Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,124 times

Advertisements

What about some mammals like lions that only eat meat and that is all they need in their diets. We are mammals too so maybe thats all we need(us humans) in or diets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
There are also mammals that eat only vegetables ( herbivores).

People eat both. Because they don't need to hunt for meat anymore, and because they like diverse food
People are also educated and know that only meat in their diet would make them sick. Veggies are a healthy balance.

http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm

Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,981 times
To survive, no.

To be healthy, yes.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Sailors died at sea after a couple of months from Vitamin C deficiency, before they made it a point to carry limes, which kept well and provided nutrients to the diet which could not be found in the usual fare for long sea voyages.

Most mammals can synthesize Vitamin C, but primates and bats cannot, and must find Vitamin C in their diet. This can only come from certain vegetable sources.

You can't just cluster all animals, or even all mammals, into a single basket of nutritional requirements. Every species is different.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:04 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Humans aren't lions.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:07 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
I like eating vegi's Love most of them and dont think i'd want to even try to not make them a part of my diet.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Most mammals can synthesize Vitamin C, but primates and bats cannot, and must find Vitamin C in their diet. This can only come from certain vegetable sources.
Vitamin C can be obtained through sources such as caribou liver, whale skin, and seal brain; because these foods are typically eaten raw or frozen, the vitamin C they contain, which would be destroyed by cooking, is instead preserved. -Gadsby, Patricia (October 1, 2004). "The Inuit Paradox". Discover Magazine. pp. 1–2. Retrieved 24 December 2009

Hmmm. Given the choice I'd eat an orange but its nice to know that seal brains would do the trick. Actually caribou liver would be my go-to vitamin C choice if I were in the arctic. :-)

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i dont think we need vegetables to be healthy. but its good to have a variety in your diet to make sure that you arent deficient in something that you could have have gotten in fruits and/or vegetables. in reality, nobody knows exactly how much of every vitamin and mineral we need to be healthy. nobody really knows exactly how each vitamin or mineral helps what part of the body. there are a lot of claims that x vegetable may be beneficial for x part of your body. most of that probably isnt true. one good thing about vegetables is you can eat a lot of them and they are very low in calories. another good thing is they are delicious. but i think the credit they get for their healthiness is exaggerated.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM

274 posts, read 370,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sailors died at sea after a couple of months from Vitamin C deficiency, before they made it a point to carry limes, which kept well and provided nutrients to the diet which could not be found in the usual fare for long sea voyages.

You can't just cluster all animals, or even all mammals, into a single basket of nutritional requirements. Every species is different.
Nutritionists have induced scurvy in lab animals by simply switching their diet to a high refined grain diet, and then reversing this by switching the diet to low carb. The theory is that the refined carbs and sugar in diets actually prevent the body from absorbing vitamins from meat. Those old tyme sailors existed on a diet of sugery meal and junk like that - so you could argue that if the diet were healthier, you wouldn't need all the limes to offset it.

Vil Stefansson wrote a book about living for 11 years with the The Inuits, and marveled at how they thrived on their meat and fish only diets, with no record of cancers or any other Western diseases.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
I LOVE veggies & fruits. I wouldn't want to live without them.You know what I mean... The older I get...meat just grosses me out. hubby & I use to grill steaks in the summer... grill pork steaks...grill chicken. I would make ribs... We just don't do all that anymore. If were having a party then we will for the guests, but we could do without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink