Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times

Advertisements

I don't know how eggs are produced from the chicken and raised to be shipped to the grocery store... does anybody know? How the chicken lays it? How the egg is watery when we break it, instead of having a fetus chick or whatever u may call it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:42 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,422 times
If you buy eggs at an everyday grocer they come from virtually an egg factory. There are rows upon rows of wire cages, each containing three chickens. Food goes by on a conveyor belt, there is a water trough. The bottom of the cage is slanted and open enough for the eggs to gently roll down and away from the birds. After a year most of their feathers are gone either from fighting or plucking them out from boredom. That is their whole life from around twenty weeks to their first molt (changing of the feathers). At first molt the birds go to become soup or weiners or.....A new crew is brought in.
Hobbiest often buy them at this point because after the molt they feather out nicely and lay much bigger eggs, even double yokers.
There are no chicks in the eggs because the girls have never met up with a guy. They simply ovulate a lot. About 300 eggs a year.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I buy cage free eggs, so in my head, a farm wife comes out of her farm house with a nice crisp white apron and a basket, and gathers the newly laid eggs from happy, healthy chickens in the barnyard. Then she washes them and places them in the very environmentally incorrect double layer plastic egg holder, and her big strong farmer husband drives them to the Publix in his old, but well maintained red pickup truck.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Well, ahumm. I just go out to the chicken house every day and see if the girls have been working.
I get 1-2 everyday. One brown one from my New Hampshire X and one "Green egg" from my Aracana.
Yes, they are furtile since I have one happy rooster..
These eggs hold up for up to 3-4 weeks since they are so fresh. Cost, well they are free range and I do supp. them some egg layer/grit.
Best eggs one can get.
Happy trails, over and easy..

Old 05-10-2011, 12:56 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,405,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I don't know how eggs are produced from the chicken and raised to be shipped to the grocery store... does anybody know? How the chicken lays it? How the egg is watery when we break it, instead of having a fetus chick or whatever u may call it?

Have you never had an egg before???

Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 PM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Google!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Is that a serious question???
or should we move it to Great Debates?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:41 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
The reason that hens lay unfertilized eggs is because in large hen houses where they produce the eggs the hens live their lives in tiny cages placed in rows upon rows of other hens and just sit there for their entire lives laying eggs. They never meet up with a rooster so the egg never gets fertilized.

The difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs comes down to whether a rooster has been involved or not. Hens do not need a rooster to lay an egg; they do so (almost daily) on their own simply according to light patterns. However, if a rooster does mate with a hen, the eggs she produces are fertilized and, under the right incubation conditions, can bear chicks. No rooster means zero possibility of the egg ever becoming anything more than that.

Chances are you’ve never eaten a fertilized egg, because nearly all eggs sold commercially are produced by hens that have not mated. When fertilized eggs are sold for consumption, there is no danger of eating a developing embryo for a few reasons:
All eggs sold in the United States as food must be refrigerated, a process that halts any growth inside the shell. Also, the interior of any egg intended to be sold as food must be inspected—accomplished by shining a bright light through the shell (called candling)—which highlights any irregularities, such as a developing chick. These regulations hold true whether the eggs are intended for a large chain like Safeway or for the farmers’ market. Eggs with irregularities never make it to retail and are destroyed.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Oh, my.

Hens lay eggs with or without roosters around (just like human women ovulate whether or not they are sexually active).

As a farm kid, I grew up gathering eggs daily from our chicken house (not a factory farm or large scale commercial confinement, just a little hutch and yard with a dozen or so hens and a couple of roosters). We hatched our own chicks, so we kept roosters. Basically the same setup as if you buy free-range eggs from a farmer's market.

Because chicken embryos take 21 days to incubate, an egg that's collected from a henhouse the day it's laid, even if it's fertilized, which it may or may not be, is going to be indistinguishable from any other egg, and once it's removed from that environment (and put in, say, your fridge), it's not going to incubate on its own.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Thanks. I feel comfort knowing there's no chance of a chick or chick semen being in the egg, but I don't like how they're caged and pluck eachother. So I'm gonna try and lay off eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink