Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you tried gelato?
Yes, I love it 39 68.42%
Yes, I hate it 1 1.75%
I neither love it nor hate it 11 19.30%
No, I want to try it 5 8.77%
No, I have no desire to have it 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times

Advertisements

I can understand why some folks really like it. It's definitely smoother than ice cream, and that's nice. Flavor-wise, it all tastes the same to me (ice cream and gelato, that is). I just can't help but think it's been overly-romanticized in America, due to movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
One can only see (and give an educated opinion about) the real thing where it was created, imo.

It is like sushi, it is not the same in Japan and elsewhere. I am absolutely not saying that the other versions aren't good, they are just not authentic.

Gelato in Italy is different. Even the flavors available are different. The ingredients are incredibly local, many stores make very small batches, organic is practically standard, etc. It is just pure high quality and attention to details.

My opinion is based on having it in Italy. But having had gelato there or not, others are free to think differently, of course.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I was not sure what people meant by "Gelato" when I first heard people on C-D mention it because I had it in Italy and to me it is simply what Italians call their divine Ice Cream. Except of course their Ice Cream is second to none... Possibly because they seem to only use the best ingredients and it comes in so many flavours.

There is Ice Cream and then there is Ice Cream. I have now bought some stuff which calls itself "Gelato" over here in the UK at the supermarket and it was to me virtualy unedible. Way, way too sweet. I love the creaminess of good quality ice cream but that stuff was also saturated in sugar and tasted almost like creamy syrup. Very off putting.

I had "Gelato" in a wonderful Italian store in London though which was to die for. Their Hazelnut flavour was so, so good. I also adore French artisanal ice cream which comes in so many unbelievably yummy flavours. There is a little ice cream store up in the small walled town of Baux de Provence which is worth the trip alone !! My Husband a skeptic when it came to the difference between what I term real ice cream and normal ice cream almost fainted with delight at his ice cream served in a proper cone ( not the horrible tasteless water wafer rubbish) and said it was "orgasmic" !

And don't get me started on "Sorbetto" , that is possibly even better...

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
The best I've had is from Capogiro in Philly.

13th and Sansom.

Mexican Chocolate is the best!

Capogiro Gelato Artisans : Makers of Fine Artisanal Gelato and Sorbetto

Old 07-24-2011, 12:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Hands down: The best that I ever had is in Italy....very smooth, creamy, rich....melts fast......some of them are much like 31 Flavors---->they might have at least 5-8 different types of chocolate, many, many fruity choices, all kinds of nuts, many with candy in them, on and on......

Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
here is some pictures of gelato available here. i also took a picture of the menu to see the flavors. i forgot to check the price. ill check later.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam;
20154955Gelato in Italy is different.
thats more realistic than saying "gelato is this and ice cream is that." just because one version isnt the same as another doesnt mean its not gelato. its like saying ice cream that isnt haagen dasz ice cream isnt real ice cream. its still ice cream/gelato but its not the version that you prefer.

findinghope is just totally ridiculous. she said something about pistachio ice cream sometimes using almonds while gelato has pistachios. i dont know if thats true but im sure you do have at least some pistachio ice cream using pistachios so what is the point in saying that? also, if you make pistachio gelato with almonds, is the gelato police going to come knocking on your door?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
CaptainNJ, I don't recall having Reese's or Bubbly Bubble Gum gelato.

What I recall are flavors like these:

Gelateria della Scimmia - Gelati Napoli, gelateria napoli, gelato artigianale, gelato alla crema, ricetta gelato, gelati napoli, sorbetto napoli, coviglia, spumone (click at "gelato artigianale" and "detagli" and scroll down for flavors)

Gelati DiVini - gelateria artigianale, barocco ibleo, turismo in sicilia, prodotti tipici, enoteca (I mean, seriously, look at those flavors... torrone, datteri... that is why I said on an earlier post "no... it is not" (the same as ice cream.))
And it is not only about the flavors, many of those ingredients are grown locally, organic being the standard, with crazy good quality. It is stuff that simply cannot be made in a factory, on huge batches.

As for the pistachio thing, all I can say is if the flavor is pistachio, there should be only pistachios, right?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
CaptainNJ, I don't recall having Reese's or Bubbly Bubble Gum gelato.

What I recall are flavors like these:

Gelateria della Scimmia - Gelati Napoli, gelateria napoli, gelato artigianale, gelato alla crema, ricetta gelato, gelati napoli, sorbetto napoli, coviglia, spumone (click at "gelato artigianale" and "detagli" and scroll down for flavors)

Gelati DiVini - gelateria artigianale, barocco ibleo, turismo in sicilia, prodotti tipici, enoteca (I mean, seriously, look at those flavors... torrone, datteri... that is why I said on an earlier post "no... it is not" (the same as ice cream.))
And it is not only about the flavors, many of those ingredients are grown locally, organic being the standard, with crazy good quality. It is stuff that simply cannot be made in a factory, on huge batches.

As for the pistachio thing, all I can say is if the flavor is pistachio, there should be only pistachios, right?
those flavors arent really anything crazy. for the most part, they sound more interesting because they are in italian as opposed to english. its an interesting concept that rice gelato is all the sudden more authentic when its called ricetta gelato.

but i think your bottom line would be that gelato is better in italy than gelato in america. i can easily get gelato in america, but its gonna be tough for me to get my hands on authentic italiano gelato. my wife was in italy and loved the food, didnt try the gelato though. i think part of your gelato opinions also relates to italian food in general.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-24-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 04:17 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
those flavors arent really anything crazy. for the most part, they sound more interesting because they are in italian as opposed to english. its an interesting concept that rice gelato is all the sudden more authentic when its called ricetta gelato.
I'm pretty sure ricetta does not mean rice in Italian. I believe rice in Italian is risotto? Personally, I love, love, love gelato. I've had it all over Italy, and in the US. I went to the spa on Friday which included a lunch and they honestly tried to pass vanilla bean ice cream off to me like it was gelato. I didn't say anything to the waiter, but let me tell you, there is a HUGE difference between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink