Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:26 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,436,553 times

Advertisements

I noticed yesterday on one of the main staples of my house has being sold at a lesser weight for the same price, Potatos.

I went to buy a 10 pound bag and noticed it's down to 8 pounds.
I have noticed this with ice cream which is hard to find in a half gallon size anymore.

Anyone notice anything else, i'm sure there are many but I just havent payed much attention.
How about blocks of cheese like Kraft or cabbot Chedder ect..?

Waiting for the gallon milk to go to 3.5 quarts.

Last edited by Caligula1; 06-14-2011 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,285,361 times
Noticed this when I bought pasta yesterday. 16 oz box is now 12 oz and higher in price

Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 AM

61,940 posts, read 87,554,606 times
Oh, yeah! Shrinking continues. It upsets me that they think consumers are idiots and will not notice the difference.
Every other package seemingly has a "great new look" for the "same great price", but:
toilet paper has less paper, cereal and juices - skinnier boxes, jars false bottoms, bags of chips are filled with more air, cleaning and hygiene products are shrinking too.
They also play with the different units of measure. I noticed it with the ice cream: the issue is that one manufacturer sets up the unit price in ounces, where the competitor selling a true pint does its unit pricing by the pint. Same with paper toilet and towels - where the unit can be the feet of toweling you buy or it can be "sheets," a unit for which there is no standard measure. Cut the sheets smaller and take a few feet of length off the roll, and you can still have more sheets - but less product for the same money. Look at the sliced bacon. Used to be 16 oz now is only 12. Sugar bags used to be 10lb and 5 lb, now they are 8 & 4 lb.
Ah, and there is another trick: go to Walmart and check on Boyer's Coffee: the price tag on the shelf says 1 lb, but on the can is written 12 oz. Now, you are a smarty pants, and are looking at the price tag on the shelf, checking the price per ounce and think: does that mean that the price per ounce number shown was calculated based on 16 oz vs 12 oz ??
New tricks do not end here: some people check the prices by serving sizes, so I check the serving sizes - rice used to be a serving size of 1/2 cup cooked, now is officially 1/3 cup cooked....

Remember when the price hike used to be excused by fuel going up?, but when fuel goes back down they don't lower the prices of things back down!

More examples of shrinking packages:
U.S. Companies Shrink Packages as Food Prices Rise - DailyFinance

Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,097,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Noticed this when I bought pasta yesterday. 16 oz box is now 12 oz and higher in price
Y'know what I think? I think those 1 lb (16 oz) packages of pasta are mislabeled. I'm convinced of it, in fact.

When I make pasta for my husband and I, we used to get four large main dish servings out of it. (When we have pasta, we never have side dishes, so that's the meal.)

Now when I make it, and we each take a serving, there's no way that the leftovers are enough for two more of the same size. We're not taking more the first time around, by the way.

We keep meaning to weigh it before we cook it, but we always forget.

I smell a pasta scam!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:30 AM

61,940 posts, read 87,554,606 times
^^^ That's a not a bad idea. I weight prepackaged produce and most goods do not contain the amount listed. I wonder what else is cheated on, and make me think: is the meat weight correct??

Old 06-14-2011, 10:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,547,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, yeah! Shrinking continues. It upsets me that they think consumers are idiots and will not notice the difference.
I agree with you, however most people I know don't even check prices much at the grocery store, let alone check prices per ounce. I always have, my daddy raised me right!

I have one friend who says she lives on a very tight budget as a single mom of two girls, however she has 1) way better TV's than my one TV 2) is buying an IPAD 3) buys a ton of overpriced prepackaged food instead of cooking from scratch.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,822,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I agree with you, however most people I know don't even check prices much at the grocery store, let alone check prices per ounce. I always have, my daddy raised me right!
I check prices all the time, always have. Labels are very deceiving and sometimes one has to have sharp math skills not to be scammed at the grocery store!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,954,454 times
Of course deception continues. Soon gasoline will be sold by the pint. Our wallets are doing the biggest shrinking of all!! Corporate greed is at an all time high!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM

420 posts, read 1,371,693 times
i swear I just got out of the pool....

Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,954,454 times
Like charges and tips in restaurants..double dipping ..cake and eat it too!!! More money less product ...not one or the other!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink