Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times

Advertisements

My entire office are heads-over-heels about In-N-Out. All of them. They think it's the best burger on earth. The common theme? They can't tell me why. I get different answers every time I ask.

Co-Worker: "The food is fresher! Their meat comes from clean, well-kept cows!!"

To which I ask them if they've been on a personal tour of the farm or whatever where the cows are slaughtered. Of course they haven't. For all they know, In-N-Out gets their stuff from the same farmer as everyone else.

Co-Worker: "OMG!!! The fries are amazing!!!"

They really aren't. I mean I don't know what oil they use, but the texture is just not the same as what I know they should be. There's not enough "potato meat" if that makes any sense. Plus, it forces you to eat them there, because if you take them home they're already cold and stale. They don't salt them enough either. You're forced to go Animal in order to make them good.

Co-Worker: "The taste is consistent and I can't replicate it at home!!"

This one makes no sense. Every restaurant has a consistent taste. Wendy's, Jack, McD's, Burger King, Sonic, Carls, Rally's, Fatburger, Whataburger, Fuddruckers, World Burger, etc. Each has a distinct flavor that is their own and cannot be replicated. I don't see why this gives In-N-Out any advantage.

Co-Worker: "I like small patties!!!"

O....K.

Co-Worker
: "They put all that fresh lettuce and tomatoes and onions on it - WOW!!!!"

All of the stuff I can't stand on my burger. Cheese, meat, sauce. That's it. If the burger doesn't taste good with the essentials, it's already failed in my book.

Co-Worker
: " I like how they toast the bun!!!"

Fair enough, except that one could do the same thing at home. Nothing special. Additionally, Sonic does the same thing and so does Carls.

So went my day today. I understand - they're supporting it because it's a clean, homegrown small op positive employee place where they want to show their support and fool themselves into thinking it tastes better than it does when it's all placebo. All I'm saying is, the taste is no better than any other joint that offers burgers. It's unremarkable. Yet people are treating it like the next coming. Just like iPhone 4. Jobs basically calls users stupid, they don't care - they still flock to the phone without really having a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My entire office are heads-over-heels about In-N-Out. All of them. They think it's the best burger on earth. The common theme? They can't tell me why. I get different answers every time I ask.
Here's the only answer you'd get from me: "Because I like them. Now get back to work or I'll fire you."

Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I've never gotten food poisoning from In N Out. Carl's Jr, on the other hand...

It just always tastes fresh when I get In N Out - no heat lamps or microwave-reheated burgers like at BK.

I'm not even going to touch that grey, shapeless meatlike substance at McDs.

Fatburger is alright, I like their fat fries too - but In N Out is 5 minutes away, and Fatburger is nearly 40 minutes away.

You invested quite some time in creating a thread to bash your colleague fans of In N Out - and state that it tastes no better than other burgers. Not everyone's palate was created equally, to distinguish nuanced things like microwave reheating, dry and flavorless meat, limp lettuce, etc.

I don't worship at the shrine of In N Out, but given a choice I prefer it over Carl's Jr, BK, Wendy's, and McDs.

P.S. You co-workers never mentioned the secret sauce being the reason they prefer it?

Oh - and that 'potato meat' you are referring to is most likely the super-saturation of fat since the fries come out of the freezer par-fried in what is most likely saturated fat and then they take another soak in more hot fat before it's served - at In N Out, they fry fresh potatoes. Some folks prefer that. Just sayin'.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:23 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
It's definitely cleaner than other places and uses less grease. Their fries are an acquired taste, I hated them at first but now I think I've grown to like them better than other fries. Their secret ingredient is the Animal style. Without it, the burgers are lackluster.

I think I prefer the In n Out over other burgers, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat a burger in the first place. I'd rather eat something else.

Iphones are too sophisticated for me.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:27 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
In N Out's quality has suffered over the years. The burgers used to be hand form just before being cooked. Same thing with the fries - the potatoes were sliced as needed from fresh potatoes.

No more. The beef patties are frozen and so are the fries.

Does anyone come even close to the old In N Out?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
What a strange comparison...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Maybe that's because different people like different things about it. Imagine that - people actually having a unique, individual opinion. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean others don't genuinely like it - different strokes for different folks. Why do you care so much what other people like?

Old 08-20-2010, 07:04 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,417,496 times
If you don't like them, don't eat them. I personally would prefer In-N-Out if I wanted a fast food burger. FYI...In-N-Out pays their employees the highest wages than the others and always has

Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I do like smaller burgers, I'm disgusted by 1/2 pound of ground meat at a time and don't have a large enough appetite, so I prefer fast food burgers to say Chili's.

In-n-Out IS best because they have the freshest ingredients. I think they've got the ratio of vegetable to sauce to burger to bun perfect, and each individual component is always nice. The lettuce is crisp, never limp or brown, no greenish orangish tomatoes are served, etc.

You don't like in-n-out and you don't like veggies on your burger, so skip it dude, but don't tell ME I don't know what I like or I like it because I'm an idiot.

Snap.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:31 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Their secret ingredient is the Animal style. Without it, the burgers are lackluster.
Exactly.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Why did you have to bring the iPhone into this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink