Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:50 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times

Advertisements

One thing that vexes me about the illegal problem is, what about the children of illegals that were born in the U.S.? Last time I looked, the Constitution guarantees any one who's born in the U.S. full rights as a citizen. You can't force them to leave, no matter what their parent's status is. Are you going to force the parents to leave without their children? It can be said that illegals are gaming the system by having children in the U.S. but that doesn't change the fact that these kids ARE Americans by birth and have every right to stay here and they have every right to refuse to prove that they are Americans when asked by law enforcement, just like I do.
Arizona's law is totally unenforceable and will end up costing them tons of money and bad publicity. Florida would be wise to steer clear of anything similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 08:50 AM

326 posts, read 1,170,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Florida would be a much better place if they had Arizona's immigration act.

Arizona passes strict illegal immigration act - latimes.com

You know how tall the grass would grow! You know not alot of Americans know this due to sheltered lives. But if Mexicans think they get treated bad they're being hypocrits. Ask them how they treat people crossing the border from Guatemala, Honduras and other Central American Countries. I've seen plenty of times on spanish news on how the Mexican Border patrol like to rob, kidnap and even raped people trying to cross into Mexico. Maybe Mexico should improve their border patrol and treatment of their immigrants before we do.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,947 times
I am Hispanic and have to admit that this country has a serious problem with illegals. However, we should be fair and also expose the thousands of other illegals in the country. When you target only one group and bypass the thousands of Middle Easterners, Russians, Pakistanis, and Africans you create deep resentment. There are 400 million Latin Americans who today are sitting on some of the largest deposits of gold, copper, silver, gas and oil. Hopefully the backlash upon Americans "down there" will not take place. All repercussions do not have to be in terms of violence, much may take place in financial terms like contracts to the Chinese or others for instance. To the ignorant mindset this means nothing but to those in the trenches of trying to maintain jobs within the US and its closest neighbors it can be a difficult task. You want to stop illegal immigration? Seal the southern border and seal the entire continent for ten years until we can assimilate those that came. And by that, I mean the Muslims as well. They are as much of a problem as the Narcos.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I have yet to see some good answers to some questions, like;

Your 1-6 questions are off topic. The real issue with this law is racial profiling of US hispanic citizens

Quote:

7) If this law is so wrong, how else should this problem be dealt with?
Enforcing existing laws that go after the employers has been suggested several time in this thread.

Other suggestions:
- Stop food stamps and cash assistance programs unless one of the parents is a US citizen.
- I would not stop free education or school lunches. That could create a bigger problem.
-Amend the 14 amendment of the constitution so anchor babies can only apply for citizenship after they turn 18

Quote:
8) Does not a state have the right to fix a problem if the Federal Gov't does not?
I carry my license with me all the time. I would not mind showing it once in awhile to prove my legality. Living here is a privilege, not a right. The folks who seem to be all bent about this law do not seem to come up with solutions.
The way the law was initially written it required to have an ARIZONA driver license and it basically said anybody could be stopped for no reason (Yes it has been changed quite a lot, thanks to all the protests of many citizens who see the racial profiling here)

You and I don't have an Arizona DL. Chances are if this law was never amended and we were stopped by the police, you would be set free, because they can confirm your nationality by the way you look and speak. In the meantime I would be detained because my Florida license is not what the Law says and because my hispanic appearance makes me an illegal alien suspect. Of course it doesn't affect YOU, but it affects ME.
Quote:

Folks who do not believe in protecting our freedoms do not deserve to enjoy them.

Frank
I find this comment very ironic. I'm an american citizen and I don't have to be treated as a second class citizen. What's next? Detain African Americans because they are the largest minority in jails? Spay high school dropouts because they have too many kids? If you don't protect the freedoms of other citizens, the time will come when YOUR freedoms will be at stake. It reminds me of this poem:

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Princ3sS - because I could only rep you once. Well said.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
well said and Vaughnwilliams - they already do deport parents without US children, yesterday I was listening to someone who said a local church had to get money together to send back to Mexico two children, us nationals, who had no one to care for them as their parents were nabbed in a raid at a factory.
I wonder how folks will feel when they have to pay (even more) than $4 a pound for tomatoes and 99c for one orange, I find that stupid already, when the US population demands better working conditions, lunch hours, and the rest of it, the prices will go even higher and we will have to outsource our crops too!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender
I wonder how folks will feel when they have to pay (even more) than $4 a pound for tomatoes and 99c for one orange, I find that stupid already, when the US population demands better working conditions, lunch hours, and the rest of it, the prices will go even higher and we will have to outsource our crops too!

One does not need ILLEGAL labor. One needs to make sure the EXISTING laws are in place for the use of migrant and seasonal workers... you know, DOCUMENTED temporary workers. The US Visa system is already in place for industries that TRULY cannot find Americans to do the jobs. A lot of times, however, farmers and factories are lazy and don't even both advertising their jobs, because they rely on illegal labor that's fast and easy and cheap.

Besides, listen to what you're saying! "I don't want to pay more for my veggies, so near slave labor with no worker protections or safety standards is necessary."

How dreadful! (Not to mention we all pay indirectly when low wages are paid to illegal immigrants... how many tax dollars are spent per year for one child of an illegal immigrant at school, for free lunches, healthcare, etc.)

Old 05-07-2010, 07:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Just a note here........
There is a sub-forum here called "Illegal Immigration" .

It has many interesting threads on this subject. For now I will leave this thread here, because it discusses if Florida should follow Arizona.

Frank
I thought that forum went away.... where is it ?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Your 1-6 questions are off topic. The real issue with this law is racial profiling of US hispanic citizens

Enforcing existing laws that go after the employers has been suggested several time in this thread.

Other suggestions:
- Stop food stamps and cash assistance programs unless one of the parents is a US citizen.
- I would not stop free education or school lunches. That could create a bigger problem.
-Amend the 14 amendment of the constitution so anchor babies can only apply for citizenship after they turn 18

The way the law was initially written it required to have an ARIZONA driver license and it basically said anybody could be stopped for no reason (Yes it has been changed quite a lot, thanks to all the protests of many citizens who see the racial profiling here)

You and I don't have an Arizona DL. Chances are if this law was never amended and we were stopped by the police, you would be set free, because they can confirm your nationality by the way you look and speak. In the meantime I would be detained because my Florida license is not what the Law says and because my hispanic appearance makes me an illegal alien suspect. Of course it doesn't affect YOU, but it affects ME.
I find this comment very ironic. I'm an american citizen and I don't have to be treated as a second class citizen. What's next? Detain African Americans because they are the largest minority in jails? Spay high school dropouts because they have too many kids? If you don't protect the freedoms of other citizens, the time will come when YOUR freedoms will be at stake. It reminds me of this poem:

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."
Please show us the part in the law that reads that hispanics will be racially profiled and also add provide any court case that any hispanic as won a lawsuit for being racially profiled.

People need to stop listening to those who are for open borders and illegals being here and start reading the law and do some case research on this issue.

Like it or not Americans are victims of a huge amounts of crimes by hispanics who are here illegally and that is wrong.

The LAW states if you are here without proper paperwork then you are here illegals and you are criminally trespassing.

The LAW specifically states that you must be stopped, questions or give a reasonable reason why you were stopped by law enforcement other then to ask for ID etc. There has to be another reason for law enforcement to stop you or you can win this case easily.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:34 AM

191 posts, read 633,036 times
America will never be deprived of immigrants i believe if your working and paying taxes and stay clear of getting in trouble it is fine to be here... The immigrants who cause problems can go. That alw is Az will never work and will just be bad publicity.. My parents came from Portugal payed there taxes for 30 years with there green card and became citizens 5 years ago.. I am born here as a US citizen and see np in people coming here for a better life as long as there not causing trouble.. The jobs minimum wage that americans don't wanna do they will. There will always be more people than jobs either way..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida