Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times

Advertisements

As a kid I had to eat whatever was given to me but the things that never figured on the "menu" and I wasn't allowed were candy and processed /junk foods. Everything I ate as a child was home made ( or restaurant made) , lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, seafood, game, beef, chicken etc... My Father introduced me to all sorts of foods as a baby. Going "eeeeeeeew gross" would have meant me going to be hungry !! And I like my food way too much for that .

I don't remember eating any processed /junk foods apart from the occasional sweet until I was in my late teens and went to the US. Candy I never particularily liked anyway and would occasionally have a couple of brands I liked when I got to my Grand-Mother who was more accommodating. I can't say I ever felt deprived though.

I remember growing up with absolutely fantastic food and I quickly learnt that a fresh apricot or peach is way, way nicer than any candy bar !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,409,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In general, if you are fed good home-cooked meals at home as a child, you generally don't have a lot f issues with food.

We ate a little of everything and a not a lot of anything.
Yup, me too!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,702 times
I had never had a tv dinner or ate infront of the tv until HS and was at a girlfriends house. Haven't had one since, nasty crap if ya ask me. 1 pop/day, and you had to ask for it, I don't drink but maybe 2 pops/month now...at most.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
My mother wouldn't let me eat chocolate bars in the summer, because they often had worms in them. In those days, they were just wrapped in paper, folded over and in a sleeve. So all kinds of things could get in. I don't know why she worried about it. Lots of things then had worms in them, ears of corn, apples, sometimes even canned vegetables.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 PM

61,748 posts, read 87,217,162 times
No limits on healthy food or home made from scratch. (I read the labels very careful).
No baby food, except formula for the first 12 weeks ( I used it only as a supplement), then gradually added rice, semolina, pureed fruit and veggies, pureed soups, pureed meats with light gravy, mashed foods, chopped foods, soft and normal. Never heard I don't like this or won't eat that. A great way to introduce all kinds of food and preparation methods.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 PM

502 posts, read 1,252,223 times
Strawberry Nestle's Quik. We were allowed to have the chocolate Quik though . Never did get an explanation...

I was obsessed with an odd concoction of PB&J in stripes in a jar, but my Mom would never buy it.

Smucker's Goober Peanut Butter & Jelly Stripes, 18 oz (Pack of 6)

I've actually never had it....now it sort of grosses me out.

Candy cigarettes. My grandmother would buy them for me though. She would smoke her Gauloises, and I would "'puff" away on my candy version. I grew up to be a non-smoker nonetheless.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 PM

839 posts, read 2,417,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
As a child, my parents didn't allow me to eat lots of food such as white bread etc. There were a couple of things I REALLY wanted to eat and begged for, but they said no way to:
1. Bacon
2. Toaster muffins
3. The "shell" chocolate sauce that you pour on icecream.

Was there anything that you weren't allowed to eat as a child? Have you had it since you grew up, or did the desire for it diminish? If you're a parent, are there foods that you won't let your own little ones eat?
Your parents wouldn't let you eat bacon???!!!???

OMG, unless you are Jewish and observe a Kosher diet, AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I would have run off and joined the circus...

My mother had a pathological hatred of Kool-Aid, popsicles, anything with red dye in it, sweet cereals, those little packages of shaved lunch meat, and soda.

She did however always have an abundance of fresh fruit available for the taking.

With my own kids I'm not quite as food Nazi as my folks were, but I share her dislike of giving soda to kids.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,820,291 times
We were never forbidden any foods nor do I forbid any foods to my son. I prepare what I would prefer him to eat and he enjoys it for the most part.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I am more ancient than most of you. OP, chocolate shell and toaster pastries were not invented yet when I was a kid. We were raised on butter, cream, whole milk, donuts, homemade cakes, pies and cookies, and yet we were thin. I'm thinking we were not given Coke, Pepsi and other sodas unless we were at a soda fountain, and it was a special thing. Even raising my kids in the 70's and 80's soft drinks were something we never had in the house.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
There was nothing forbidden, but 99% of the food in our house came from our garden or our livestock. Didn't leave much room for crap. I seriously remember as a young child wondering why people would buy vegetables from the store, not realizing that not everyone had an enormous garden or moms that did canning/preserving.

We did always have Coca-Cola in the house, though; 16 oz. glass deposit bottles when I was super young (early-mid eighties), and cases of cans thereafter, because my dad loved it, but it was kept in a locked cabinet. It wasn't so much forbidden for kids, as doled out at parental discretion.

I was born in the late 70s, and my parents were very live-off-the-land, organic-before-it-was-called-organic types, and I never did eat commercial baby food. My mom milled the grownups' food for me in a food mill, I ate what they ate. When my twin brothers were born, and my sister soon after, she went to jarred food, though, because her hands were too full with four kids six and under. Same thing happened with diapers...I wore washable cotton diapers, all my sibs wore disposables. That many kids in cotton diapers at once would have generated more wash than she could have kept up with, and there wasn't diaper service at the time (if there had been, we'd have likely not used it anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink