" at the top center of the page. You can find out a bit of info about it and you'll also see who all lives there. That'd give you a chance to PM them with your questions.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:57 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I just discovered Lakeland a few months ago and my hubby and I FELL IN LOVE! So much so that we are putting our house up for sale in a few months and buying there. Home prices are great (as is taxes and Ins.) compared to the rest of Florida, and it has a lot to offer.

Polk County was just awarded a prestigious award, one of 10 in the country, "All American City". See the article:

Polk One Of 10 in U.S. Given Top Honor | theledger.com

It has a great sense of community, and an extremely clean
and beautiful downtown. Even though it is in central Fla there are so many lakes you almost feel like it is coastal - lots of civic pride here.

tinabell, I think it's just that Lakeland is off the radar on this board, since most posters discuss the coastal resort towns, or the big business towns like Tampa or Orlando.

I can't wait to move!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:13 AM

18 posts, read 59,222 times
Default Lakeland

Lakeland is on my short list of places to move to. I live in south FL now and am planning to leave by the end of the year due to the enormous rise in my home owners insurance. I like central FL and Disney but have heard a lot of bad things about Orlando. I haven't heard anything bad about Lakeland at all. It's supposed to be a growing community; the downtown area is charming and there are lots of lakes as someone else said. Housing seems to be very affordable as well.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:24 PM

61 posts, read 401,029 times
TinaBell - I am looking for more information regarding Lakeland myself. I lived in SW Orlando for a lot of years, and we are looking to move to Lakeland. (My eyes popped out of the head when I saw your post-I have a sister in Manheim, PA). We have a contingency-sp? contract on our house (in TN-anyone looking to buy in East TN) and could be moving as early as the end of next month. *fingers crossed*

The toughest thing I'm coming across in my research is the schools. The good schools have waiting lists, some are 3 years long. While you wait you go to the bad school (I don't think so!) My son will be close to graduation by that time.

We've looked into private schools and are still researching. It seems to be a great alternative but haven't gotten any recommendations. Thought I'd post a message here and see what I got, though it seems the Lakelanders aren't very abundent here on CD. I have a ton of family in Lakeland but none that have concerns about schools.

We are visiting Lakeland again next week and going to scope out some neighborhoods where we found houses we like. But the schools are tougher because it's summer. If we do the private school route we can live where ever we want which is nice because we will get more house for our money.

I'm keeping my eyes on the thread and hopefully some more locals will share their knowledge.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:01 PM

627 posts, read 2,850,140 times
INSIDE the Lakeland Police Department

Here is a little info on the city PD, they have a nice map of recent incidents... I think that is a great idea!!

Old 06-17-2007, 07:29 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&D93 View Post
TinaBell - I am looking for more information regarding Lakeland myself. I lived in SW Orlando for a lot of years, and we are looking to move to Lakeland. (My eyes popped out of the head when I saw your post-I have a sister in Manheim, PA). We have a contingency-sp? contract on our house (in TN-anyone looking to buy in East TN) and could be moving as early as the end of next month. *fingers crossed*

The toughest thing I'm coming across in my research is the schools. The good schools have waiting lists, some are 3 years long. While you wait you go to the bad school (I don't think so!) My son will be close to graduation by that time.

We've looked into private schools and are still researching. It seems to be a great alternative but haven't gotten any recommendations. Thought I'd post a message here and see what I got, though it seems the Lakelanders aren't very abundent here on CD. I have a ton of family in Lakeland but none that have concerns about schools.

We are visiting Lakeland again next week and going to scope out some neighborhoods where we found houses we like. But the schools are tougher because it's summer. If we do the private school route we can live where ever we want which is nice because we will get more house for our money.

I'm keeping my eyes on the thread and hopefully some more locals will share their knowledge.
Maybe this website could be of help:

Lakeland Schools

Old 06-17-2007, 08:45 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
I just got off of the phone with Lakeland PD for 30 minutes asking about the areas (because we will be in Lakeland in July checking it out for us).

In a nutshell of that 30 mins:

One site the Officer brought me to was: http://www.lakelandgov.net/files/E4FA9D3A9F8F4B9A9D8A9D139709F695.pdf (broken link)

Mentioned that two areas that are certainly less than desirable are "Kathleen" & "Chestnut Woods."

Areas that are good are Lakeland Highlands and Cleveland Heights. She said that the majority of Lakeland is very family oriented and that they have nice activities.

Alligators are not much a problem except maybe around Lake Parker, but even then she said, the gators are not a problem when people do not feed them and they only receive minimal calls for them in that area.

She told me at the end of the call that when we find an area that we like to call them at the PD and they will be more than happy to give the raw scoop on the area and any area we have in mind.

She did say that with the crime, they are repeatedly dealing with the same 4% of the people who are committing crimes. She said it is not exactly "random" - it's basically the exact same 4% of the population each time that are always being taken into custody.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about anything, Lakeland PD was more than happy to take their time to talk with me about my questions and concerns---and I am positive they will do the very same for you.

Oh - she did mention that anyone who hurts a swan will be arrested. She gave me the background on the swans in Lakeland as well. Was an informative call.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:32 PM

262 posts, read 937,953 times
Some good information in this thread.

However...

We were several miles northeast of Lakeland the other day and encountered something just..... disgusting. Huge grasshoppers all over the roads! I've never seen anything that gross. Or that many of them. ((shudder)) So gross that we patched out of there as fast as possible with the windows rolled up. Driving right over them! Ick.

So, does Lakeland have this same problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida