Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever eaten a pawpaw?
Yes 10 47.62%
No 7 33.33%
What the heck is a pawpaw? 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

i have always wanted to try one but have never had the opportunity.
earlier this summer i found one but it was way too early for it to be ripe. maybe someday they will be domesticated to the point they'll actually be raised commercially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
Yes. Papayas are sweet and creamy inside.
One of the good things about living here is having hispanic neighbors who share their food culture with me, and me share mine with them occasionally. They seem to eat alot of fresh things in their natural state, being more healthy for you, of course.
I probably would not have tried/bought them otherwise.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Yes. Papayas are sweet and creamy inside.
One of the good things about living here is having hispanic neighbors who share their food culture with me, and me share mine with them occasionally. They seem to eat alot of fresh things in their natural state, being more healthy for you, of course.
I probably would not have tried/bought them otherwise.
sorry for the confusion, i meant American pawpaws, like these:

File:Asimina triloba3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Not only have I eaten a paw paw, I've been in Paw Paw.

(Small town in Michigan. Probably best known for their wine festival.)

Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Never eaten one....

supposedly they are like a mang0-banana kind of sweetness....you go ahead and try the first one and let us know if you survive unscathed....

if we don't hear back, well then, we will know what happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sorry for the confusion, i meant American pawpaws, like these:

File:Asimina triloba3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by greatblueheron; 09-29-2011 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I had an old neighbor we called PawPaw when I was growing up. Suffice it to say, I never ate him.

I've never seen or heard what you speak of.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
The farm I grew up on had some wild Paw Paw bushes or trees. To me they looked more like a bush than a tree. The fruit was sweet and the time span that it was ripe was very short.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I always wanted to, but apparently they are too delicate to be shipped, and ripen too fast as Teach said.

I've read that there are frozen paw-paws, or maybe it was the mush or the juice that's frozen, but only the fresh fruit is supposed to be like some kind of ambrosial mix of ...... oh, let me just drag in the wiki article like I always do:

Quote:
........ Pawpaw fruits have a sweet flavor somewhat similar to banana, mango, and cantaloupe,[2][16] varying significantly by source or cultivar,[2] with more protein than most fruits.[2] Nineteenth-century American agronomist E. Lewis Sturtevant described pawpaws as

... a natural custard, too luscious for the relish of most people"[10]

Ohio botanist William B. Werthner noted that

The fruit has a sweet custardish wild-wood flavor peculiarly its own. It is sweet, yet rather cloying to the taste and a wee bit puckery—only a boy can eat more than one at a time.......... Asimina triloba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not only have I eaten a paw paw, I've been in Paw Paw.

(Small town in Michigan. Probably best known for their wine festival.)
i have also been in pawpaw, MI. i was crushed by the utter lack of pawpaws i found there. same situation in pawpaw, WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Never eaten one....

supposedly they are like a mang0-banana kind of sweetness....you go ahead and try the first one and let us know if you survive unscathed....

if we don't hear back, well then, we will know what happened to you.
i've heard they're pretty good, with a texture like an avocado, really thick and creamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I always wanted to, but apparently they are too delicate to be shipped, and ripen too fast as Teach said.

I've read that there are frozen paw-paws, or maybe it was the mush or the juice that's frozen, but only the fresh fruit is supposed to be like some kind of ambrosial mix of ...... oh, let me just drag in the wiki article like I always do:
thanks for the article, woof. 'only a boy can eat more than one at a time,' eh?
well just see about that

Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
My dad grew up in the 20's & 30's. he lived on his Uncles farm. Lots of acreage, no runniing water...had to walk out to the out house...He told me stories how they had many paw-paw's over the years. He & his Uncle loved them. They do ripen & don't last long at all.

Anyone ever have a persimmon. My Dad & Uncle had a lot of persimmon trees. Just don't eat one that isn't ripe. It will make your lips/mouth pucker like crazy. not good. The birds always told them when they were ripe. LOL...
Wonder if the birds got puckered beaks if they weren't ripe.LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink