Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on sugar substitute/ sweeteners in the market?
They are fine. I use it/recommend it 6 42.86%
They are detrimental to health. I am neither using it and nor I will recommend 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,801 times

Advertisements

I have been reading how sugar substitues can actually make you gain.

Would like some feed back concerning this issue.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 05:35 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
I've been saying that FOR YEARS! With sugar, your body knows what to do with it! Those "fake" sweeteners---your body has NO CLUE! Have you ever noticed the size of folks who order (or continually drink) diet drinks????? Hey--it's not working!
Eat real sugar--it's a real food! True, it may not have any "nutrition", but LOTS of things we eat have no nutritional value...it doesn't matter. If your body knows how to process it, no harm--no foul!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,632,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I've been saying that FOR YEARS! With sugar, your body knows what to do with it! Those "fake" sweeteners---your body has NO CLUE! Have you ever noticed the size of folks who order (or continually drink) diet drinks????? Hey--it's not working!
Eat real sugar--it's a real food! True, it may not have any "nutrition", but LOTS of things we eat have no nutritional value...it doesn't matter. If your body knows how to process it, no harm--no foul!
Well, some of us are diabetic, so we must limit our sugar intake. Even sugar in 1 cup of coffee for me would be my daily limit, so i use sweet-n-low

Old 10-01-2010, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,972 times
Default Best Sugar Substitute

What do you think is the best sugar substitue for baking? I use Splenda quite a bit especially for tea but I notice that in baking it seems to leave a bit of an after taste & also acts different than regular sugar. I do not have diabetes but I do need to keep an eye on my sugar intake. Help!!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:39 PM

15,584 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Agave nectar, but you'll have to modify your recipes.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:59 PM

963 posts, read 3,034,578 times
Whoops...wrong forum! I think you meant to post here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-drink/

Old 10-02-2010, 06:46 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,661 times
Honey! Honey can be substituted for sugar and is much better for diabetics. Plus...it's natural. I would not use those sugar substitutes. Yuk! Try honey. It is absorbed more slowly than sugar. Just remember there are more carbs and calories than sugar so you need to adjust the rest of your diet accordingly. Before using Honey, ALWAYS let your doctor know. Each person has their own health variances that may or may not allow you to use honey.
Here are some other tips...

Up to one cup, honey can be substituted for sugar in equal amounts. For example, you can substitute 1/2 cup of honey for 1/2 cup of sugar called for in a recipe. Over one cup, use about 2/3-3/4 cup of honey for every cup of sugar. This is because honey is actually sweeter than sugar.

Honey is a liquid, so you'll need to reduce the liquid in the recipe a little. Do this at a rate of 1/4 cup less liquid for every cup of honey used in the recipe.

Honey is also a little acidic. To counter-act this, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every cup of honey used.

Honey causes baked good to brown more quickly, so reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees F and watch carefully as the time gets close.

Read more: How to Substitute Honey For Sugar in a Recipe | eHow.com How to Substitute Honey For Sugar in a Recipe | eHow.com

Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Splenda sucks. I have a terrific "go-to" cheesecake recipe that uses Equal and most people can't even tell that the recipe is sugar-free.

Diabetic Recipes | Cool Lime Cheesecake Recipe

I'd love to find some good fat-free cake and cookie recipes that also use Equal instead of Splenda. So far I haven't had much luck. I'm not diabetic but my mother is and I am extremely mindful of everything I cook for her. I never serve her anything made with sugar. Or honey or agave...I was told by her doctor that both of those are a big no-no for her. I guess some diabetics can tolerate honey or agave, but it sends my mother's blood sugar sky-high. So does any citrus fruit.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Splenda makes products specifically suitable for baking - they have a brown sugar and white sugar version that is half sugar, half Splenda. They also have a product that is 100% Splenda, and measures like real sugar. The trick is to add the Splenda last, right before baking, to keep the taste and consistency right.

Agave is really good too, as it has a lower glycemic index. Honey tastes great and has the added benefit of having anti-bacterial properties, but I would go easy on these two since they do both contain sugar.

Check out Truvia also - it is a new sweetener that claims to be natural.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 PM

16 posts, read 37,150 times
My wife has used applesauce before with good results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink