Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think that you will find this is a regional trait. Many places, like my home in Cincinnati, please and thank you goes with every communication with wait staff and it would be awkward to hear it otherwise. But, Chicago which was my home town is much more curt or direct as they might say. I doubt anyone there thinks it rude to say: "hey waiter, more butter." But in Cincinnati, you would never hear that said in any restaurant regardless of how gritty it is. It would start with "excuse me" and end with "please" and if the butter arrived it would be greeted with "thank you."
I haven't been to Cincinatti but in other parts of OH, AZ, NV, CA, TX, NY, NJ, MI, WI, IN, IL and Washington DC it's rare. Whenever I bring this up everyone always insists I haven't been to their state but I think people are just so used to this that they don't notice it as unusual any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
In this country people don't linger over their meals as they do in Europe. Many Americans WANT their plates removed ASAP, get the check and be gone.

Plus, if you sit at your table a long time it means someone else isn't seated and eating. The restaurant is loosing sales and the server is loosing tips. That server is depending on her tips to make a living wage in this country. If you are lingering (and I'm not sure if you are or not but if you are) the nice, courteous thing to do is leave a big tip.

(No, I'm not a waitress. But I have great sympathy for anyone on their feet all day trying to make a living.)
If the restaurant had people waiting and no empty tables than I would leave quicker but our average restaurant bill for 2 is usually around $150 so we are 'good customers' and usually leave the 20% tip and more if its deserved....

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Well, you probably haven't spent much time in Southern Europe but the decibel level of personal communications would shock you. Sort of like what you might experience in an inner city high school in a big city. You may think that is a joke. Some people find it charming. I found it off putting.
I have witnessed this in Spain and Italy but it wasn't in especially public places, and I've spent a lot of time in both countries. Perhaps it's the company you keep...

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I haven't been to Cincinatti but in other parts of OH, AZ, NV, CA, TX, NY, NJ, MI, WI, IN, IL and Washington DC it's rare. Whenever I bring this up everyone always insists I haven't been to their state but I think people are just so used to this that they don't notice it as unusual any more.
People are rude as h*ll in the restaurants here in Florida.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
In this country people don't linger over their meals as they do in Europe. Many Americans WANT their plates removed ASAP, get the check and be gone.

Plus, if you sit at your table a long time it means someone else isn't seated and eating. The restaurant is loosing sales and the server is loosing tips. That server is depending on her tips to make a living wage in this country. If you are lingering (and I'm not sure if you are or not but if you are) the nice, courteous thing to do is leave a big tip.

(No, I'm not a waitress. But I have great sympathy for anyone on their feet all day trying to make a living.)
In most restaurants, servers have specific table assignments as opposed to customers being assigned as they come in. So if one server has a table that sits for two hours instead of three seatings, it actually costs the server money out of her pocket. Don't be surprised if the server is not overjoyed with a table of people who reduce her income for the night by $50 or more.

And it may not matter that there are empty tables in the restaurant. Those tables may not even be assigned.

I eat promptly and move to the bar if I am going to spend much time. One of my favorite restaurant groups, Ruby's, if you are there for more than a cup of coffee or an after dinner drink, the server will say: "Mr. ruby would like to buy you a drink in the bar" which yahoos take as a treat but sophisticated diners know means: "move on, you've overstayed your welcome."

Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM

Oh yes I forgot FL but there were plenty of British tourists when we went so that might have skewed things!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,272 times
Quote:
Much of Europe has dispensed with the tools and eat many things with hands that we would not consider. I suppose there is a historical basis for this. Of course, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria and Germany are notable exceptions to that and is far more mannerly than the US. But as far as hygiene and manners are concerned France, Italy, Portugal, and Spain would shock most American who have not visited there. Some may prefer that. I do not. There was discussion about food sharing above. In Italy is common to see people picking things off of others plates at the table with fingers. Food which will not be washed before served is typically out in the open and is handled and put back. The presence of meat cases and dairy cases are the exception and not the rule in Europe. One could not legally conduct the typical French restaurant in the US because food is rarely stored at the required temperatures. Europeans are far more confortable yelling about personal matters in a public place than we are comfortable with here. I have been there many times and find the culture of those four countries charming but shocking.
I really have no idea where you have been to in Europe but short of cold cuts and cheese or maybe olives I never see people eating with their fingers or taking food from a shared plate. Even pizza is eaten with a knife AND fork in Italy.....I have seen people eating directly from a shared plate in an italian restaurant - a 4 * one in NYC ..... and yes they were American. dried meats and hams are supposed to be left outside to cure. I have no idea what a meat / cheese case is ?? is this a refrigerated cabinet ???

Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,077 times
Ok! I admit it. I use the 'zigzag' method. All the time. Didn't even realize it. I've known about the Continental and American, but forgot all about it. I guess the exception is if I'm in a hurry or eating at my desk.

And I do think most wait staff know etiquette but mostly they ignore convention in order of ease; if you haven't noticed, etiquette is a much more lenient in the USA. But in the end, it's harmless as the majority of people are much more lax and comfortable with it.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Oh yes I forgot FL but there were plenty of British tourists when we went so that might have skewed things!
The Brits are usually pretty polite, its usually Americans from other parts of the country that are so rude.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:26 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is a nice article that explain the use of utensils: COTW - Make the Right Impression - Table Manners
Nice find....except a bit dated. He forgot "turn off you cell phone!" and "no texting at the table".

His description of eating with a knife and fork vs. eating with "just" a fork made sense to me. I'm a veggie and often my entree (penne in marinara anyone?) doesn't require a knife. Holding a knife in my right hand and fork in my left in that case just seems....silly and pretentious.

But he did say the fork-only (or spoon-only) style of eating required that the utensil be held in the right hand. Even for lefties? That seems a bit archaic; kind of like the nuns wacking the hands of students who dared to write with the left-hand.

It was interesting that he touched on chopsticks. But why stop there? In some cultures food IS eaten with hands, scooped up with bread, eaten from a communal bowl. As others have posted "when in Rome..." I find that following the lead of my host(ess) works 90% of the time.

Great topic OP! I'm pretty much happy as long as my dinning companions obey the no-cell-phone rule, keep their elbows off the table, and eat/chew with their mouths closed. Oh, and wear clothes. I married a nudist, who lived in a clothing-optional community for a time, and well humans eating while nude is just...uh. Not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink