Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,476 times

Advertisements

HI sorry to bother, but I have done so much research and was so excited to move to Destin in June until this whole oil spill mess. My husband 2 kids and I are really still interested in moving but are wondering if there will be work and a way to support ourselves there if the oil affects tourism, which I'm sure it will. My husband has a job to go to but it is totally dependant on tourism. I will need to get a job there and am very versital in what I can do. Just wondering if anyone thinks it will be doom and gloom and we should consider other options or if people think this will somewhat blow over and tourists will still come and or that jobs will be available in other areas to survive.

Thanks for any thoughts I know there are no guarantees and that this disaster will have a negative impact no matter what, I just hope your beautiful area will not be hit too hard and can revive quickly.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
It is somewhat grim now, but these clean up efforts historically move quickly. This will be the case especially if tourism dollars are at stake. Its an unfortunate circumstance but temporary, so I wouldn't put off something as permanent as a move because of it.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Id keep watching the progress they make with this latest Concrete Oil Cap that theyre putting over the leaking oil well -- its never been done before at this depth . If it doesnt work, I think this oil slick is going to start spreading fast . Right now the present slick is a long way off of Destin, but, it could really destroy the fishing industry and tourism for the Emerald Coast.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
No progress as of now on the dome. Ice started forming which hampered the operation. They're going to give it another go, but it doesn't look promising.

I probably wouldn't move there at this point. You need to watch this closely because it is majorly impacting tourism (along with many other industries.)

Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 PM

96 posts, read 357,957 times
I like Destin and all, but to be factual, Destin is a vacation city with the Population of 11,000.
Tallahassee, Florida is close to Destin, and is the biggest city in the area with over 250,000 people.
We have 2 malls , airport, and a nice big downtown area, and not far from the beach, with access to interstate 10. I highly reccomend Tallahassee if you are thinking about moving to the Panhandle area. Being in Tallahassee, you are not on the water therefore the oil spill will not effect at all, and if this oil spill passes, you are still a small drive from the coast.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Though once you hit about three museums and Maclay Gardens, you start to run out of touristy things to do in Tallahassee in the summertime.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM

96 posts, read 357,957 times
Uhhh, actually not. Everyday is spectacular in Tallahassee. Come on, get out of Niceville and experience what Tallahassee really is.

Visit Tallahassee :: Where it All Comes Together

Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Have been many a time, and I like it quite a bit. It just doesn't make me think 'vacation destination'.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
I love Destin, my goal now is to relocate there next summer. If you can work in sales you can find a job. Look up job sites and see what they have. The cost of living seems affordable. Another thing you can do is find a job with a hotel chain where you are. Make sure it is one that is in Destin. You can get job experience, put in for a transfer, and have a place to stay (hopefully with a discount) for the 1st few days before you move into your new home.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow2sand2010 View Post
HI sorry to bother, but I have done so much research and was so excited to move to Destin in June until this whole oil spill mess. My husband 2 kids and I are really still interested in moving but are wondering if there will be work and a way to support ourselves there if the oil affects tourism, which I'm sure it will. My husband has a job to go to but it is totally dependant on tourism. I will need to get a job there and am very versital in what I can do. Just wondering if anyone thinks it will be doom and gloom and we should consider other options or if people think this will somewhat blow over and tourists will still come and or that jobs will be available in other areas to survive.

Thanks for any thoughts I know there are no guarantees and that this disaster will have a negative impact no matter what, I just hope your beautiful area will not be hit too hard and can revive quickly.

Thanks!
This summer was total devastation for the tourist industry here. But..the signs are all down at the beaches and you can swim without any risk of getting oil soaked. Starting next summer, the tourist season should pick up and ill bet within a few years, it will be close to where it was before the spill. The area is nice to live in , lots to do, friendly residents, good entertainment . Come and live with us !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida