Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,533,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Um, uh, have you ever dipped French fries in curry sauce? Because, uh, yeah.
You are a VERY BAD INFLUENCE, young lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,077,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You are a VERY BAD INFLUENCE, young lady.
I'd say I'm sorry, but that would be a lie. I want everyone to experience this -- it's magically delicious.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:01 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,431,831 times
Quote:
Um, uh, have you ever dipped French fries in curry sauce? Because, uh, yeah.
No...because it's bad enough that I'm pigging out on curry! I don't need to make a stop at a fast food restaurant, too!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
No...because it's bad enough that I'm pigging out on curry! I don't need to make a stop at a fast food restaurant, too!
Talk about willpower...!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,047,653 times
Quote:
I'd say I'm sorry, but that would be a lie. I want everyone to experience this -- it's magically delicious.
curry powder+mayo+french fries=fabulous!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:23 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,024,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Indian curries are often vegetarian. Thai curries are generally not. However either can be either. Other ingredients and spices differ too. I haven't seen Indian curries with coconut milk but I don't eat Indian food often, could be wrong. Thai curries are generally based on coconut milk although that is not mandatory. You might benefit by dining at a Thai restaurant and trying several things, including a curry. If you don't like it then you're out for the cost of one dinner. If you discover you like Thai food then you've got a whole new ethnic cuisine to explore.
Indian curries tend to have dairy (yoghurt) in them -- I'm not sure if the Thai ones do. I personally prefer Indian curries in general because they are richer (to my taste).

Coconut milk is very common in Indian cuisine from southern India.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times
Thai curries tend to rely on aromatics vs indian curries tend to use dry spices for the primary flavors.

Typical for thai curries: lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, lots of cilantro, a couple of dry spices
Typical for indian: lots of dried spices, onion, ginger, garlic, garnish of cilantro

Typically thai curries start with a paste of all of the ingredients that is cooked in the coconut milk, and in indian curries the spices are toasted or fried in the oil before adding the onion/garlic/ginger.

Coconut milk is used in different sorts of dishes in indian vs thai. It seems like south indian dishes with coconut milk are either millder (without the tumeric, garam masala spices) of use much less coconut milk, just a touch.

Thai dishes tend to be both sweet and spicy in a a savory curry dish. This is less frequent in indian curries.

The island curries tend to be somewhere between thai and indian curries.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
curry powder+mayo+french fries=fabulous!
You just killed me dead with the delicious sound of this!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:11 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,927,367 times
Indian curries are my favourite, i used to use Pataks paste but now i have graduated to using all the spices, i usually make a chicken curry and a side dish of dahl (lentils) sometimes i make a mushroom and pea, or a cabbage with potato ...all recipes came from the internet, delicious...must do one for dinner tonight now...it is addictive.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM

All this curry talk got me thinking... and we went out for (red) curry tonight! It was soooooo gooooood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink