Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Seen on TV, on the LiveWell Network ("LWN" associated with ABC TV):

Bruce Aidells Thai Green Curry Shrimp recipe

Somebody please remind me to cook this soon. IMO Maesri Green Curry would be a good choice for the curry paste in this recipe. Even better (for me) I have this curry paste in stock!

I'll let you know if I cook this.

One problem, the ingredients and amounts are missing... I haven't watched the associated video yet but presume it's same as the TV program where they state ingredients/amounts. If somebody doesn't post it sooner I'll watch it and post them myself. The comments on the blog also state the ingredients are missing so if somebody watches it please add the ingredients/amounts as a comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
I'm heading to the huge Asian market tomorrow in search of ingredients to make my own delicious yellow curry. This place is super scary when you're a white person shopping alone...

Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I think of it as being a culinary tourist, Ma. I love it. My friend wants me to take her as her "tour guide." Makes me laugh but I'm happy to do it. I've been shopping at these stores since college and never had a bad experience. Haven't noticed any funny looks from any people either.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
So I made curry last night--my first attempt at homemade yellow curry. It was pretty decent. As the sauce was bubbling, I kept catching whiffs of it and it smelled EXACTLY like the kind I get from my favorite Thai place.

In terms of taste, it was 75% there. I added fish sauce (a very common ingredient in curry recipes I've found) even though the recipe on the curry paste did not call for it. Next time I'll probably omit that. Something about the taste was slightly off, so I'll have to play around with the ingredients to see if I can get it right next time.

I made Jasmine rice in my rice cooker, and since I'm used to cooking brown rice, I added a little bit of extra water so it wouldn't dry up and burn during cooking. BIG mistake. The rice was like pudding when it was done. I'm willing to bet that's a big reason the curry didn't taste as great as I thought it would.

All in all I give it an 8/10

Old 01-24-2011, 07:40 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Curry chicken is really easy to make.

I have used this thing called "Raj Rub" to make some excellent chicken curry.

Just rub that on some chicken, sprinkle it on the vegetables ( I use potatoes, carrots, onions), put it in a pot, pour about a cup of water in, put it on medium with a lid on it, and about 45 minutes later it will be done. Throw some Sriacha on it and you are all set!!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm hopelessly addicted to curry. I literally can't get enough of it!

I've tried making it at home and it's pretty gross. I buy the curry paste at the grocery store, mix it with coconut milk, a few other ingredients, veggies, and chicken, and it's nowhere near as tasty as any restaurant around me.

I'm having some curry tonight. Yellow curry with chicken, assorted mixed veggies, an extra kick of peppers, over jasmine rice.

What's your favorite kind of curry? Who here HASN'T tried curry before?
I think I may be your long lost niece. I am addicted to curry too! Since I can't make it and the Indian restaurant tend to be pricey, the closest that I can come to it is this little powered curry spice bottle I bought. I dump it on everything. Chicken, veggies, etc. Yum. I tend to like the reddish or yellow Indian curry best. Other curries (like Japanese or Thai) just don't taste the same.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
We use my grandmother's English-Indian recipe that we have tweaked over the years. The best innovation is in the preparation of the cooked chicken that we add to the mixture of apples, onions, and pineapple blended with a hot Madras-style curry powder. My favorite is Bolst, which I can no longer find, so now I use Rajah. Neither has salt added.

When I prepare my bone-in breasts for chicken curry, I use this spicy mirepoix:

On the bottom of my casserole dish I put carrot strips, sliced onion, whole garlic, whole dried cherry peppers, whole black pepper, cloves, allspice, mustard and coriander seeds, and dried lemon peel. Then I place the breasts bone-side down over the casserole, covering the entire base. After sprinkling kosher salt liberally over the breasts, I turn on the burner and let the heat release the oils in the spices. Once they are aromatic, I add just enough water to come to the top of the bone, cover the casserole and turn the heat down to poach gently for about 45 minutes. This results in chicken that has the spices infused throughout, without the rubberiness that used to happen when I boiled them like my Grandma used to. The leftover liquid is intensely flavored and just enough to strain and use in my curry. I cut up the carrots and the now-tender peppers to add to the final dish along with the mashed garlic. It is sublime.

Now our daughter is making her own and tweaking the recipe to suit her and her fiancé. It's not authentic, but it's definitely one of our family's favorite comfort foods.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
Other curries (like Japanese or Thai) just don't taste the same.
I wasn't even aware Japanese cuisine had curry before I read this thread. I've not seen it before in Japanese restaurants.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 AM

58 posts, read 87,647 times
ahh i LOVE red curry. and prik king.
and i do like indian curry as well, like vindaloo and butter chicken and korma

Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Thai curries tend to rely on aromatics vs indian curries tend to use dry spices for the primary flavors.

Typical for thai curries: lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, lots of cilantro, a couple of dry spices
Typical for indian: lots of dried spices, onion, ginger, garlic, garnish of cilantro

Typically thai curries start with a paste of all of the ingredients that is cooked in the coconut milk, and in indian curries the spices are toasted or fried in the oil before adding the onion/garlic/ginger.

Coconut milk is used in different sorts of dishes in indian vs thai. It seems like south indian dishes with coconut milk are either millder (without the tumeric, garam masala spices) of use much less coconut milk, just a touch.

Thai dishes tend to be both sweet and spicy in a a savory curry dish. This is less frequent in indian curries.

The island curries tend to be somewhere between thai and indian curries.

There are many different types of curry in India. The versions you get in America typically represent a few narrow versions, most of the time profit influences many cooking decisions. There are many non Veg curries as well. Unfortunately, in America you only see a few due to the limited chefs available to cook these curries. Many chefs come from certain regions and thus cook their verison of curry. To add further problems, in one small geographical area there can be multiple versions of food preparation. Thus, the Indian curry you taste in America is limited. Thai food is heavily influenced by Indian culture and food, but you won;t hear a Thai say that. Also, I would like to point out Indian food made in Indian restaurants is different from what I eat at home. The quality is much better at home, but I guess that varies from mother to mother lol. Many of the successful Thai restaurants that I have been to usually have women chefs/owners who cook like they are cooking for family, which to me makes it perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink