Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I like the idea of Naked Cooking, especially the donut making episode.
Now where did I put that donut holder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
Not to mention all that flowing blood as a direct result of Average Joe's lack of chopping, slicing and dicing skill!

Sales of blue band aids would skyrocket.
Ah, memories of SNL with John Belushi spoofing Julia Child

Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 AM

133 posts, read 280,989 times
Default Cooking Show that might work?

I came up with the idea of a "Iron Chef Real world challenge". Take these fancy chefs, send them to small towns in various parts of the country, give them $50, a car with quarter tank of gas, and 3 kids. Tell them they have 3 hours to make the best meal they can for 6 in a kitchen with nothing beyond a few pots and pans. No assistants, nothing in the pantry but flour, salt and sugar. Oh, and by the way, they're responsible for cleaning up after dinner.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
I came up with the idea of a "Iron Chef Real world challenge". Take these fancy chefs, send them to small towns in various parts of the country, give them $50, a car with quarter tank of gas, and 3 kids. Tell them they have 3 hours to make the best meal they can for 6 in a kitchen with nothing beyond a few pots and pans. No assistants, nothing in the pantry but flour, salt and sugar. Oh, and by the way, they're responsible for cleaning up after dinner.
Oh, yeah - and it would be best of all if they had to do that in competition with some local in the same small community, who has to do that every day. I know who I'd bet on to win!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,702 times
Quote:

I'd watch it...

Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Better yet, forget the $50. Drop them off into the kitchen and have them prepare a nutritious and tasty meal with only the ingredients in the kitchen.

And c'mon, THREE hours? Few have that much time. Give them ONE hour.

It reminds me of some of the culinary programs I have seen in Chicagoland. It takes some of these students 30 minutes to clean and cut-up ONE chicken. The old standard was about 40 an hour.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
I'm on the team of people who are sick of cooking reality shows. I'm actually sick of reality shows in general (never liked them, but man, that's all anyone watches anymore), but there are plenty of contest type cooking shows already. I don't even watch the Food Network anymore, and am very thankful to have The Cooking Channel, though I'm sure it's only a matter of time until they start showing a bunch of garbage too...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
Yet another vote AGAINST those reality cooking shows. The cake contests, the cupcake contests, the "worst cooks" contests. UGH

I love the shows like Ina Garten, Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, Giada, etc. The cooking contests..not so much. I find myself watching less and less of that network....sad. I used to love it.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
My wife did a series of shows where they "broke into" the homes of people, and tried to put together something edible from what they could find in the kitchen of the kinds of people who wouldn't care if you broke into their house and cooked in their kitchen. like single artsy males. This was for community television, and of course, the victims were insiders they knew would be cooperative with the spirit of the thing.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I used to love Gordon Elliot's Door-Knock Dinners.

He had a chef and a camera man, and he'd wander into some suburban town, knock on a door, and tell the person the chef would make a delicious gourmet meal from whatever they had in the pantry.
I couldn't relate to the fact that it was an expert chef doing this, but I could definitely relate to the idea that nothing I had on-hand could possibly make a great meal.

It was cool to see what could be done with stuff we all seem to have in our kitchens. In one show, they found herbs growing in the person's yard, that they hadn't even known were there.

Of course, I watched this back in my 20s when my pantry usually consisted of Triscuits, Cheerios, a can of green beans, and vodka. so it was nice to dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink