Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times

Advertisements

My son takes his lunch to school, and I take lunch to work, but neither of us have a microwave, or refrig.
He takes the lunchables with him sometimes, and peanut butter and jelly.
I usually have a toasted tuna sandwich.
We are in need of some new lunch box ideas. Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I usually take cheese, crackers, a piece of fruit, maybe some carrots.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Anything between two slices of bread: salmon salad, egg salad, chicken salad, meat loaf, cold cuts, cheese - sharp cheese with mustard, mild cheese with tomato, lettuce and mayo.

Add a little container of something for contrast, interest. It could be potato salad, cole slaw, carrot/celery sticks, three bean salad, anything that you like or have on hand.

Buy a wide mouth thermos and take leftover spaghetti, mac and cheese, soup or stew.

Have a theme day and take some hummus, a pita, a few olives, a couple of stuffed grape leaves, pistachios and fruit.

Make a big salad and throw in some protein like chicken or ham.

Always take dessert. It could be a few raspberries, a couple of squares of chocolate or a bit of rice pudding. You may not even eat it after lunch, but it'll be waiting for you.

Can you tell that I used to work at a place where lunch was the highlight of my day?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:33 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Thanks for the ideas! I know that we both are getting tired of the same ol` thing, but these ideas will help!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
How about some kind of tortilla roll ups, or some kind of wrap. You can take tortillas and spread with cream cheese, layer with ham or turkey, add some green chilies if you like and roll up then slice into spirals. You can do the same thing with pimento cheese, ham and baby spinach. They can be made in advance, and stored in the fridge then just pop them in your lunch in the morning.

My son used to love to do chicken ceasar wraps. Buy flat bread wraps and grilled chicken strips (or cook your own if you have time) and prepackaged ceasar salad. Just lay the wrap out and layer on the salad, chicken, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and roll it up. Then just put a little bit of ceaser dressing in a tiny plastic container, to apply as you eat.

My husband always takes yogurt, fruit, cheese sticks, crackers and dried cranberries.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Be careful though, I once got severe food poisoning from eating a lunch that did not keep my leftovers cool enough. I was down for 5 days, lost 15 pounds.

Stay with things that will still be okay if they get a bit warm.

I did do canned soup, even not heated, it is pretty good.

The "Eat Clean Diet" book has tons of ideas for lunches for coolers.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I like to take good, whole-grain crackers or pita chips instead of bread. Then I take olives, cheese (feta, fresh mozzarella, chipotle cheddar or swiss are some current favorites) fresh tomato slices (from my garden)and some hummus. Or guacamole. Or salsa.

Some fresh fruit also, and fresh veggies. I like to take extra so I can snack on whatever is left in the afternoon.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Well, all things considered....I kind of don't think that people will listen to me, but I will tell you anyway. Taco Bell. If you like Taco Bell, you could go and buy some tacos and eat them refrigerated the next day, with some taco sauce and if you have it, extra cheese. They are delicious cold. Trust me. I know that you do not have a microwave, but they are also delicious reheated in a micro..
It's an all-together different experience from the hot tacos, but it is also equally wonderful.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Hey, I know what you mean about cold tacos. I occasionally go to Taco Bell and get vegetarian tacos or burritos (substitute beans for beef) when I travel for work. There are always refrigerators in the hotel rooms, so I eat them cold the next day for lunch.

I don't like them reheated, though. They taste very good cold, but do not reheat well.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Be careful though, I once got severe food poisoning from eating a lunch that did not keep my leftovers cool enough. I was down for 5 days, lost 15 pounds.

Stay with things that will still be okay if they get a bit warm.

I did do canned soup, even not heated, it is pretty good.

The "Eat Clean Diet" book has tons of ideas for lunches for coolers.
Curious to know what it was that you ate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink