Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,370,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I don't remember those at all. They do look delicious! I missed out on a very good thing.

I always loved and still do love Mallow Cups.....didn't miss out on those!

I remember saving up the cardboard that the cup sat on in the wrapper......but I can't remember what we saved them for. Free Mallow Cups maybe? I think they had a coin printed on them: one cent, five cents, ten cents.
You can get them here Home | Valomilk ... A couple of times a year I order stuff from back home (Buffalo) I can't get down here or is not readily available... Clark Bars, Skybars, Kits, etc ... and Webers Mustard from back home.

Thanks for bring up the Mallow cup cardboard... I forget too what we were supposed to do with them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
You can get them here Home | Valomilk ... A couple of times a year I order stuff from back home (Buffalo) I can't get down here or is not readily available... Clark Bars, Skybars, Kits, etc ... and Webers Mustard from back home.

Thanks for bring up the Mallow cup cardboard... I forget too what we were supposed to do with them!
Thanks for the link. I put it in my favorite places. Maybe I will treat myself for my birthday.....to some old time, good candy.

This thread has got me thinking......about buying a whole bunch of old-time candy to give as small gifts to friends and family our age.....for X-mas or birthdays. I think it would be a hit!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,108,839 times
[quote=CarolinaWoman;20680037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post

I would eat the pretzels first!
Oh yeah! Heavens sake i remember now
thanks
loved this snack
I remember i would eat at minimum half the box

loved em

Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I remember when we were kids we thought it was a real treat to get a TV dinner. LOL

Sometimes we got them on Mom's bowling night.
Yes me too
we usually had a tv dinner when our parents would leave for the evening
and I always had the opportunity to pick out what TV dinner I wanted

for some reason in my mind it was like a gourmet dinner
i thought the thing was so cool back then

in particular i loved the apples with the cinnamn desert
why? who knows! but in my mind it was GOURMET
in retrospect it was me just not knowing what a god meal really was at the time

Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,864,680 times
We always thought tv dinners were a treat too. My mom always cooked from scratch and didn't work outside the home, but if she and my dad went out at night (rare) we could each pick a tv dinner.

Remember the three-compartment foil container? We thought they smelled sooooo good while they were baking in the oven.

My favorite was salisbury steak. I loved the mashed potatoes.

For an extra special treat, sometimes the babysitter would let us set up the tv tables and we could eat in front of the tv. TV dinners on tv tables in front of the tv.....we thought we were so cool!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Amazes me too just how much food packaging has changed
Take for example coffee cans
Now they are plastic tubs

Remember Cranberry juice used to be in glass jars along with countless other products including mayo and mwhip
even peanut butter

Paper towels are so skinny now days the rolls are only half the size they used to be.

TV dinners I dont even think they even make those anymore
Frozen pizza has evolved beyond anything of its former life
Jiffy pop popcorn - i dont even see that any more the kind where you had to put it on the stove burners

Remember when a snack size of potato chips was literally a snack size not 10 chips per bag

you had whole milk or skim milk no in betweens
no flavor for your coffee but just cream plain cream either in the dairy case or in a jar that was some form of powder

the meat counter actually had meat clerks who really cut the meat it was not cut in some warehouse in a different location but cut to order and packaged for you on the spot.

Ice cream was always in a rectangle box and an exotic flavor was moose tracks

the only water at the grocery store was distilled or the fountain in the back for patrons

a candy bar actually filled your chocolate needs you did not have to buy the king size mainly because the regular size was the king size

there was not a choice between paper and plastic it was all paper and the baggers used to haul your goods to your car even without asking it was service

remember too there was no scanner but just a belt and a tag that the clerk punched the price

times have changed oh my

those were just some of things i remember , see if anyone can add to the list
I remember when my hubby worked Fr and Sat nights for the L.A. Times (helped bring in money and I was a stay at home mom) my little girl loved the 25 cent chicken pot pies. She knew we couldn't have them when daddy was home for dinner cause he liked real homemade food. JIffy pop was so much fun and reg pop corn, in bags had to be popped: it usually burned but it was still fun.

Yep candy bars were a size that filled us up and satisfied us, plus it was real choc, now many bars are not real chocolate.

How about when cheese was real cheese and not a cheese product. I was floored the other day to learn Valveta in now a cheese product.

I guess we could go on and on.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
We always thought tv dinners were a treat too. My mom always cooked from scratch and didn't work outside the home, but if she and my dad went out at night (rare) we could each pick a tv dinner.

Remember the three-compartment foil container? We thought they smelled sooooo good while they were baking in the oven.

My favorite was salisbury steak. I loved the mashed potatoes.

For an extra special treat, sometimes the babysitter would let us set up the tv tables and we could eat in front of the tv. TV dinners on tv tables in front of the tv.....we thought we were so cool!
sounds like a good memory for you

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM

yes we could go on and on , thats what is so fun about this topic

Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
yes we could go on and on , thats what is so fun about this topic
and that is what I love about this forum period. We have fun (most of the time) we learn from each other and we discuss fun subjects.

Nita

Old 08-31-2011, 01:04 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,864,680 times
Remember when Cracker Jacks contained an actual toy prize inside? Now it is just a dumb fake tattoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink