Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times

Advertisements

Do you know where your fish comes from - whether or not it is an over-fished or endangered species? Or if catching it harms other marine life?

There's a big battle going on right now in the UK over fish - fishing quotas enforced by the European Union are forcing many UK fishermen to throw away around HALF of their catch; beautiful, edible, valuable, DEAD fish going back into the sea.

Here's the campaign info Hugh's Fish Fight - Half of all fish caught in the North Sea is thrown back overboard dead
The TV show is here Hugh's Fish Fight - 4oD - Channel 4

The original idea behind the EU quotas was to protect the over-fished stocks of cod and other popular fish - but it's not working. It looks like the policies will change soon, but the problem isn't only due to the stupid laws, we (the consumers) are also responsible for continuing to demand certain types of fish, being stuck in our ways and not thinking of the consequences.

We also eat a lot of farmed salmon, which takes 3lbs of fish feed (made from small fish) to grow each 1lb of farmed salmon! Crazy.

You probably also know that tuna fishing can have by-catches of dolphin, turtle, rays.... unless caught by line & pole methods... how do you know your tuna was caught in a way that doesn't harm other marine life?

It's a big subject but it would be interesting to know how many people are knowledgeable about the fish they eat!

Of course you may be among the lucky few who catch their own fish, but it would be good to hear what you think about the threat to our fish stocks globally

Guide to fish to eat/avoid here http://www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 04:17 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
I trust the fishermen. I know that farmers respect the land much more than those who do not make a living of the land. I'm sure fishermen are no different. There are some bad "seeds" out there, in every business that will give a whole group a bad reputation.

If I were concerned, I wouldn't believe the "info" I see/read until I would go and find out myself. I wish I worried enough about snow crab, I'd love to go to Alaska! May have to take a trip to Louisiana to make sure the crawfish are raised correctly.

It is a good idea to check out where your food comes from and to learn from those who raise it.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:37 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Has anyone ever had Turbout fish. It's a white fish. Years ago we would buy it every week, the last several years can't find it. We really liked that fish.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
I am considered an "Expert in Seafood and Fish" since I have been in the business over 25 years.
I helped one book, and I was know as "Captain Seafood" in the Seattle area and worked for Pacific Seafood for many years.

Feel free to ask me any question's about seafood, fish, shellfish etc.

and OBTW Turbot, depending on where it's from can be anywhere from very good, very, very bad.

and the stuff that Safeway is selling now, Basa etc., if from Vietnam, and well, the water in the rivers contain everything from, well if you really want to know, they wash clothes, do their dishes, wash their bodies, and us the river as a toilet...and the fish are raised in pens in the same water...OMG

sure the fillets look nice and pretty, but so is a black Widow!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I basically only know that I seldom eat fish, other seafood.

Most meat eaters eat meat that's not free-range, and raised in factory-farm conditions, not too different.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Make sure you know where your fish is coming from. I would not touch anything coming from China or South America.
As Hunter Wold said.. I believe Basa is tilapia and it can thrive quite nicely on sewage, so I do not buy it at all.
Even here in Savannah, the local fish market has shrimp and other types of fish that have been frozen and come from outside of the country..you have to ask.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
The truth is we've taken around 90% of the world's large fish out of the ocean, and 70% of our fisheries' stocks are maxed out or in decline.

The oceans are in a state of "silent collapse".

Unlike domestic animals kept in factory farms, most fish is wild. We can't control, replace or re-stock like we can with cattle, chickens or sheep.

Aquaculture (fish farming) cannot be totally separated from the sea.

We need to read, watch and listen to the facts if we want to preserve the rich and bounteous harvest that the oceans can provide us all with, forever - if we are wise and careful.

It's not about personal taste; it's about potential, permanent global damage.

Seafood Watch Ocean Issues | Monterey Bay Aquarium

Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Make sure you know where your fish is coming from. I would not touch anything coming from China or South America.
As Hunter Wold said.. I believe Basa is tilapia and it can thrive quite nicely on sewage, so I do not buy it at all.
Even here in Savannah, the local fish market has shrimp and other types of fish that have been frozen and come from outside of the country..you have to ask.
Just to clarify, Hunter didn't say that Basa is Tilapia. It is not.
basa fish - Bing

I only buy catfish and tilapia, both farm raised.

Hunter ~ Wow, I didn't know that about you! Very cool, indeed!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Default Re Seafood/fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

The basa fish, Pangasius bocourti, is a type of catfish in the family Pangasiidae. Basa are native to the Mekong River Delta in Vietnam and Chao Phraya basin in Thailand.[1] These fish are important food fish with an international market. They are often labeled in the North America as basa fish or bocourti.[2] In the UK, the species is known mainly as river cobbler,[3] with basa also being used on occasion. In Europe, these fish are commonly marketed as pangassius or panga.[4] Other related shark catfish may occasionally be falsely labeled as basa fish, including Pangasius hypophthalmus (iridescent shark) and Pangasius pangasius (yellowtail catfish).

Don't be swayed by the nice looking "white" fillets: I know where they came from and say a TV program re this

Now, Trout from Idaho Springs is a different story

Happy trails,

and remember what Capt'n Seafood Says: Just because it looks good, doesn't mean you what to eat it

Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
95% percent of our meals are vegan. However, since we've been living in Alaska we have added red salmon to our diet. Like all Alaskans we know exactly where it comes from- off of my husband's fishing pole during the red salmon run LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink