Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:13 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

I always clamored for Great Shakes (I still have the cup and lid), Shake A Puddin, Fizzies (you can still get them, but they're nowhere near as good) and was absolutely hooked on Milk Shake Bars!

Until I graduated from college, my grandmother would send me Clark bars and Clark peanut butter kisses every Halloween. I never told her that I lost a filling on the peanut butter kisses one year ...

Another addiction was Pizza Spins, a corn snack covered in orange pizza spices and shaped like a wagon wheel. They were introduced by General Mills at the same time as some other snacks: Bugles, Whistles, and Daisy*s. Only Bugles survived. I don't remember Whistles; I remember the Daisy*s used to cut the roof of my mouth!

General Mills Snacks, 1967 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pleasantfamilyshopping/3279954073/ - broken link)

Then there was Teem, a lemon-lime pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Sometimes we got them on Mom's bowling night.
You had a cool mom!

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 08-31-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missik
".... Cracker Jacks ..... "
Oh yeah, I used to mostly empty out the Cracker Jacks to find the toy, which wasn't anything special but it was still a surprise .... even if a lame surprise. Also I anticipated lots of peanuts in the box, and felt gypped if there were only one or two.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:42 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
We got TV dinners when our parents were going out too. I also loved the apple dessert! And pot pies! LOVED THOSE! I'd forgotten about those! It was always sooooo hard to wait until it cooled off enough to eat! I always burned my mouth. i didn't eat much candy as a kid I guess, i don't remember much of any of those you guys are talking about. Also never heard of Doo Dads, although I did love Bugles! And for some reason, my favorite cereal from back then, Quisp, just popped into my head. It had a blue-clad martian or some such character on the box. And I was happy if I didn't get many peanuts in my Cracker Jack, I preferred the caramel corn anyway!

Old 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Remember when Cracker Jacks contained an actual toy prize inside? Now it is just a dumb fake tattoo.
and they cost 10 cents. We still would buy them when we went to the Sat matinee because we wanted that little toy. Of course we bought all our candy at the little store next to the movie because everything was cheapre.

Nita

Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
We got TV dinners when our parents were going out too. I also loved the apple dessert! And pot pies! LOVED THOSE! I'd forgotten about those! It was always sooooo hard to wait until it cooled off enough to eat! I always burned my mouth. i didn't eat much candy as a kid I guess, i don't remember much of any of those you guys are talking about. Also never heard of Doo Dads, although I did love Bugles! And for some reason, my favorite cereal from back then, Quisp, just popped into my head. It had a blue-clad martian or some such character on the box. And I was happy if I didn't get many peanuts in my Cracker Jack, I preferred the caramel corn anyway!
I remember the cereal Quisp, it was introduced long with one called Quake. Both cereals had an alien or martian theme.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
TV dinners? Yes, those were cool. Peas and carrots, fudge brownie, mashed potatoes, meat loaf, all in a tin, with foil on top, and you cut out the foil for the brownie. I loved the ham ones...and they took 30 minutes, in the oven...no "instant" food back then. I also used to make those "boil in bag" meals, Creamed Chipped Beef, Turkey and Gravy, Barbeque Beef...

Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I always clamored for Great Shakes (I still have the cup and lid), Shake A Puddin, Fizzies (you can still get them, but they're nowhere near as good) and was absolutely hooked on Milk Shake Bars!

Until I graduated from college, my grandmother would send me Clark bars and Clark peanut butter kisses every Halloween. I never told her that I lost a filling on the peanut butter kisses one year ...

Another addiction was Pizza Spins, a corn snack covered in orange pizza spices and shaped like a wagon wheel. They were introduced by General Mills at the same time as some other snacks: Bugles, Whistles, and Daisy*s. Only Bugles survived. I don't remember Whistles; I remember the Daisy*s used to cut the roof of my mouth!

General Mills Snacks, 1967 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pleasantfamilyshopping/3279954073/ - broken link)

Then there was Teem, a lemon-lime pop.

You had a cool mom!
Teem was awesome- used to get that fountain at the little league snack stand. it was sweet
The advertisement for bugles i remember those corn snacks used to stick them on the tips of my fingers like every other kid on the block

Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
When I was a teen I loved mashed potatoes and gravy. I used to buy some kind of instant gravy that came in a bar, about the same size, shape and texture as butter. It had markings on the wrapper so you could slice off however many servings that you desired. Then you just melted it and served it on top of mashed potatoes. I can't remember what it was called, but I used it for a year or two until I learned to make real gravy.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
TV dinners? Yes, those were cool. Peas and carrots, fudge brownie, mashed potatoes, meat loaf, all in a tin, with foil on top, and you cut out the foil for the brownie. I loved the ham ones...and they took 30 minutes, in the oven...no "instant" food back then. I also used to make those "boil in bag" meals, Creamed Chipped Beef, Turkey and Gravy, Barbeque Beef...
Believe it or not, the modern plastic microwave tv dinners aren't that much faster to cook, and you still have to cut an opening over the dessert.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

How about when cheese was real cheese and not a cheese product. I was floored the other day to learn Valveta in now a cheese product.

As far as I know Velveeta has always been a cheese product...

Last edited by seattlerain; 09-01-2011 at 12:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink